Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 AM

36 posts, read 92,477 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here went (or know someone who went) to WWU? I am currently going to school in Southeast Tech in Sioux Falls, SD for an AAS in Computer Programming (graduating in spring), and will probably end up going to WWU next fall. I was just wondering on how well the CS department is, how the social life is, and anything else in general. I'm thinking about being a game developer after school, but not quite sure yet, but most likely will want to use c++. Also, are there many vegans there? Here in Sioux Falls, vegans are unheard of, and I'ld like to actually be able to meet other vegans for once.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
oh, plenty of vegans in Bellingham, and nice farmer's market and local goods to help you subsist.

One of my kids went to WWU, and several friends, It is most known for Education program, but has some excellent science and environmental too. I know nothing about the CS dept, tho I do remember a bit of C++ from ~ 20 yrs ago... I'm probably pretty rusty.

Get in touch with WWU and get a 'transfer contract' BEFORE you finish at Community College. It will save you A LOT of $$ and extra classes to get that, and you can go in as a full Jr. Otherwise you will have to take a bunch of required classes. An Alternative would be to move out to Bellingham and finish your transfer contract at Whatcom Community College, that will save you $$ and time as well. My son thought he'd just go to WWU without the contract, but... he ended up with the option of taking 12 more credits at Jr Col, or 12 CLASSES at WWU (at least 3 qtrs... at ~ 3x the cost + higher rent / food...) he did the 'right' thing, and spent a quick qtr at Jr College and then the next qtr was at WWU as a full jr.

You will have a great time at "western" it is a great school and place to live. Having Whistler and Mt Baker nearby doesn't hurt this time of yr. UNLESS you are too busy with classes to ski / board. The Intramural indoor soccer is great to, they have a wonderful activity center on WWU campus. (climbing wall, pool, HUGE weight room) Summers are REALLY great. (camping, backpacking, biking in North Cascades, San Juan or Gulf Islands (CDN) or southern BC)
Lots of options on housing. Mine rented ~ 10 min north of campus and drove to a bus stop that had a direct bus to WWU. His rent was $350 (each) in a 4bdrm 4 plex. He had good roommates that still do a lot together from various locations in W WA.

If you have an extra week, take the ferry to Alaska, you might like it there and stay! But... I'd be running out to WA over Christmas Break to establish residency !! Then you can get 'in-state' tuition by spring term 2009. You might have to go back to SD this spring to 'visit' and finish AAS. BUT... you can get to WA ASAP and enjoy some income tax free earnings. Maybe establish your 'gaming' consulting business, or IT help. I could sure use some of that right now...(nothing's talk'n... I hate MS, and anything to do with icons and smart dogs, wizards...... I was weened on PASCAL and UX, just the data please, forget the fluff and a zillion bytes for bogus overhead (that you can't KILL from another machine, when it is stuck dividing by zero for 2 hrs...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-10-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM

27 posts, read 182,398 times
Western is a great choice. As far as vegans....that's vegan heaven. Safe community as well. You'll like it there, especially coming from Souix Falls!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 14,604 times
Can anyone tell me:
1) do a fair number of students care about academics and intellectual interests or are most students there to get drunk and stupid?
2) is there cultural diversity in terms of student interests/types etc. In other words, is the school dominated by jocks, or some other type, or not so much?
3) do most students stick around on weekends?
4) do most students stay to graduate, or is there a lot of transferring/dropping out etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: