U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM

854 posts, read 821,533 times

Advertisements

Mexican workers in Washington fields: Under Two Flags: Seattle Times

An interesting article published 14 years ago but not much has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotworks7 View Post
BRAVO!

I live in Eastern, Washington.
Most of us would start the 51st state if we could.
Coasties...even our friends from the Seattle area are nearly unbearable.
Eastern Washington is 1950's normal.
I agree that Eastern Washington is 1950's normal.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 PM

1,991 posts, read 1,894,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
What's your point. Most of this stuff is concealed very well. It's less than a decade old and pertains to this thread.
Title of thread is EAST of the Cascades. That blog post is about some whack job over in Kitsap county. It pertains to this thread? If you say so.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Mexican workers in Washington fields: Under Two Flags: Seattle Times

An interesting article published 14 years ago but not much has changed.
Nothing within the last few years or so? How's the crime rate in Yakima? Who commits most of the crime?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Title of thread is EAST of the Cascades. That blog post is about some whack job over in Kitsap county. It pertains to this thread? If you say so.
Well not entirely. This thread was started by another member who didn't like me telling people I saw confederate battle flags in Washington. I stated this in a different thread in which we were discussing ethnic issues and differences between Atlanta, Seattle and Denver. The OP of this thread was concerned that people would think that Washington has racist people just like every other state in the country. They tried to discredit my observations by calling for backup. When in fact all I ever said was that you do see confederate battle flags in Eastern Washington. I agree that it may have been slightly out of place and for this I apologize. However I think you will find the other information I have posted is directly associated with Eastern Washington.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
http://go.nationalpartnership.org/si...df?docID=11701

Washington state has the second largest wage gap for full time working Hispanics. Hmmm and you wonder why there are problems.
What are the problems? Too many illegal aliens in Washington working for non citizen wages? Too much illegal immigrant crime? Hispanic gang problems? That is what you are mentioning?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Nothing within the last few years or so? How's the crime rate in Yakima? Who commits most of the crime?
Just read the information if your interested in discussing it. Some of the articles in the Yakima Herald were posted as recently as February of this year. The crime rate is very high in Yakima. Why? I think some people like to think it's because half the population is Hispanic. However, I think it is more due to the fact that most Hispanics earn about 50 cents on the dollar for their labor compared to the standard living wage in Washington which most other folks are currently trying to make 15$ an hour. There is certainly a problem, but is it a problem with a group of people who made Yakima what it is today? Or is it a result of economic segregation? The article from 2000 was interesting because almost nothing has changed in 14 years. I don't think there is any denying Yakima has a problem but it's not a gang problem. To me it seems this problem was created by the agricultural industry. Good enough to work for half wages and live here temporarily but not good enough to live here permanently?

In the United States it seems like every time a minority is exploited for labor they end up forming communities which are generally low income. These areas have a lot of problems with crime not due to the type of people living there but due to the economical exploitation the people endure. Then the original inhabitants start screaming gang problem when they start demanding equal pay and rights. If people aren't being treated as equal human beings then why would they respect or obey the laws. Honestly their lucky it's not a lot worse. To me it seems that the local government only wants enough Hispanics there to do the jobs they want them to do and leave. With half the population of Yakima being Hispanic shouldn't these minorities be encouraged to participate in local government? It just seems a bit strange to me, just my point of view.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-20-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 01:04 AM

http://www.yakimawa.gov/media/news/o...significantly/

Here is the most up to date information on the crime rate In Yakima I could find. This article states that crime has dropped by 60% since the eighties in Yakima. How do they all of a sudden have a gang problem if the crime rate has dropped this much? Seems a little suspect to me? Especially when you have some one like Nick Hughes as a chair member on the Yakima Gang Free Initiative. This person is well known for publicly making racist comments. I have been to Yakima and never felt threatened in the least bit.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
http://www.yakimawa.gov/media/news/o...significantly/

I have been to Yakima and never felt threatened in the least bit.
We agree on this much, I lived in Yakima for a year. I actually liked it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington