U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM

854 posts, read 818,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Is this in your opinion or universal fact?

Note I stated IMO... PS... I happen to like the vibe of folks in Pittsburgh proper quite a bit... Not a lot of Jaw flapping with a smile... But plenty of deep, heartfelt meaningful relationships formed...
Besides... all that dark Somber Gothic architecture is awesome... Plus it was a "working mans" town... Not a lot of jaw flapping smiling place... Good depth of character exists in Pittsburgh, and much of Pennsylvania... Heck when in Dutch Lynden NW corner of Washington one would think they were in Pennsylvania...!!!!

So you might as well add the people there to you list of "highly inflated egos with resentment to the rest of the country" list....

Have you ever considered for a moment... Not everyone is like you, and does not value the same cultural qualities as you?

Can you not stop bashing people who do not act and think like you?

Talk about ego's...
The way you respond to criticism pretty much sums up the region. Have you ever considered that you state your opinions in a factual manner in the same way I do? I will bash that place all I want to, I received a fair amount of bashing myself. I know that nobody is like me, I found that people in the Pacific Northwest were like some sort of cult bent on changing outsiders or just rude to them. They were fine with you being there but you have to assimilate to become an equal. I for one can't stand yuppies who think they are adventurers, and that's all there was there aside from the wannabe southern rednecks in the rural areas. One big state of identity crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 01:46 PM

18 posts, read 22,930 times
I like Washington's small towns myself Oak harbor and Anacortes are nice places or try Langley

Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 9,940 times
My husband and I are native Californians who moved up to NW Washington to retire 8 months ago and to be closer to family. We have been pleasantly surprised with how friendly and open the people up here have been. We were warned about the. "Seattle Freeze" but havent experienced it up here in this small town. I was amazed at the sense of community and caring displayed after the Oso slide. We experienced more of a disjointed sense of community in the small Southern California town we were in than we have up here. Just my two cents worth.😊

Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 AM

218 posts, read 292,438 times
I dunno. Reading through your OP I kept thinking you could just replace WA with SC and it'd still be true. Southerners will smile and wave but that means absolutely nothing. I did pick up that exact vibe you're talking about in a small town in Eastern WA. Whoa.

I've come to think of Oregon as the more civilized PNW state. WA is a more harsh environment, more harsh landscape, and a lot of people to match. I love it dearly though.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 PM

4,888 posts, read 6,657,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAndSettling View Post
Hello everybody. This is my first post here, and I feel compelled to tell you all about the reality I am facing here in small town Western WA. I have a lot to say about this area where I have been living for the past two years.

I've lived in Centralia and Yelm, and have travelled all over the state. Before living in Washington I lived in several different states and different countries, so I have seen many different cultures and ways of life. I feel like I have a knack for looking at people and places, and getting down below the surface to see the real deal.

The general vibe in the small towns of Western Washington is really bad. People tend to act extremely unfriendly and cold. This is definitely the most unfriendly state in the US I have ever lived in. It is ALL about the individual out here and there is very little sense of community. Many people only care about themselves and the small circle of people in their lives. Half the people out here just act like cold, mean, angry folks unless they have some reason that they need to be nice to you. They just act mean and rude by default.

There is a very fake surface level politeness, but beneath that politeness the person is judging, sizing you up, thinking bad thoughts about you. It is definitely the most two-faced place I've ever seen.

Small mindedness.... it is very bad here. I meet so many people who are VERY uneducated and ignorant. Lots and lots of people who meet the stereotype of "trailer trash". Just extremely simple minded and crude. Very nave and sheltered individuals with VERY limited horizons. But of course, these people also act as though they know it all and they have the attitude of entitlement

Violence, lots of violence. Most of it is passive-aggressive. Most of the guys in small town Western WA have a major insecure macho complex. They have the swagger and the mean look, constantly trying to be tough. The worst thing about it is that most of these guys are actually cowards. Most of them just act that way because they are packing a gun, or they are with friends. If you actually confront people in Western WA on their passive-aggressive behavior, face to face, one on one, they will just give you that fake two-faced smile and act like they don't know what you're talking about.

It's like a bunch of savages who pretend to be civilized people.

The partisan politics is ridiculous too. Most people I met in Yelm and Centralia were EXTREMELY ignorant about politics. But of course, they all had their strong views on things. They were basically just brainwashed to think in a certain way, and now they are mindlessly following the path they were lead on. Like true sheep, they are programmed to think a certain way, but they think it is their own opinion.

Of course there are some good things about the people too. But overall I have to say that I am disappointed with people around here. It is just so passive-aggressive and narrow-minded out here. So many people with a chip on their shoulder who just act lousy.

I have not made friends with any native born Washingtonians yet, just a bunch of flaky superficial connections with them. Every time I do meet someone who wants to hang out, they are also a transplant from outside WA! I have now started to seek out people grew up outside of WA for socializing. People who grew up here are just too cold and closed off.

Basically the culture in small town Western WA is just totally full of shallow rudeness and ignorance. And the people don't know what they are doing because it's just all they know. It's a backwards place. Lots of the behavior is just so petty. Everybody is hating on each other, but why?

This is a fairly accurate description of Centraila

Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 PM

555 posts, read 579,254 times
BadApples:
"I found that people in the PNW were like some kind of cult wanting to change outsiders or just be rude to them. They were fine with you being there but you have to assimilate to be an equal."

That describes it perfectly. The place reminds me of some Left-Wing caricature of 'Duck Dynasty' with Seattle politicians Ed Murray and Kshawma Sawant as the patriarch and matriarch.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 PM

854 posts, read 818,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
BadApples:
"I found that people in the PNW were like some kind of cult wanting to change outsiders or just be rude to them. They were fine with you being there but you have to assimilate to be an equal."

That describes it perfectly. The place reminds me of some Left-Wing caricature of 'Duck Dynasty' with Seattle politicians Ed Murray and Kshawma Sawant as the patriarch and matriarch.
Some of my statements earlier stereotyped a whole group of people, to their credit they aren't all like that. I have met some really genuinely good people in the PNW. The culture to me is strange though and a good proportion of the population is like this. It was something I could never become accustomed to and I don't think I wanted to for good reason.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:58 AM

244 posts, read 221,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Interesting!
I wonder if your tree is immune, or just the fact that it was planted later after the pathogen wiped out all the existing trees.?
I am unsure on the matter. The US Forest Service is looking for Western White Pines which are immune to blister rust. The US Forest Service is not not very far away at all from my trophy Western White Pine. They must drive by it weekly at least. I doubt that they have ever noticed it. Perhaps I will get around asking Pete about my tree.

It sure produces many pine cones, but well, it is "lonely" and has no offspring.

(Yes, this is off topic. )

Old 06-02-2014, 04:29 PM

555 posts, read 579,254 times
Bad Apples:
It's interesting that you mentioned the atmosphere as 'cult-like.' For an area as sparsely populated as the PNW, have you noticed how many serial killers, religious cults, and conspiracy-theory wingnuts this area's produced? I think I read somewhere that the Seattle Metro area has one of the highest per capita populations of registered sex offenders too.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:33 PM

119 posts, read 157,681 times
Yes, most towns in the PNW are very cult like. Each town is like it's own little world out here. Isolated in it's own little cultural bubble. It seems very "tribal" to me, full of little groups of people who are very insular and culturally isolated from the outside world.

You are definitely expected to conform. Lots of people around here can't handle seeing a person doing something different than what the rest of the town is doing.

If you are in a liberal place like Seattle or Portland, you must conform to that or be shunned. If you are in a conservative town, you are pressured to conform to that or else people will mess with you. There is this HUGE liberal vs. conservative battle going on in the PNW, with both sides hating on each other. The mass media has got people around here fighting amongst themselves based on left vs. right rhetoric.

It's very local yocal here. Each town tends to go into an overly-extreme direction and become a parody of itself. Many people are oblivious to what's happening outside their own towns. It's hard to be a person in an international mindset out here because most people are so provincial.

It is very, very cult like here. No doubt about it. It's because people out here isolate themselves so much and they become very myopic in their thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington