Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
The only true natives are the Native Americans. Sorry.
Since Time Immemorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:21 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
The only true natives are the Native Americans. Sorry.
Well technically they came across the Bering straights. Homosapien's are not "native" to this hemisphere to our knowledge.

Besides, instead of native, I believe the term "indigenous people" is more correct in the USA, and "first nation people" in Canada.

Point taken though, we can still acknowledge and respect or disrespect those that have roots in the European's that pioneered the region.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Well technically they came across the Bering straights. Homosapien's are not "native" to this hemisphere to our knowledge.

Besides, instead of native, I believe the term "indigenous people" is more correct in the USA, and "first nation people" in Canada.

Point taken though, we can still acknowledge and respect or disrespect those that have roots in the European's that pioneered the region.
There are a lot of new archeological sites in North America that are changing that opinion in some circles. The Topper Site is one I can think of. Some of the fossils being discovered there could date back further than originally thought. The fossils that have been found are thought to be as old as 50,000 years and not from the groups of people who crossed the Bering land bridge. It may suggest they came from Northern Europe or elsewhere. DNA evidence recently found in Peru, Montana, Siberia and other places is linking modern day Native Americans genome to Middle eastern, Northern European, and elsewhere. It was previously commonly accepted that Native Americans descended directly from Asia and possibly Siberia(Clovis Culture). This could suggest that man was in North America before the last Ice Age.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...eria-genetics/

University of South Carolina - News

Old 05-07-2014, 08:52 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,171 times
Interesting read..
Indeed much to be discovered yet.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat38 View Post
....... What's Oregon got that Washington doesn't?
Do you really want to know, or was that a rhetorical questions?

The magic definitely ends as soon as one crosses the river. It's instantaneous. The feeling is gone from the air, like I've driven out of a bubble.

Washington always seems crowded to me. It looks like Washington has not replanted forests as soon as they were cut. Driving up I-5 in Washington is not any different than driving up I-5 in California. The traffic ranges from heavy to bumper to bumper and the views are of cities or farmland. There is no feeling that the earth has been well cared for.

It's in the process of being lost in Oregon, too. Far too many incomers that are slow to learn or simply insist that now that they are here, things must be changed to what they were used to back home.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:31 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The magic definitely ends as soon as one crosses the river. It's instantaneous. The feeling is gone from the air, like I've driven out of a bubble.
Agreed, but in the opposite direction. I am annoyed that Oregon has regressive speed limits on its highways and thinks its citizens are too stupid to pump their own gas. Many Oregon drivers are annoying as they think the fast lane is for cruising at the speed limit.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM

462 posts, read 741,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Many Oregon drivers are annoying as they think the fast lane is for cruising at the speed limit.
No different in WA either.....

Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
No different in WA either.....
....and its mainly around Seattle. South of Olympia most of the drivers pull over a lane after passing the slower traffic. Maybe its the 70 MPH limit down there that scares the urban 60 MHP cruise controllers out of the fast lane.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Do you really want to know, or was that a rhetorical questions?

Washington always seems crowded to me. It looks like Washington has not replanted forests as soon as they were cut. Driving up I-5 in Washington is not any different than driving up I-5 in California. The traffic ranges from heavy to bumper to bumper and the views are of cities or farmland. There is no feeling that the earth has been well cared for.

It's in the process of being lost in Oregon, too. Far too many incomers that are slow to learn or simply insist that now that they are here, things must be changed to what they were used to back home.
That's a lot of generalizing about a really small percentage of the total area of both Washington and Oregon.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:26 AM

213 posts, read 522,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Group think...

You are either just like them, or your views are not welcome or accepted.

30+ yrs on the border has proven that, though I realized it the first day at work. (with a mixed group)
As a native Oregonian, I strongly disagree. For me, it's not only pride of my home state, but a pride of how beautiful this state is. Each state has their own uniqueness, but I constantly hear from others who are not from Oregon, how beautiful the state is and how genuine the people are. With those things, how can one not be happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington