U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,327 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I agree with the bad vibes you're talking about for sure! I live in PA with my girlfriend, but she is from a small western WA town. Besides her immediate family, her other family was eh towards me for the most part, and most people there seem cold and rude. My girlfriend gets annoyed at people here because of how talkative and friendly they are. Guess they come off to her as annoying, which says a lot about out there...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Quimper Peninsula
1,968 posts, read 2,216,421 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by camSM View Post
I agree with the bad vibes you're talking about for sure! I live in PA with my girlfriend, but she is from a small western WA town. Besides her immediate family, her other family was eh towards me for the most part, and most people there seem cold and rude. My girlfriend gets annoyed at people here because of how talkative and friendly they are. Guess they come off to her as annoying, which says a lot about out there...
Ask her... I bet it is not because they are talkative and friendly.... I bet it is what they talk about she finds annoying..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,327 times
Reputation: 10
She just isn't accustomed to friendly outgoing people for the most part.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Quimper Peninsula
1,968 posts, read 2,216,421 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by camSM View Post
She just isn't accustomed to friendly outgoing people for the most part.
oh, just wondering... Because I get "annoyed" with small talk, when people go on and on bragging about their material world stuff. I get especially "annoyed" with gossip.

IMO just because peoples jaws flap and they smile, does not mean they are "friendly and outgoing" ..

Hope it works out for the two of you..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 12:32 PM
 
854 posts, read 818,099 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
oh, just wondering... Because I get "annoyed" with small talk, when people go on and on bragging about their material world stuff. I get especially "annoyed" with gossip.

IMO just because peoples jaws flap and they smile, does not mean they are "friendly and outgoing" ..

Hope it works out for the two of you..
"Jaw flapping" and smiling can lead to friendship. I really can't believe you mentioned material world stuff because that is precisely what most people I met in the PNW are obsessed with and obsessed with telling you about it. There just as many materialistic people living on the west coast as PA. Your pre opinion about people in PA really leads me to believe I am right about my assumptions of the general public of WA. Why is it that people in Washington assume everyone else in the country is materialistic and they are somehow exempt from this concept. Highly inflated egos mixed with resentment for the rest of the country not caring about them.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-17-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 02:35 PM
 
854 posts, read 818,099 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
No it is blister rust an invasive species people from the South East brought with them to Washington state..

-------------------
Olympian..
Interesting!
I wonder if your tree is immune, or just the fact that it was planted later after the pathogen wiped out all the existing trees.?

Invasive species are something else!
Caucasians are the worst invasive species.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Lake Country
1,961 posts, read 1,207,336 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAndSettling View Post
Some of you all are purposely over-complicating what I am saying, and I think you are doing it on purpose in order to create straw man arguments and red herring arguments against me. It feels like some of you all are just looking for any little contradiction in my words so that you can "win" a debate through semantics. I am a sharp guy, I know all these little debate tricks, I learned them during my junior year of high school

I have lived in many places, and in most places I lived, I can just do my thing and mind my own business and strangers treat me with respect. In most places I lived, there is an unspoken rule that people should respect each other.

Around here, people tend to be really nosey and get in your business. They don't really respect each other unless they decide you are worthy of respect. They are judging you from an extremely ignorant standpoint. And their approach when they do this is usually crude and obnoxious.

So basically, you will have crude and ignorant guys getting in your business and judging you against their own very limited world view. And it seems like they get a thrill out of messing with people like this. They think it is manly to mess with other guys.

Small minded wannabe tough guys just looking for a little ego boost, looking for a way that they can make themselves feel like a real man. The insecure machismo I see around here is such a joke.

It's not only rednecks who so this. It seems to be how many people are raised out here. Although the redneck type of folks do tend to do it the most and they do it in the most annoying manner. Most of them are really brainwashed and they just don't even realize it at all. I used to think rednecks were alright folks, but now I am starting to realize that lots of them are really are not good people.

As for fighting. I never start fights with people. I walk around being really cool every day and I act friendly. But I react to what people do. And in my opinion. If a person is yelling at you and making confrontational gestures, then that is a very valid reason to fight. If a person is staring at me, obviously talking about me, obviously trying to direct negative energy at me. Then I think a confrontation is appropriate. And if it escalates into a fight then that is fine.

If I walk into a place and there is a guy staring at me. Furling his brown in anger, making gestures that he doesn't like me. Then I will walk up to him and start up a confrontation. I don't think this is out of line at all. That's just how it is in my world.

I am going to start teaching some guys a lesson around here. It's going to be fun. I really HOPE some guy tries to mess with me today. If they want to play games I can show them some new games.
How about reacting with a smile? Kill' em with kindness. Be an example. Why does your perception of their assessment of you even matter? Show them what kindness is. Show them they don't need to stoke their ego around you. Show them what a real man is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Lake Country
1,961 posts, read 1,207,336 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
We moved here to slide into retirement. After our neighbors found out that there was nothing we could do to benefit them, they stopped speaking to us. In fairness to Washingtonians, none of these people are natives. On one job I was able to get a few people to talk to me but never formed any friendships. On another, my coworkers were born here and either ignored or bullied me. I have never had these experiences in many years in the workplace. My spouse started work in another town (not a lot of work here, understandably) and it took over 2 years for him to form superficial acquaintances.

As I stated in an earlier post, it is stunningly beautiful here, with countless outdoor opportunities. We have just resigned ourselves to a life of social isolation.

I think it would be fine here if:

1. You have a lot of money and are willing to spend it

2. You have family and friends who already live here

3. You join a church and spend a lot of time there

4. All of the above
Sorta confused as to why there was nothing you could do to benefit your neighbors. In our Midwestern neighborhood we benefit (help) each other all the time...lend something, help with a project, gather the mail and keep an eye on the house when out of town, let the dogs out, shovel snow or blow the driveway, etc.

Glad you brought up the church thing since that has struck me while reading nearly every negative post on this thread...wondering if these folks have tried a church for meeting friendly people. There are all kinds of churches...some with such a generic approach to worship that pretty much anyone who appreciates nature would prolly feel comfy. And working together on a project that helps others (local or global mission support) is a great way to get to know people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Lake Country
1,961 posts, read 1,207,336 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Off topic: That's correct. Western White Pines were indigenous to Western Washington until a fungus ("blister rust") killed off most of them. The map on Wikipedia is so outdated as to be wrong. This map from Oregon State University is more correct:



I've explored the Peninsula a bit, and the only Western White Pine that I have ever seen lives in my front yard. It was planted in the 1950s and is sort of my "trophy tree". (Hence the post. )
Continued off topic: Does this mean we can't easily grow healthy white pines in the back yard when we move to Sequim? We LOVE our whites here in SE WI! Of course they are a different variety (Pinus Strobus aka Eastern White Pine) but I was hoping the Western White Pines would be similar.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Quimper Peninsula
1,968 posts, read 2,216,421 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
"Jaw flapping" and smiling can lead to friendship. I really can't believe you mentioned material world stuff because that is precisely what most people I met in the PNW are obsessed with and obsessed with telling you about it. There just as many materialistic people living on the west coast as PA. Your pre opinion about people in PA really leads me to believe I am right about my assumptions of the general public of WA. Why is it that people in Washington assume everyone else in the country is materialistic and they are somehow exempt from this concept. Highly inflated egos mixed with resentment for the rest of the country not caring about them.
Is this in your opinion or universal fact?

Note I stated IMO... PS... I happen to like the vibe of folks in Pittsburgh proper quite a bit... Not a lot of Jaw flapping with a smile... But plenty of deep, heartfelt meaningful relationships formed...
Besides... all that dark Somber Gothic architecture is awesome... Plus it was a "working mans" town... Not a lot of jaw flapping smiling place... Good depth of character exists in Pittsburgh, and much of Pennsylvania... Heck when in Dutch Lynden NW corner of Washington one would think they were in Pennsylvania...!!!!

So you might as well add the people there to you list of "highly inflated egos with resentment to the rest of the country" list....

Have you ever considered for a moment... Not everyone is like you, and does not value the same cultural qualities as you?

Can you not stop bashing people who do not act and think like you?

Talk about ego's...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top