U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:21 PM

12,222 posts, read 8,954,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLF View Post
I heard the Saw Mill was back?

I wanted to follow up on this, for the poster who just woke the thread up asking specifically about the mill. I was in the car and unable to look it up... Sierra Pacific now owns the formerly Simpson mill right downtown, and it is indeed up and running.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:12 PM

3,098 posts, read 1,711,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Have you and I been to the same Shelton and Centralia?
Unless there is more than two towns sharing the name. Why?

Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Have you and I been to the same Shelton and Centralia?
If you’re the bug eyed guy, or one of the lazy, uninformed in the Centralia HD or the lady who lost it and yelled because she couldn’t find my paint color, yes, you’re the reason I drive to the Olympia HD.

If you’re a local taking umbrage because I made some observations on your area..honesty is always best. If more folks like NWarty told the truth about how a place really is, namely the drug problems, it would benefit anyone considering a move.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:33 PM

12,222 posts, read 8,954,446 times
There are more than 100,000 people who live in the areas being discussed. I happen to know many of them... but not near all. The vast majority of people who live around Centralia and Shelton (which is actually the subject of this thread) are not on Meth, and don't know anyone who is. They are not surly, overly suspicious, or any more limited in their thinking than anyone anywhere. There are people who live an hour (or more!) from any big city and love that, even the kids. We all have our own perceptions and observations and preferences, and even if they don't match yours, they can still be honest and valid and true.

I've never had a bad experience with anyone at the Home Depot In Centralia, or Olympia, and we've made many significant purchases at both. But even that truth doesn't make yours invalid, Taz... It's sometimes both a small world and a big one... We might even go to the same clerk and have a different experience. I once boycotted a farm supply for a few years because of one bad exchange with a clerk over some fence wire I wanted to return. It was emotional and fickle and probably unfair and circumstances change, and we now, 10 years later, get most of our supplies there. The same clerk is there, and she's good at her job and it was mostly forgotten... til just now.

People are nothing if not difficult sometimes, every single one of us! - And interesting, and different. I help people every day who are looking for something I wouldn't personally like. Doesn't make it wrong, it just means people are different and like different things. And can be different on different days. And they see things differently and bring their own baggage and biases with them... for good or ill. People should definitely listen to lots of opinions on this or any topic... and figure out which one seems to see things the most like them. I find the differences in people amusing ... or at least interesting.

Back to topic... In my opinion, Shelton is a great town these days, imho, and I've been around here long enough to have seen more than one up and down turn. It's back up again. It's growing! Some may like that... some may not. Check it out for yourself.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM

2,807 posts, read 1,114,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Unless there is more than two towns sharing the name. Why?
Quote:
There is no way I’d want to live there, drugs like meth are a huge problem, like they are in most any rural area. The towns are cut off from most conveniences, which would mean driving quite a distance.

The clerks at HD in Centralia are some of the rudest and most surly ever, and I’d hate to see a smaller town full of those types.

Towns like Shelton can appeal to the right people, but I’d be happy to spend a day browsing and then head home to a less isolated place.
I haven't run into those rude and surly people in Centralia. Guess I've just been lucky.

Shelton isn't a booming city but it's not exactly isolated either. I also doubt it has any more of a drug problem than any other town of its size. If you're looking for people on meth I suggest you try Olympia first.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There are more than 100,000 people who live in the areas being discussed. I happen to know many of them... but not near all. The vast majority of people who live around Centralia and Shelton (which is actually the subject of this thread) are not on Meth, and don't know anyone who is. They are not surly, overly suspicious, or any more limited in their thinking than anyone anywhere. There are people who live an hour (or more!) from any big city and love that, even the kids. We all have our own perceptions and observations and preferences, and even if they don't match yours, they can still be honest and valid and true.

I've never had a bad experience with anyone at the Home Depot In Centralia, or Olympia, and we've made many significant purchases at both. But even that truth doesn't make yours invalid, Taz... It's sometimes both a small world and a big one... We might even go to the same clerk and have a different experience. I once boycotted a farm supply for a few years because of one bad exchange with a clerk over some fence wire I wanted to return. It was emotional and fickle and probably unfair and circumstances change, and we now, 10 years later, get most of our supplies there. The same clerk is there, and she's good at her job and it was mostly forgotten... til just now.

People are nothing if not difficult sometimes, every single one of us! - And interesting, and different. I help people every day who are looking for something I wouldn't personally like. Doesn't make it wrong, it just means people are different and like different things. And can be different on different days. And they see things differently and bring their own baggage and biases with them... for good or ill. People should definitely listen to lots of opinions on this or any topic... and figure out which one seems to see things the most like them. I find the differences in people amusing ... or at least interesting.

Back to topic... In my opinion, Shelton is a great town these days, imho, and I've been around here long enough to have seen more than one up and down turn. It's back up again. It's growing! Some may like that... some may not. Check it out for yourself.
Diana, your observations are coming from someone who grew up here. Your friends, family, teachers are all around this area. That’s fine, but it’s easy to have a different prospective from an outsider’s point of view.

I’m not calling everyone meth heads, but opioid and drug use is rampant here. I’m not completely confortable with that and any state with legal pot is going to attract it’s share of riff raff. I’ve spent some time voicing my unhappiness at living so close to trash dumpers, but after getting to know some of them and aside from all kinds of crap in their front yards, I genuinely like them.

As far as Home Depot, I’ve been to many HD’s in different states, and surliness and lack of knowledge rule here. I see it as an outsider and it may also be the reason I’m treated differently than you. People in towns all across the US, know pretty quickly if you’re one of them or not..Centralia and surrounding area is an insulated place and yes, many people are surly.

A lady at the paint counter, raised her voice to me because she couldn’t find the paint color I asked her to find. A first from any Home Depot employee and it was very unprofessional. The first story of the bug eye guy was when he promised to come over and help me find something in HD, then never showed up. Later in the store, I was at the register and resquested help loading stuff in the car. The guy who showed up to help, was bug eye. He looked taken aback to see me, then said ‘we’re cool, right’. This was presumably from earlier when he promised to help me find an item, then disappeared. Stupid behavior. I have no patience with adults who act like idiots, especially when they are in a public job. I have lots more bad stories on him in other trips to HD Centralia, but finally stopped going to that store.

You have the attitude of ‘it’s good enough for me, it ought to be good enough for you’. I get that this is your home, but people see with different eyes. Not everyone is as enamored of this place as you are. Shelton has it’s good points, it’s up to each person to visit and decide for themselves, if Shelton is a good fit or not. I do like the Hood Canal area, it’s very pretty and peaceful. Would I live there, not in a million.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I haven't run into those rude and surly people in Centralia. Guess I've just been lucky.

Shelton isn't a booming city but it's not exactly isolated either. I also doubt it has any more of a drug problem than any other town of its size. If you're looking for people on meth I suggest you try Olympia first.
As I mentioned to Diana, it may just be the way they treat outsiders. People can always tell if you are one of their own or not. There is no more or less rudeness in Centralia than in other small area towns. More than one person has been under the impression that I’m from CA, and they don’t seem real happy about it.

Agree with you on Olympia, there are a ton of druggies, but there is no escaping that anywhere. On a recent trip around Fall City, which is a very clean and prosperous looking area, a hippie looking, older dude with a gray ponytail, dressed all in purple was dancing along the side of the road.

Last edited by Taz22; 06-20-2019 at 11:26 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM

464 posts, read 238,650 times
Quote:
As I mentioned to Diana, it may just be the way they treat outsiders. People can always tell if you are one of their own or not. There is no more or less rudeness in Centralia than in other small area towns. More than one person has been under the impression that I’m from CA, and they don’t seem real happy about it.

Agree with you on Olympia, there are a ton of druggies, but there is no escaping that anywhere. On a recent trip around Fall City, which is a very clean and prosperous looking area, a hippie looking, older dude with a gray ponytail, dressed all in purple was dancing along the side of the road.

Well I'm actually from Cali (LA area and homeless to boot! ) and I can guarantee you they didn't like me.

Issaquah, (right by Fall City) when I first got there I would say the town did seem a bit "clannish," it took me awhile to become a regular townie there.

But it was worth it, I love that little town, it's my favorite small (smallish now ) town in the continental US!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXGNq7HLo9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVF2WXTN1s

Thx

Old 06-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Well I'm actually from Cali (LA area and homeless to boot! ) and I can guarantee you they didn't like me.

Issaquah, (right by Fall City) when I first got there I would say the town did seem a bit "clannish," it took me awhile to become a regular townie there.

But it was worth it, I love that little town, it's my favorite small (smallish now ) town in the continental US!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXGNq7HLo9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVF2WXTN1s

Thx
I enjoyed your salmon days clip, thanks. Like you, I’m very favorably impressed with that area. If you’re a newcomer here, many locals will assume you’re from CA. Some aren’t too pleased. Something I noticed right away was the uniform clean yards and pride that people take in their homes. Out here, you’ll see a variety of yards and houses in various states of disrepair. You are very lucky to live there. Good choice!

One of the houses out here has a ton of junk in the yard. He recently set out a toilet on a pile of trash, then moved it. Now, each time I go by, it’s time to play ‘find the toilet’. Oh well, if you can’t have fun with a neighbors missing toilet, what can you have fun with.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:40 AM

464 posts, read 238,650 times
Quote:
I enjoyed your salmon days clip, thanks. Like you, I’m very favorably impressed with that area. If you’re a newcomer here, many locals will assume you’re from CA. Some aren’t too pleased. Something I noticed right away was the uniform clean yards and pride that people take in their homes. Out here, you’ll see a variety of yards and houses in various states of disrepair. You are very lucky to live there. Good choice!

One of the houses out here has a ton of junk in the yard. He recently set out a toilet on a pile of trash, then moved it. Now, each time I go by, it’s time to play ‘find the toilet’. Oh well, if you can’t have fun with a neighbors missing toilet, what can you have fun with.

I did live and work in Issaquah for almost ten years, had a room at the Grand Central Hotel and could easily write a book about my experiences there.

(Hmm, the pic should be bigger than that, click on it to expand.)

Right there next to the Rollin' Log Tavern.

Actually, one of these days I will be retiring to a property perhaps closer to you next to the Olympic Forest in Lilliwaup.

(And I promise, no discarded fixtures on the lawn!

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington