Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,660,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolph09 View Post
It's also a difficult place to get a feel for. Are the people liberal or conservative? Are they intellectuals or roughnecks? This too is surprising because one would think that, lacking the diversity of other places, Washington would have a particular culture. But if there is, I certainly didn't find it.
There's a mixture of all types. From the super-hippy to the proud-to-be-redneck, and they mix with each other a lot more than other parts of the country. There is diversity, as long as you don't think of diversity as meaning black people.

Quote:
I get the suspicion that, underneath the superficial flag waving, people in Washington secretly despise the rest of the country. I wouldn't be surprised if some day the PNW forms its own country.
Some dislike what the government/country is doing or isn't doing, and many aren't shy about letting you know about it.
Half complain because the rest of the country is too right wing, the other half because the government is too left wing. There is significantly less talk about secession than there is in Texas, pretty much none in the last few years. PNW would probably prefer to join Canada rather than become its own country.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 PM

854 posts, read 1,138,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
We live in an age where many in this country have decided they are victims; of one thing or another but it is always someone else's fault. This attitude is stoked by various movements, reporting, and legislation so it will vary around the country... right or wrong.

The PNW has it's own viewpoint that is very different from that in Texas (I have lived in both places) so it may be more apparent to you.
To bad the Canadians don't want them either.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,659,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
PNW would probably prefer to join Canada rather than become its own country.
It would never ever happen but I sometimes think we have more in common with Canadians than some parts of the country.

That said, I think our geographical location tends to lull us into a certain type of happiness that other parts of the country don't share. Maybe if they could look out their window and see green and water everywhere or jump on a ferry to visit an island for lunch they'd be in a better mood.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:06 PM

854 posts, read 1,138,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It would never ever happen but I sometimes think we have more in common with Canadians than some parts of the country.

That said, I think our geographical location tends to lull us into a certain type of happiness that other parts of the country don't share. Maybe if they could look out their window and see green and water everywhere or jump on a ferry to visit an island for lunch they'd be in a better mood.
Oh please. There is green and water everywhere in the country. People there are not in good moods in general. Maybe you are but the general population is depressing. In fact I have moved to a new area and I have a pond right next to my house, that I can actually fish and swim in. The nicest thing about where I live now is that people aren't judgmental and are actually helpful to strangers. Everyone seems really happy and more down do earth. I am truly blessed for being able to make this move to greener pastures.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:06 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,190,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Oh please. There is green and water everywhere in the country. People there are not in good moods in general. Maybe you are but the general population is depressing. In fact I have moved to a new area and I have a pond right next to my house, that I can actually fish and swim in. The nicest thing about where I live now is that people aren't judgmental and are actually helpful to strangers. Everyone seems really happy and more down do earth. I am truly blessed for being able to make this move to greener pastures.
That certainly sounds like the antithesis of Seattle. This area's smugness got to me faster than the poor weather, cost of living for what you get, and traffic/drivers. I am lucky (more like worked my a$$ off and used my negative experience as motivation) I am able to move like you did, I swear sometimes I think people up here enjoy being "mad" at the world, rather than simply changing their situation.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM

5,575 posts, read 4,951,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
There's a mixture of all types. From the super-hippy to the proud-to-be-redneck, and they mix with each other a lot more than other parts of the country. There is diversity, as long as you don't think of diversity as meaning black people.

Some dislike what the government/country is doing or isn't doing, and many aren't shy about letting you know about it.
Half complain because the rest of the country is too right wing, the other half because the government is too left wing. There is significantly less talk about secession than there is in Texas, pretty much none in the last few years. PNW would probably prefer to join Canada rather than become its own country.
Right wing left wing conservative liberal what does politics h ave to do with this?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 AM

615 posts, read 1,073,127 times
It's very expensive, so that is mainly why some people are unhappy as you can't enjoy life here unless you make a decent income. That and the traffic.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:12 PM

555 posts, read 801,056 times
Bad Apples:
I've brought this same point up with people who complain about the weather here, and that the weather contributes to the bad attitudes. I know people who've moved to Alaska---where the climate is way worse and they say that Alaskans are friendly, there's a small, but vibrant social scene in Juneau and there's nothing like the sheer meanness and hyper-uptightness that you encounter here.

Yet the Seattle apologists will always come back with: 'The problem is with YOU' and "It's like that EVERYWHERE!"

No, it certainly isn't.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,346,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
"Are the people liberal or conservative?"
Neither. Soviet-Chinese style Communist sums them up best.
I don't know where you get that idea.
From the Fremont neighborhood:

http://arfarfarf.com/fremont/photos/leninstatue.jpg

Old 06-19-2014, 12:05 AM

5,575 posts, read 4,951,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Bad Apples:
I've brought this same point up with people who complain about the weather here, and that the weather contributes to the bad attitudes. I know people who've moved to Alaska---where the climate is way worse and they say that Alaskans are friendly, there's a small, but vibrant social scene in Juneau and there's nothing like the sheer meanness and hyper-uptightness that you encounter here.

Yet the Seattle apologists will always come back with: 'The problem is with YOU' and "It's like that EVERYWHERE!"

No, it certainly isn't.
Are there high rates of depression? Seasonal Disorder related to the weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington