U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 10:08 AM

1,968 posts, read 2,217,303 times

Advertisements

These threads are silly..

It is 100% about individual personality and experiences.

I am a transplant, and find virtually everyone to be outgoing, and social.

It is about YOU... Your actions, your behavior so on and so forth. Yes their are regions I do not fit in... However, it is me not the regions fault...

Grow up people, quit whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 PM

181 posts, read 460,906 times
Aberdeen, Centralia, Shelton.. Those are some pretty tough areas. Tight communities with high unemployment. I lived in Rochester for awhile, and Oly for about 8 years. . . I would have to say none of the towns you mention would be high on my "move to" list.

There is another thing I noticed with a lot of logging (and ex logging) towns is that they seem to be uninterested in education.. kind of a "my daddy was a logger, I will be a logger" mentality that persists long after the logging is gone. One of the things I like about rural Willamette Valley Oregon is the emphasis a lot of towns place on their schools compared to Washington. Dont get me wrong they arent all warm and fuzzy jumping in your arms down here either, but they are more outward looking.

Centralia/Chehails had a pretty decent McMenimens at one time, but other than that and thrift store shopping I dont recall much I liked down there.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:46 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,231,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAndSettling View Post
Great posts. And you are right, you just have to accept it, or move. I am certainly not going to change the culture here.

Washington is a broken culture. It's a culture of individuals doing whatever they want. If there is ever a national emergency or a disaster, I think Washingtonians will be shooting each other left and right, because they hate each other.

I guess I should just become a rugged individualist myself to handle this vibe.
You need to find where the mellow, positive communities are. If SW WA wasn't working for you, why keep going back? Try the Olympic Peninsula--Sequim, Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Silverdale. Try east of Seattle--Monroe, Leavenworth. Don't write off a whole state. I'd avoid the coastal towns, though, like Forks. As someone else said, the logging towns.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 09-27-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 02:24 AM

860 posts, read 683,019 times
One thing for sure, SF Bay area isn't it.
"We gotta get outta this place even if it is the last thing we ever do".

Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 AM

4,807 posts, read 4,200,832 times
There is a job in my field open in hospitals in Forks, Port Townsend, Wenatchee and Walla Walla, WA, right now. You've got to love variety. I'm in a small, not far from the border, New Mexico town right now. My job is a good one here and my wife and I love the area. This is a place where spiritual matters are important. People here love and respect animals very much. That is a lot to like about a place for me.

Here's where my mind has been lately, though, regarding Washington state. I was born in Seattle, raised in Edmonds. Love the Seahawks, like the Mariners. I'm getting a real bad case of homesickness. My Mom lives in Mukilteo, one sister's in Okanogan, another is in Edmonds and yet another is living in Renton. I miss my family a lot. Phone conversations are nice but they can't replace hugs.

I am doing well at my medical skill, Washington state licensing is not as long as it is in some states, but still an expensive pain.

The top location in my fair state of those 4 would be Port Townsend. What do you know about this small town that, at its inception, was going to be one of the biggest citites in America? Sure is an artsy town. The home folks look to really love the place and they're really proud of it.

The job application process is so mind-numbing, especially if I haven't rested up fully yet from my work week. Moving costs are so high. Does anyone know if there's any such thing as a grant from the government that at least partly funds moving costs? Perhaps this idea of coming home will fade in my mind, but in reality it's only getting worse. The two towns in eastern Washington with job openings would be no slouches, either. Interesting locations. Forks would be last on the list, we've lived there for a year back in the 80's...my wife is not liking that idea at all, though I do have web feet. I would be all right living there, it's too rainy for her, though.

What are your thoughts? I'd love to live in or near Port Townsend. Take the ferry to Whidbey Island and go to The Blue Fox Drive-In again. Ahh, the great memories from there. I mean I lived the first 4/5's of my life in Washington state. I know the western side is a huge rat race but I'm still really game for coming back, especially to the Olympic Peninsula. I think it's beautiful.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 AM

1,968 posts, read 2,217,303 times
Start a thread.. Would be happy to share my opinion on PT.

What is it you are asking. Maybe just take a vacation and revisit.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:07 AM

TrueTimbers - I'll post a new thread later today and copy/paste a bunch of my ideas above. My point of my post above is mainly an open discussion on relocating back to Washington state and so forth.

If anyone has opinions on living on the Olympic Peninsula I'd love to entertain your thoughts. I'm just getting the itch to move back home but getting hung up on the cost and investment required for such an uprooting. Body is willing but my mind says maybe you're not yet ready.

Last edited by elkotronics; 09-28-2014 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 04:23 AM

4,730 posts, read 1,592,796 times
Hey, I would love to hear about living in New Mexico, & I will share my experience living on Olympic Peninsula..let's trade!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 AM

You could go to my new thread "Relocating from New Mexico to western Washington" or start a new one where we could give our views on living in NM or WA.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:27 PM

64,663 posts, read 54,272,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Hey, I would love to hear about living in New Mexico, & I will share my experience living on Olympic Peninsula..let's trade!
It's hot, and the summer heat tends to last 5 months. It's a great place to live if you have a well-paying job, like you work for one of the national science labs, or in health care. A lot of people find they need two jobs to get by, depending on where they live. The state performs very poorly in K-12 education. Water is getting scarce. Still, there are nice pockets that are a little cooler (in the mountains) and support the arts. Some retirees love it, some are dismayed by the crime levels after they move to NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington