Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Brick also has a tendency to fall on your head! so... it is not even recommended as a non-structural facade. However, you will see stucco. Wood is the safest, assuming you follow modern earthquake codes.

Also, you only need to study where the damage occurred during past earthquakes, large and small, to understand why brick is not a good idea. Look up the damage done in Santa Cruz and San Francisco during the Loma Prieta earthquake. Remember too that neither of these places was the epicenter.
Thanks Freepelican! Falling bricks and human heads definitely not a good match. Can't do wood...too high maintenance. Wondering if anyone has used faux brick/stone panels. We got samples a few years ago cause we were considering using that for the large wall behind the wood stove in our cabin. They are extremely realistic as well as nearly indestructible. I took a sledge hammer to our samples and could not make any kind of dent whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 05:13 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
OK. Heat pump...cool. If that concrete siding doesn't have to be painted then I am all for it.
Concrete fiber siding such as HardiePlank does require painting similar to standard wood siding, just not as often. We primarily use it here for durability in this wet climate. Yes I know, I said wet climate...

I believe what TrueTimbers is referring to is a mini split system vs. a traditional heat pump (please correct me if I'm wrong TT). Mini splits are particularly popular with those folks building high energy efficiency homes (using such things as SIP's or structural insulated panels, ICF's or insulated concrete forms etc). These building techniques lend themselves to super-insulation and high energy efficiency with very low net energy requirements and loss. Typically such homes are built on (insulated) concrete slabs with some type of radiant heat within the slab. These methods, including mini splits, are now making their way in to standard built homes.

Sorry to get off topic but "net zero", "passive solar" and other types of high efficiency homes are an interest of mine...

Old 05-14-2014, 06:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
Concrete fiber siding such as HardiePlank does require painting similar to standard wood siding, just not as often. We primarily use it here for durability in this wet climate. Yes I know, I said wet climate...

I believe what TrueTimbers is referring to is a mini split system vs. a traditional heat pump (please correct me if I'm wrong TT). Mini splits are particularly popular with those folks building high energy efficiency homes (using such things as SIP's or structural insulated panels, ICF's or insulated concrete forms etc). These building techniques lend themselves to super-insulation and high energy efficiency with very low net energy requirements and loss. Typically such homes are built on (insulated) concrete slabs with some type of radiant heat within the slab. These methods, including mini splits, are now making their way in to standard built homes.

Sorry to get off topic but "net zero", "passive solar" and other types of high efficiency homes are an interest of mine...
Bingo..
Mini splits, are cheap efficient, simple to install space heaters. Either use on top of another heating system such as radiant heat, or to heat a given space while occupied.

I too have an interest in net zero and passive solar designs... Leaps and bounds being made recently.. These days one does not need to spend any more per SQ with the help of a good designer.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Bingo..
Mini splits, are cheap efficient, simple to install space heaters. Either use on top of another heating system such as radiant heat, or to heat a given space while occupied.

I too have an interest in net zero and passive solar designs... Leaps and bounds being made recently.. These days one does not need to spend any more per SQ with the help of a good designer.
I will investigate these options with our future builder...one we are considering is a LEED Professional. Our floor plan already incorporates a long wall of large south facing windows.

I've been investigating the use of faux stone panels for siding. Since you both are net zero fans, do you have any knowledge of their green qualities? Can't seem to find much beyond the manufacturer claims and a few articles written by green promoters. I would expect to be able to find more information easily if they were truly a wise siding choice for those wanting to go greener.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
no I don't

The fiber cement siding is considered "green" because it is low maintenance and lasts a long time.. I would think the faux stone is similar...

You could compare warranties to get a feel for lifespan of the product.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
OK. Heat pump...cool. If that concrete siding doesn't have to be painted then I am all for it. No need to do the all brick thing if not necessary. I've always wanted a dark taupe sided house with white trim anyway...just love that look. :-)

Irrigation for the landscape beds only or also for the lawn? We will have lawn cause we have herding dogs and they need a job and if I don't have sheep or agility equipment that means lots of long distance fetching on a daily basis. Walks just don't cut it for these guys. We are looking at a 1+ acre lot with an easement to an irrigation ditch. I am guessing that's a plus? Depending on whether the ditch has water in the summer?
I and most of my neighbors use in ground irrigation for both landscape and lawns. The lawn has a pop up system and the landscape has drip.
There plenty of property outside the city, some on city water, that would suit your needs for your dogs. Sequim has a dog park on the western side of town at Carrie Blake Park. Not sure about an water easement to the irrigation ditches, but a quick check online to a local real estate agency should do the trick.

Funny think about the irrigation water...it runs all summer and for the most part drys up in the winter...go figure.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I get it now. I've done some research and did discover the mold issue. I expect a quality builder would get that right.
You're right...I know of only one instance of mold under a house...and it was the builder fault. He let the unfinished house stand during the rainy season and water got into the crawl space..they had a hard time passing inspection selling it. It had to be revealed to any buyers and a lot of people passed the house up even after the contractor corrected the problem.

If a crawl space is ventilated accord to code there shouldn't be any problem. In the two houses (both new) I have own in Sequim I have had no problem with mold anywhere.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
no I don't

The fiber cement siding is considered "green" because it is low maintenance and lasts a long time.. I would think the faux stone is similar...

You could compare warranties to get a feel for lifespan of the product.
The faux stone panels I have been looking at have a 25 year finish/50 year materials warranty. They are waterproof, low/no maintenance, long lasting and apparently do not adversely affect the environment in the ways that natural stone (non-renewable resource; harvesting destroys ecosystems) or brick (clay is a non-renewable resource with similar harvesting issues) or cement board siding (energy intensive to produce) or vinyl siding (production releases CO2 and the siding releases toxins). Natural wood seems to be the best but that is way too high maintenance for us and harvesting can be an ecosystem issue.

Faux stone siding appears to be comparatively green. It's made of hand painted, highly compressed polyurethane and is promoted as inert and non-toxic. I am mildly suspicious of polyurethane although polyurethane is touted as an alternative to that nasty PVC and it can be recycled. The faux stone siding from at least one company complies with Proposition 65 as implemented by the state of California, which was designed to eliminate exposure to toxic substances in consumer products.

What I have discovered is there is no one greenest siding option since there are environmental downsides to each. So it seems to be a matter of choosing the lesser of the unfortunates. I am leaning more and more towards the faux stone/brick panels.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I and most of my neighbors use in ground irrigation for both landscape and lawns. The lawn has a pop up system and the landscape has drip.
There plenty of property outside the city, some on city water, that would suit your needs for your dogs. Sequim has a dog park on the western side of town at Carrie Blake Park. Not sure about an water easement to the irrigation ditches, but a quick check online to a local real estate agency should do the trick.

Funny think about the irrigation water...it runs all summer and for the most part drys up in the winter...go figure.
The irrigation water runs all summer and dries up in winter?! LOL!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
The irrigation water runs all summer and dries up in winter?! LOL!
Not totally, but it does when the weather freezes in the higher elevations at the head waters of the Dungeness river where irrigation water comes from. In the summer the snow melt keeps it running the rest of the time. Strange but its true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington