Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,571 times

Advertisements

People in Washington state are less keeping up with joneses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 AM

854 posts, read 1,136,946 times
I think in certain areas it's quite the opposite. Many people in Washington(Liberal areas) while appearing to be environmentally and socially concerned on the exterior are morally corrupt. Pseudo liberalism accompanied by a sense of entitlement makes them believe they are exempt from being materialistic. Conservatives are not exempt from this either. Tens of Thousands of dollars worth of clothing is still materialistic even of it was purchased at REI or Patagonia. There are a lot of extremely wealthy people in Washington who own many homes, cars, boats, kayaks, eight different types of skis etc. So no I don't think the state in General has less of an attitude about keeping up with the Jones. It's more like keeping up with whatever social click you belong to in Washington, which is the same for most of America. I will say that there are some genuine hippies living in Washington state with little concern about impressing others and live off the land. Those are few and far between and in most cases they compete amongst each other in the same manner. It is a very socially competitive state with very little options.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:38 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,433,239 times
I was born in Seattle and raised in materialistic Edmonds, WA, and I can tell you that Washingtonians are as materialistic as they come. No matter what they tell you. It's a big rat-race in Seattle but man can their NFL team play ball! Can't wait for my Seahawk season to begin!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,891,595 times
This state has some of the highest levels of personal debt in the nation. Let that roll around your brain awhile.

A third of Americans delinquent on debt

Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,757,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verakaj View Post
People in Washington state are less keeping up with joneses?
There are loads of Priuses on the roads....

Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,799,676 times
As a general rule places with high costs of living are more materialistic and status oriented. Like many big coastal cities Seattle is probably more materialistic than the national average.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:05 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,003,970 times
I think Oregonians may be less materialistic and status-oriented. At least Portland has that reputation in contrast with Seattle.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I think Oregonians may be less materialistic and status-oriented. At least Portland has that reputation in contrast with Seattle.
Old money, "don't block our mansion's view of Mt. Hood" Portland is less materialistic than new money, Boeing machinist, Fisherman's Terminal Seattle? LOL!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 PM

555 posts, read 800,251 times
Bad Apples nailed it totally. Most the 'social conscience' and faux-progressivism are preached here but never practiced or even believed in very much. It's more like the politically-correct Groupthink dynamic at work. Notice how often the locals will overwhelmingly support some PC/faux-liberalist cause or program, even though it's sure to backfire.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYooper View Post
If you want to find a place where people are less materialistic, try Eugene, Oregon.
LOL!

They have Ferrari leather seats in their athletic meeting rooms! The Univ. of Oregon in Eugene is the poster child of materialistic excess in college sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: