Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 12,324,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanamerp View Post
Hi

I am from India and I am about to move to Shelton for work. I dont have my family yet here with me but planning to get them soon. So I would like to know about safe places to live in shelton and the best school for my kids (one in 2nd grade and other in kinder garden). My work place is going to be Firlane health & rehab in North 13th street. I appreciate any information in this regard.

Thanks

Prem
Firlane rehab is on the north side of town which is a better area to live and I would recommend looking for housing just north or northeast of town as there are some nice neighborhoods just north of the city limits. The area around Island Lake is nice. The area to avoid living is the southern part of town called the Hillcrest area. It is not a good part of town to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,758 times
CHRIS:
As for the redneck factor, it does exist - for all I know, I may be one. I don't feel like I'm a redneck but for all realistic appearences, I might fit that shoe. I drive a 4x4 PU, have a red neck during the summer months, listen to country music, prefer domestic beer, jeans only/wild hair/hathead/plaid shirt wearin, conservative outlookin, gun possessin, DIY kind of guy. I've even smashed a beer bottle a few times and yelled out YEEEHAW or HELL YEAH at outdoor events.

me:
i am a 25yr old shelton girl. i agree with every bit of this statement. i also get a red neck and a red left forearm from hanging it out my drivers side wondow. i drive a 4x4. i listen to country and drink domestic beer from time to time. i wear jean and boots. i dont smash beer bottles as they are usually recycled or target practice. i own multiple firearms and carry my concealed firearms permit. i own and ride quads and hunt and fish (which i am pretty good at thank you) and no i dont pawn off the task of field dressing my game. ive even trapped a few times. i can fix all sorts of things and if i cant theres someone 5 feet away thatll help me use up my ducttape in an interesting sort of way outdoor event are our specialty in this town. most have a bonfire and red coolers.

KID BLUE:
dont let my previous statements throw you off. this is a good town with blue collar people. most are honest and helpful. not only am i all of the above but i am a mother and a full time worker. i am proud to raise my child in this town. this is a place where you see familiar faces and people remember your name and wave when you pass in traffic. this town is what you make it. we dont have any fancy shopping malls (but theres one 15 min away) and we dont have arcades or bowling alleys or big freeways (again, 15 min away). contrary to popular belief our school systems are great with award winning staff and teachers. we dont have a home depot or lowes because we have ace which is locally owned and operated as most of our businesses are. we are a small town and try to keep our money in the community. its supporting our neigbors. and YES we do have sidewalks. i grew up just barely in the city limits on a dirt road. its been paved over now but we use what we have and try our best. this is a small town. elma is the same only smaller. montesano has only one stop light. this whole area is the same. all connected with the same one road running through it. (monte-brady) it runs from shelton/matlock through elma and connects to monte. one big basin.

if someone wants a big town go look somewhere else. go find a tall building where you wont know your neigbors. the girl at the grocery store wont see your face everyday and call you by your name to say hello. your barista wont have your usual ready before you even reach the window. have fun with that.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,717 times
Default Why ?

I have made the decision to move to the Olympic Peninsula and have considered the Gray Harbor area, the Hood Canal area and the Port Angeles-Sequim area. I have eliminated Aberdeen because of the crime rate, almost eliminated the Port Angeles/Sequim area because of real estate prices and I have focused on an area from Belfair, Shelton to Union.
I was astonished to find out according to Internet obtained data that the crime rate in Shelton, for example was almost double the National Average, particularly in thefts and burglaries. As it did not make sense to me, I thought that some local residents may comment on this. Thank you very much.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpeppone View Post
I have made the decision to move to the Olympic Peninsula and have considered the Gray Harbor area, the Hood Canal area and the Port Angeles-Sequim area. I have eliminated Aberdeen because of the crime rate, almost eliminated the Port Angeles/Sequim area because of real estate prices and I have focused on an area from Belfair, Shelton to Union.
I was astonished to find out according to Internet obtained data that the crime rate in Shelton, for example was almost double the National Average, particularly in thefts and burglaries. As it did not make sense to me, I thought that some local residents may comment on this. Thank you very much.

Major meth problem. Lots of transients come through town adding to the crime. Keep in mind the crime is mostly behind closed doors. It isn't street crime and it isn't unsafe to walk or drive around because there isn't any gang problem. To be blunt, there is just a lot of low income losers who don't do much but smoke dope get drunk and occasionally get some part time work to qualify for unemployment the rest of the time. It's a timber industry town and attracts a pretty rough crowd.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Major meth problem. Lots of transients come through town adding to the crime. Keep in mind the crime is mostly behind closed doors. It isn't street crime and it isn't unsafe to walk or drive around because there isn't any gang problem. To be blunt, there is just a lot of low income losers who don't do much but smoke dope get drunk and occasionally get some part time work to qualify for unemployment the rest of the time. It's a timber industry town and attracts a pretty rough crowd.
Kanhawk, Hello

Thank you very much for your quick and very clear response. Street crime is not a major concern for me. I worked in Long Beach Ca, Monterey Park, CA and Garden Grove CA. though I lived in Orange County. I moved out of California because of the crowding, taxes, and various State laws. I served in combat zones many years ago and even pretty old I can still take care of myself. I am more concerned by burglaries when I am not home. I want to avoid the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area at it seems to have problems similar to Shelton. Forks,Westport and Ocean Shores are too isolated and the area Port Angeles.Sequim seems to have property prices well above the Belfair/Shelton/Union area. To make a long question short, could you make recommendations for any area on the Peninsula that could meet my wishes.
Thanks a million for your help.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpeppone View Post
Kanhawk, Hello

Thank you very much for your quick and very clear response. Street crime is not a major concern for me. I worked in Long Beach Ca, Monterey Park, CA and Garden Grove CA. though I lived in Orange County. I moved out of California because of the crowding, taxes, and various State laws. I served in combat zones many years ago and even pretty old I can still take care of myself. I am more concerned by burglaries when I am not home. I want to avoid the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area at it seems to have problems similar to Shelton. Forks,Westport and Ocean Shores are too isolated and the area Port Angeles.Sequim seems to have property prices well above the Belfair/Shelton/Union area. To make a long question short, could you make recommendations for any area on the Peninsula that could meet my wishes.
Thanks a million for your help.
There are many nice areas in Mason County once you get outside Shelton that have low crime and little burglary or other home break ins. The area I live in around Union is quite safe. I often keep an eye on the police reports in the local paper and there are few reports of any of those problems here. Another nice area is around Grapeview which is an area between Shelton and Belfair. Another nice area is Harstine Island, which is about 15 miles east of Shelton. Quiet and fairly low crime.
The home prices in these areas vary. There are some quite expensive homes along waterfronts that will run you $500,000 and up. However, the housing bust is also offering some real deals right now. Some homes, even on the local golf courses are selling as low as $125,000. While some of the cheaper homes are older, built in the 1970s, many are in surprisingly good locations.
BTW, you are wise to avoid Aberdeen/Hoquiam. There is one small town near there that I really do like called Montesano. Unlike most other towns in the area, Montesano is more a farming community, not a timber or fishing town and it just seems more stable and less rough around the edges than the surrounding towns.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,277 times
if you dont like are town then leave there lote worse town then ars olympia full same kind peapole dont matter were you go the drugs every were so so are pepole trafic some place lote bigger nice more do nice go some never been before every town got *******s rude pepole i do amit shelton got lote rude peapole live there like going wallmart here so rude ask worker anything

Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby boxberger View Post
if you dont like are town then leave there lote worse town then ars olympia full same kind peapole dont matter were you go the drugs every were so so are pepole trafic some place lote bigger nice more do nice go some never been before every town got *******s rude pepole i do amit shelton got lote rude peapole live there like going wallmart here so rude ask worker anything
Ha ha. Nice job misspelling every other word!

Old 12-26-2013, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,216 times
Look at the crime rate. Now try to find current data, it is much worse. Neighbors getting broken into as soon as they replace stuff. Rapes. Assaults, there is a crimedata site that I believe you can find on the Shelton police site. It will show you daily break-ins, rapes, car thefts, assaults ect.

We left the area, had been working with WestNet drug team to stop the Guatemalan drug ring that moved in next to us. Police told us to get a handgun should they not be able to get to us fast enough (five minutes) Look at the property value loss. Don't believe the nationality stats because there is a huge population of undocumented folks that come in for the Mexican drug cartel. (I used to help video document for WestNet so I should know)

Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 7,406 times
Seriously looking into relocating from Weatherford, Texas to NW of Shelton, Washington. I have read all the links talking about the highs and lows of the area. Weatherford, like Shelton was a small rural town community based companies and the cutting horse capital. We love the hometown feel, great schools, the layed back lifestyle. However the never ending heat of the summer (april-october, lol) and the new to Texas SNOW. what? they do not know what to do with it,so they just shut everything down. Plus the job markets here are slim in a small town if you don't know the right people you are not getting a job. Texas is beautiful, however it is too hot to go out and enjoy it.
So that being said, we are moving to enjoy outdoor living and fresh air and pine trees, hiking biking swimming boating and camping.sitting on the patio watching the bomb-fire and beautiful woodsy and water views. reading a book (the paper kind) making homemade meals from my garden and just simplify.
We have 2 school kids who are addicted to electronics but love soccer and baseball but are forced indoors cause of the weather. Hubby is a master tradesman whose field is being outbid by the recent rash of low bid illegal immigrants invading the area. I paid $3000 to get a CNA that pays a whopping $9.50hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington