U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 01:54 AM

854 posts, read 818,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAndSettling View Post
The bottom line is that Washington folks act extremely closed-off and anti-social. It's just part of the local culture here. Not a lot of smiling faces. It's a cold and lonely place for many people. Believe me lots of people here are alienated from society.

To the newcomer from another area. This vibe is really hard to get used to. It feels like pure rudeness and coldness, heartlessness. But it is not that. It is just the way it is here. It's an unusual vibe that you don't find in most places so there is a learning curve to figuring it out.

The hardest thing to get used to is the culture of passive-aggressive entitlement where people are trying to belittle each other in subtle ways. But I am starting to learn how to ignore it. Just like how you ignore the materialism in SoCal or the macho vibes in Texas.
Yes the belittling is so annoying and then when you call it out they get all defensive. What I find people lack the most is a sense of humor unless they are trying to come up with petty ways to show you are different. It usually just makes them sound like a jerk. Rural native Washingtonians take the cake when it comes to social manners and civility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
BS... Only non-rednecks would think redneck is a derogatory term for poor Southern white farmers.. Haaa.. Trust me, I grew up in Oregon and everyone proudly proclaimed themselves as a "REDNECK". The term Redneck certainly has a much broader meaning that what the boneheads who created the wikipedia article could understand.. Perhaps, it would help those so-called geniuses to leave their university office in New Jersey once in a while and see what is happening in the rest of the country. I'm not knocking all wiki articles, but that one has got to be the most naive I ever read.

The modern term for redneck is not necessarily synonymous to whatever historical origins were used for the term.

Now, take a trip to Sedro-Woolley and tell them how they are not rednecks.. You are likely to start a brawl real quickly..
I think that might be the difference between people in the PNW and the southeast. People in the PNW are always proclaiming to be something and running their mouths off. People in the southeast just are.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I have been analyzing the situation further and thinking about this issue, this is the conclusion I have come to.

In small towns in Western WA. You will be treated decently if you really put out a big effort to fit in. That is, you dress the right way, act the right way, look the right way, carry yourself the right way, etc. Basically, if you conform, they will treat you alright.

However, if you don't conform to what's going on, and you are "different" in any way, They will treat you very badly.

That's where I went wrong here. I am not willing to conform to this conservative all-American cult of personality that is prevalent here. So, just because I am not a conformist, people look at me like I am from another planet and treat me rudely.

Sometimes I put on the act and play the role. Just to fit in. And people act more friendly.

It's too bad there is this conformity here. It would be nice if people would respect each others differences instead of hating on them.
This has been my experience as a whole. On both sides of the state you must conform to make even acquaintances. Very clicky folk. For such an individualistic culture there sure is a lot of conformity in how people act, think and dress.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 AM

1,968 posts, read 2,216,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I think that might be the difference between people in the PNW and the southeast. People in the PNW are always proclaiming to be something and running their mouths off. People in the southeast just are.
No.. PNW people are not proclaiming anything... Everyone is something! They are acting like they feel like, not how someone else thinks they should.... Yes? This offends you that life out here is one giant leash free dog park...

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 04-27-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 07:38 AM

1,968 posts, read 2,216,421 times
Quote:
This has been my experience as a whole. On both sides of the state you must conform to make even acquaintances. Very clicky folk. For such an individualistic culture there sure is a lot of conformity in how people act, think and dress.
How is it people act think and dress?

People dress for what ever is comfortable and functional yes? People act how they want to, no need to be nice if one does not feel like it, yet nothing inhibits one from taking a half hour to have a good conversation with a stranger if the vibe is right..

Heck, I go my small touristy town with my dirty farm cloths, and ripped wool jacket with about two buttons left on it, having not looked in the mirror for days. Mud on my hands, sawdust in my wallet and manure on my boots. No one looks at me funny, matter of fact one might end up in an hour long conversation about the origin of the universe or whatever, with some random engineer, sailor, musician, or whatever who cares what the do or did... It is not about that... It is about what is on their mind right now..

No one is trying to impress anyone... Just sharing thoughts on whatever thoughts are bubbling over in your mind at the time...Get it? No... I suppose not...

Free yourself from on how you think you are supposed to act, think and dress, put zero effort into it... Actually be yourself for once in your life... Then you will fit in fine..

Old 04-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,307 posts, read 11,083,514 times
SAD

(Seasonal Affective Disorder) - the winter blues. It colors everything gray.

Get a SAD lamp, and buck up - the sun will be coming soon.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
SAD

(Seasonal Affective Disorder) - the winter blues. It colors everything gray.

Get a SAD lamp, and buck up - the sun will be coming soon.
Don't feed me that SAD crap, I left a long time ago. The stereotypes about the region and its culture are 100% correct. Otherwise why would PNW trolls frequent this board to correct people telling it like it is. Inferiority complex much. It's like living in a different country up there. Feels superficial. I am not going to continue to point out how the original poster is correct. Just thought I would show that there are others who feel this way and the gang style bullying of the original poster is a good example of local behavior. As for the clothes thing that was more a knock on the wannabe outdoors people here, they are very materialistic and own entire wardrobes of expensive outdoor gear they wear to commute to their office jobs. Individualists my ass. As for being able to think and act for myself I got that covered which is why I don't buy into your psuedo ruggedized view of yourselves. I have been repeatedly shunned in the PNW by so called open minded people because I am from a different area and I don't like this fake culture. Seriously you people don't get it because you are either from there or you have assimilated into the "Northwest Freeze" materialistic monoculture. Indeed it is a very depressing area but it's not totally because of the grey weather. I really think people who bully other folks on here trying to show how great Washington is are just like many of the people I met in that backward place. It's like nobody can even mention a slightly negative thing about the area without a mob of pitchfork wielding locals crapping your pants and putting up your dukes. Free myself, rhetorical nonsense. This is the biggest braggart culture I have ever seen, everyone is trying to one up everybody else. It's everybody for yourself in the Northwest and I suspect it has always been like that. Very close minded culture indeed. People won't even hold the door open for you here or when you say "excuse me" politely in public they act like you just told them they look like a monkey. It's comical. I have never met such materialistic people who think they are saving the world. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. Seriously the northwest as a whole thinks it is somehow more intelligent than the rest of the country. Pretentious atmosphere filled with entitled people who treat their dog better than human beings. Look at how Rambo was treated when he moved to the Pacific Northwest. This is a perfect example of the local attitude. Patrick Denahey should have won a oscar for his portrayal of a northwest sheriff who didn't like outsiders invading his backwater of a town.

Last edited by bad apples; 04-27-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Some of you all are purposely over-complicating what I am saying, and I think you are doing it on purpose in order to create straw man arguments and red herring arguments against me. It feels like some of you all are just looking for any little contradiction in my words so that you can "win" a debate through semantics. I am a sharp guy, I know all these little debate tricks, I learned them during my junior year of high school

I have lived in many places, and in most places I lived, I can just do my thing and mind my own business and strangers treat me with respect. In most places I lived, there is an unspoken rule that people should respect each other.

Around here, people tend to be really nosey and get in your business. They don't really respect each other unless they decide you are worthy of respect. They are judging you from an extremely ignorant standpoint. And their approach when they do this is usually crude and obnoxious.

So basically, you will have crude and ignorant guys getting in your business and judging you against their own very limited world view. And it seems like they get a thrill out of messing with people like this. They think it is manly to mess with other guys.

Small minded wannabe tough guys just looking for a little ego boost, looking for a way that they can make themselves feel like a real man. The insecure machismo I see around here is such a joke.

It's not only rednecks who so this. It seems to be how many people are raised out here. Although the redneck type of folks do tend to do it the most and they do it in the most annoying manner. Most of them are really brainwashed and they just don't even realize it at all. I used to think rednecks were alright folks, but now I am starting to realize that lots of them are really are not good people.

As for fighting. I never start fights with people. I walk around being really cool every day and I act friendly. But I react to what people do. And in my opinion. If a person is yelling at you and making confrontational gestures, then that is a very valid reason to fight. If a person is staring at me, obviously talking about me, obviously trying to direct negative energy at me. Then I think a confrontation is appropriate. And if it escalates into a fight then that is fine.

If I walk into a place and there is a guy staring at me. Furling his brown in anger, making gestures that he doesn't like me. Then I will walk up to him and start up a confrontation. I don't think this is out of line at all. That's just how it is in my world.

I am going to start teaching some guys a lesson around here. It's going to be fun. I really HOPE some guy tries to mess with me today. If they want to play games I can show them some new games.
Don't let anyone tell you are the problem. I have experienced the type of behavior you describe from the majority of Washingtonians I encounter. Natives and transplants. Something in the water. You are not paranoid or anything else, it really is like this in the Pacific Northwest. I have lived a lot of different places and this is by far the least welcoming and most unfriendly place I have ever been. It is a shame because the area is extremely beautiful and there is a lot to do outdoors. I have found a few friends here both native and transplants and they are good people I will keep in touch with. The general attitude is pretty grim in general. Get out while you can and experience another part of the country, particularly the midwest and southeast. You will be amazed how different it really is.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:31 PM

1,583 posts, read 1,711,045 times
Quote:
Don't let anyone tell you are the problem. I have experienced the type of behavior you describe from the majority of Washingtonians I encounter. Natives and transplants. Something in the water. You are not paranoid or anything else, it really is like this in the Pacific Northwest. I have lived a lot of different places and this is by far the least welcoming and most unfriendly place I have ever been. It is a shame because the area is extremely beautiful and there is a lot to do outdoors. I have found a few friends here both native and transplants and they are good people I will keep in touch with. The general attitude is pretty grim in general. Get out while you can and experience another part of the country, particularly the midwest and southeast. You will be amazed how different it really is.
Yep. Despite the fact that there are 22 people who have posted on here who disagree with you guys. And 4 of you who agree. That's more than 5:1. And ironically, the some of the posters who are complaining about everyone else being combative and unfriendly, are also the ones who keep talking about starting fights with people who look at them crooked.

But of course, everyone else is the problem, right?...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Yep. Despite the fact that there are 22 people who have posted on here who disagree with you guys. And 4 of you who agree. That's more than 5:1. And ironically, the some of the posters who are complaining about everyone else being combative and unfriendly, are also the ones who keep talking about starting fights with people who look at them crooked.

But of course, everyone else is the problem, right?...
Whatever you say. You are behaving in a typical way that I became accustomed to while living in the Northwest. Trying to belittle people with a outsiders viewpoint by making them sound crazy, paranoid or just different. The 5:1 is most likely Washingtonians with nothing better to do than troll city data looking for people pointing out differences between Cascadia and the rest of America. Just jumping at the chance to start something, to make yourselves feel better. I didn't say everyone was like this but the general attitude of people in rural Washington can be quite strange from an outsiders perspective. Trust me there plenty of people who feel this way and just leave without saying anything. Just look up "Cascadia Calm" or "Seattle Freeze". I think Seattle got a bad rap, maybe it's just the region as a whole.

Last edited by bad apples; 04-27-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington