U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 PM

18 posts, read 24,632 times

Advertisements

Anyone have comments on how difficult (if at all) or different it is to live in the northwest (Seattle) area with a conservative/God first/pro-military mindset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,137 posts, read 33,609,250 times
Only place for you on We_t Side is Exit 72. Chehalis. (Uncle Sam Billboard). It's the only sense of reason on the left coast. (and hope for this brief, very temporary abode)

Plenty of places on the east side.

Lynden will also work.

Seattle area... just plug into a good urban church like Bethany Community Church Welcome
You can survive in WA as a Christian, not as ez in Oregon ('Group think' central)

Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 PM

67 posts, read 153,332 times
Stay out of King County (aside from a few far flung pockets like maybe Maple Valley), Portland, Downtown Olympia/Bellingham, and small pockets of Tacoma and nobody will take issue with your views. Unless you are very vocal about them, that is. People here are live and let live, but generally keep things to themselves.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 PM

18 posts, read 24,632 times
I'm not at all trying to offend anyone. Just looking to relocate to Bremerton area and am very confident and comfortable in my beliefs. Looking for honest feedback on the area.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,333,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILE6 View Post
Anyone have comments on how difficult (if at all) or different it is to live in the northwest (Seattle) area with a conservative/God first/pro-military mindset?
I believe Washington is the least religious state in the union. So the God first is probably an issue IF it is on your sleeve.

Pro-military is fine. Everybody like our military.....lots of folks not to keen about the last four administrations in particular.....but dislike for the President is not the same as dislike for the military.

Living in western Washington being conservative is very difficult. Good luck with that!!

So in order conservative, GOD, military.....that's the order western Washington will judge you on!!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 AM

2,303 posts, read 1,989,690 times
Most areas of Washington are actually pretty conservative. Even parts of Western Washington lean red. Look at this electoral map from the 2012 elections. This is based on the votes for the governor:

Sadly King County pretty much determines each election. If we took out King County, WA would be considered a moderate state.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:19 AM

244 posts, read 221,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I believe Washington is the least religious state in the union.
Pew Research seems fairly respectable to me. They rank New Hampshire / Vermont as being tied as the least religious states: How Religious Is Your State? | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Being "religious" seems like a more vague term in Washington than in other states in the sense people seem more open minded. I think that Thomas Jefferson would have been comfortable in our state: Jefferson's Religious Beliefs « Thomas Jefferson

I'm missing the connection between religion and the military. I know two ex special forces ops and one active service officer and religion doesn't come up much in our discussions.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,712,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Most areas of Washington are actually pretty conservative. Even parts of Western Washington lean red. Look at this electoral map from the 2012 elections. This is based on the votes for the governor:

Sadly King County pretty much determines each election. If we took out King County, WA would be considered a moderate state.
Agreed. There are plenty of areas of our state, even in Western WA, that have others that are in-line with your values. Just stay away from the Seattle metro and you will be fine.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM

13,947 posts, read 8,041,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
The bulk of the Washington State population and economy resides in King County. Here is a map of the 2012 presidential election by proportion:

Election maps

Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM

231 posts, read 282,105 times
As a forum participant who actually lives in the area, please let me share my opinion. Bremerton is a different story than the Seattle/King County region. This area has a high concentration of Navy personnel, so it is already pro-military. Bremerton is more conservative than say, Bainbridge Island, so even lumping all of Kitsap County into one political bent is a disservice.

But mostly, people tend to "live and let live" here. As long as you are not getting in people's faces about your beliefs, people will not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington