U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,910 times

Advertisements

Sorry really need to continue. Long story short. All small rural towns are boring for teenagers and bored teens always find trouble. drugs are everywhere, one just sees it more openly in small close knit communities. and there are good and bad parts to these towns as well.
So I am looking for information on affordable 3/2 modest homes with a nice view away from downtown with a good school district where my hubby and I can find jobs as a CNA and maintenance, handyman , cabinet maker, utility locator.
We are planning on making this move when school gets out for the summer.
just a straight answer: what does a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread cost ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 PM

6,127 posts, read 4,336,578 times
Olympic Peninsula:

Negative: Depressed resource-based economy = drugs = crime

Positive: Access to nature, beaches, rain forest, mountains, camping, hiking, fishing, etc.

In Aberdeen, there have always been two areas, the flats and the heights (to the north). The first was heavily effected by the pollution-plumes from the mills, while the second was much less so. The druggies and crime are also much more likely to be found in the flats, where the cheapest rents are also to be found.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:09 PM

261 posts, read 335,892 times
Just out of curiosity, Madrea, why Shelton? It reminds me of any blue-collar mill town anywhere in the western US. Is there a specific job there or are you looking to commute to Olympia?

(I don't live in Shelton, but live on the Kitsap Peninsula nearby. Seems to me there are better opportunities a little further northeast or south of Shelton than in Shelton itself.)

Just went shopping tonight. Store brand milk here: $3.29. Better quality brand (Darigold): $3.79. Better quality bread (Franz): special 2/$5, usually $3.49 - $3.79.

CNA--are you looking to work in a retirement environment or a different type of facility? The better paying jobs will be in the Olympia area, but it is a quick commute relative to the Seattle area.

Considering I have a cousin in Whitt, you'd think I'd be more familiar with Weatherford. Chuckled at the cutting horse comment; my cousin's family trains cutting horses.

PS Soccer and baseball are played here almost regardless of the weather. Lightning, heavy rain, and snow will cancel; but light rain/drizzle it's "Play Ball!" If we didn't, we'd never get through a season!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,910 times
Prosin We are thinking of Shelton mostly because of the small town feel, the proximity to the Olympic forest and the many small bodies of water. My husband would not mind commuting to Olympia and from the looks of it he will probably have to to get a job in his field of construction or cabinet making. however we did see a utility locating position for mason county and he does have all his credentials for that. I want to work in Shelton at a rehab/nursing home. I really like what I see online about the rehab facility on Johns Prairie. I really like the idea that it is employee owned, and the online pictures show very well.plus the starting pay is $2 more per hour than I am getting at my privately owned facility.
The houses we are looking at are either in the Timberlakes estates or in the little subdivisions just off hwy 101 to the east. As for the groceries, what store was that? when I go online and look at the shelton walmart weekly circular the prices are a bit cheaper. here in Weatherford the walmart milk is $3.89 a gallon but they sell an local brand that is only $2.89 and usually buy walmart brand no frill white bread which runs $1.08. Living in Weatherford I have never heard of Whitt , go figure. If you can tell me anything else about the area, and if you know anything about the rehab facility, the Timberlakes,,or other things I typed about It would be very interested. we are looking at Union, and up route 3 as far as Bremerton.basically any where in the Mason county area but not any further south than shelton.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 14,244 times
I was born in Shelton over 60 years ago and raised in western Mason County. Rode the bus to schools in Shelton. Graduated from Shelton High School (Actually the old Irene S. Reed school) eons ago. Went to college and then the service. Ended up in California for about 30 years. I have 2 bachelors degrees. My wife is a college graduate. My daughter is a college graduate and professional artist. We have traveled extensively around the USA and I have seen a lot of Europe.

When I retired I looked at many places in the USA to retire to. We kinda liked Texas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Idaho and North/South Dakota areas. There are pluses and minuses to living anywhere.

Western WA, as a whole, has the big cities and is more liberal. Eastern WA is more rural farming and more conservative.

When all was studied and thought about, we bought a home in a private country club outside the Shelton city limits. Semi-private, but not a gated community. Minimal HOA rules, but that sense of community. We do most of our shopping in Shelton, but go to Olympia about once a month and to Belfair once a month (where our bank is).

Yes, we have a 4x4 Jeep, but also drive a Prius when it is not snowing. We drink local and imported beer, and both cheap and fancy wines. We don't do any hunting anymore but do some fishing. We BarBQ almost year round on our back deck.

I wouldn't leave Shelton for anything. As for any crime, a very high percentage of local residents have concealed pistol carry permits and you fend for yourself, if needed.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 PM

26 posts, read 19,697 times
NO! Don't go to Shelton. It is a dump. I lived there for close to 10 years and finally made it out. That town is like a blackhole that you end up trapped in. Working in Walmart, McDonalds, or Burger King.
There are way too many hicks. Way too many meth heads. Too many people smoking oxy's. And on top of all of that, they pop out as many kids as the Mexicanos running around in their beaner vans. Stay in Elma. If you have to move OLYMPIA is the place to go for sure!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:02 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,331,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpeppone View Post
I have made the decision to move to the Olympic Peninsula and have considered the Gray Harbor area, the Hood Canal area and the Port Angeles-Sequim area. I have eliminated Aberdeen because of the crime rate, almost eliminated the Port Angeles/Sequim area because of real estate prices and I have focused on an area from Belfair, Shelton to Union.
I was astonished to find out according to Internet obtained data that the crime rate in Shelton, for example was almost double the National Average, particularly in thefts and burglaries. As it did not make sense to me, I thought that some local residents may comment on this. Thank you very much.
Stay off the peninsula. With the exception of Gig Harbor/Fox Island, it's all like that. There just isn't an economy to keep people busy, contented and out of trouble.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 AM

3,698 posts, read 3,019,263 times
I last posted in 09 on this thread, since then I've passed through Shelton a few times and found it to be basically the same place, a mill town with a growing variety of citizen archetypes. Throughout most of it's history this place had but one level of social strata, lumber mill workers and those who cut trees in the logging industry, that's it, just one kind of major work that utilized a type of people who were rough enough to handle the daily slugfest of hardship that characterized that work.

With the state capitol just a short commute on smooth new highways the town became a haven for state workers seeking better housing prices and a less congested town life. Retirees have also found a home in Shelton and nearby towns that welcomed newcomers to the previously waning tax base. The older posts here aren't an actual review of the area as much as they serve to reflect the personal experience of the younger crowd who may suffer the usual small town blues, until they too have had enough of the big city life.

Washington has had a long history with the extraction industries, mining, logging, fishing, farming, all of these industries singular or together were the original underpinnings of Washington's small towns. Mining is gone, fishing is a depreciated memory, but logging and farming are alive and well in most of the rural parts of the state. Now, that said, the towns that were built around these businesses ALL have a common thread to them and that is the fact of a mono culture being the norm for hundreds of years.

Slowly that is changing, if anyone were to think about what that mono culture history means before moving to these areas they wouldn't be so enamored of the small town myths of living a tranquil life of ease. Instead, a view that includes the reality of the hardships inherent in a life of hard work with little to show for it goes a long way to understanding the social dynamic of small town living. Drugs and crime are the usual fare in most of rural America, Shelton may seem to have an excess of those problems but mostly to those who haven't lived elsewhere.

The majority of Shelton's citizens are hard working types who mind their business and hope you can mind yours, they are a mix of what makes any American town a good place to live, they are decent and law abiding but not apologetic for those who aren't. You can walk the entire town night or day without fear, the crime here is tied to the drug problem, but you won't find gangs on the street corners nor will you feel a need to protect yourself above a level that would be called for anywhere else. I lived in Elma for years and found the same kind of people, same kind of problems, and now living in Vancouver Washington I see the scale enlarged but the core remains the same.

For out of stater's I'd be way more concerned with your adapting to our weather than our social climate. Here we have some of the most confounding weather found anywhere in the US, rain, and lots of it, gray skies are the winter norm, a type of damp cold that defies the fact that it is really only in the forties but chills one to the bone in a short time. Green, every possible shade of it, from a kind of dark grayish color to bizarre electric yellow greens, fog that drifts down on the surrounding hills to give an eerie effect worthy of author Ken Kesey's description of a sky "the color of a dirty nickle".

The area around Shelton is a bounty of natural beauty, our rain has a way of allowing the forests to grow into cathedrals of majestic timber stretching for miles, walking paths are found everywhere here in the NW, and the best part of the summers here is walking in that beautiful greenery brought by the rains of winter. It becomes a trade off, everybody dreading the long days of gray, but all the while knowing the payoff is coming, and summers here are a daily celebration of BBQ's, town strolls, water sports, and sightseeing. I always encourage those with a computer to "drive around" on Google maps to see the area in question, it's a cool way to "see" the landscape. But nothing beats just coming here to the NW and exploring on vacation.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:08 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,377,175 times
I would think long & hard about relocating a 15 y.o. to one of the small logging, fishing or mill towns of Western WA, they will be nothing like Woodinville, which is now a pricey area. Rural Western WA is a closed community, very cliqueish. Public school students have most likely known each other since birth. The nature is beautiful but you have to have people who are willing to talk to you & accept you, IMO. Are you close to your relatives in Oregon so that they can be a support system? If so, go there. Otherwise, prepare for shunning & other unplesantries.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM

6,127 posts, read 4,336,578 times
The primary attraction, other than access to nature, of a towns like Shelton is cheap rent and low housing prices. At least you can commute to Olympia, but even there competition for jobs is pretty fierce (and having a "Shelton" address could count against you).

Instead of Shelton, I'd suggest McCleary. Smaller, more tight-knit, about the same distance from Olympia (but a little closer to the ocean). Not a lot of rentals, but fairly low rent for the ones that are there. For instance:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2-...03988347_zpid/

For pine trees (the primary tree in western Washington is douglas fir), as well as "cutting horses", you'll need to look east of the Cascades, to the Wenatchee/Ellensburg/Cle Elum/Yakima area. (Ellensburg has held a rodeo since 1923). The weather won't be the complete polar opposite of Texas that Shelton is, but has all four seasons, with still relatively hot, but not "burning" summers. On the other hand, similar to Texas, there are lots of Hispanics (especially in the Yakima area).

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-26-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington