U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 30,783 times

Advertisements

I think I have found a home to rent in the Clearwood Community in Yelm, somewhere near Bluewater Court. The community sounds wonderful, with the lakes, trails, etc.

I understand there was a water issue awhile back - is that something to worry about now?

We have AT&T mobile service on our phones - is there coverage in that area?

Does DirecTV provide TV service in that area?

The house is equipped with a isolator generator connection - I don't even know what that means. LOL Does the power go out there often?

I remember reading something about the roads being washed away or icy or something, but can't find the posts anymore. Is that still an issue?

Thank you in advance - This site is amazing.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:44 AM

Was it something I said?

Old 07-16-2014, 05:18 PM

56 posts, read 29,691 times
I don't know, but I'm interested in that area as well so I'm glad you asked the questions.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 PM

129 posts, read 176,065 times
We were interested too and glad we didn't make that choice. Yelm is going to be really far out there. I'm glad I took the advice of another poster on this forum and didn't go for Clearwood. There are a ton of rentals down there, but if you are looking to be close without being too far, I wouldn't do it. DTV provides service wherever there is line of sight, so I would call and see if there is service in that area. I think the sheer volume of rentals and affordable rentals makes Clearwood attractive, but we'd probably be miserable there as it's just not close enough to what we are looking for. Might work for you, all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,347,688 times
- Clearwood is 15-20+ minutes south of Yelm. There is a mini mart at the main gate. Nearest gas is at West Lake Lawrence (Vail Rd & 153rd) 10+ minutes away.

- I believe the water issue has been resolved.

- Clearwood is a forested community, so getting a clear southern exposure can be difficult for some properties. There are dishes galore in Clearwood, so it works for some I suppose.

- I have Verizon and service is spotty. Drove by a sign recently mentioning a meeting about a Clearwood area cell tower. Didn't see what company it was for nor whether the meeting was in support or opposition. Based on my spotty service, I bet it is in favor of a tower. Verizon and AT&T have the best rural coverage in the area.

- Roads can get icy, but so can any other roads in and around Yelm at certain times during winter. No major washouts on any of the major roads.

- Clearwood is at the absolute end of civilization in Thurston County. Only accessible by Bald Hill Rd & back gate is where the speed limit on the road drops from 50 to 35 to make the logging truck crossings more safe.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 AM

Thank you to both of you for responding. It is only for one year that we will live there, so as they say - anything is tolerable if you know it's only temporary.

So Andy - do you live in Clearwood?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,347,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmello View Post

So Andy - do you live in Clearwood?
I do not live in Clearwood, but I am there often. It is a great neighborhood if you like the outdoors and can tolerate the drives to get to shopping, etc. Clear Lake is a nice lake and the neighborhood has fantastically maintained parks and a walking trail system.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Thanks again Andy.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM

291 posts, read 334,491 times
It depends on why you made the choice to move to Yelm / South Pierce County.

The culture of Yelm is unique. Very unique. It's like Northern Idaho and Portland's Hawthorne District had a baby. I don't know how this plays out in a planned community like the one you're moving to, though.

My AT&T service has served me well throughout Pierce, Thurston, and King Counties. I get better service in rural areas than my friends who have Verizon. That said, I haven't been to Clearwood.

Quote:
The house is equipped with a isolator generator connection - I don't even know what that means. LOL Does the power go out there often?
The power goes out maybe once a year for less than a day and once every few years for a couple of days. But many people in that area have generators just in case, for many reasons. Storing home-caught food is a big one. My sister has a generator because they get their own trout and deer or elk every year, and that's in a freezer. It would be a huge loss for them to have that gone because of a regular power outage. Other people have electric heating and small children. Still others like the idea of being off-the-grid and independent but for various reasons don't want to live in the middle of nowhere so they use a generator instead of having a utilities account.

Quote:
I understand there was a water issue awhile back - is that something to worry about now?
I don't know what issue you are referring to. There is no reason that water problems would be long-term as there is ample clean groundwater and surface water for that population. If it's a contamination issue they will have cleared it up and if it's a question of management it's not like your water will be turned off for that.

It's a great area to be if you love the outdoors, forests, fishing or just observing wildlife, etc.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:47 PM

The reason is somewhat complicated. We were having a hard time finding someone to rent to us with our two dogs and two birds. My house here sold and my close of escrow clock was ticking. This was the only place that would let us rent without a zillion dollars is non refundable deposits, restrictions, etc.

There is a conversation on facebook about the driving on Bald Hills Road. Seems it is very scary. NOT cool since I have a daughter who will be driving it as well as myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington