Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:20 PM

57 posts, read 238,590 times

Advertisements

As far as I am concerned, one of the nice things about WA is that we don't have the natural disasters that plague a lot of the country - just prone to earthquakes but fortunately not on a frequent basis. And yes, you take your spending habits with you, just like the rest of yourself. WA is pretty to look at and has lots of nice places and things to do. I have simply been here too long, feel too wet and grey and that is the basis for my wanting to move. As far as other native Washingtonians go, I find they generally fall into two camps - either they love it and cannot imagine anywhere else, or else they want to leave. My husband, for instance, can't imagine living anywhere where they don't have an everlastingly green tree every foot or where it doesn't rain much of the year. I think he ought to move out to the WA coastal areas. Me, I am trying to figure out how to go to Nevada. Getting out of debt would of course help all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 PM

339 posts, read 707,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcjmom View Post
As far as I am concerned, one of the nice things about WA is that we don't have the natural disasters that plague a lot of the country - just prone to earthquakes but fortunately not on a frequent basis. And yes, you take your spending habits with you, just like the rest of yourself. WA is pretty to look at and has lots of nice places and things to do. I have simply been here too long, feel too wet and grey and that is the basis for my wanting to move. As far as other native Washingtonians go, I find they generally fall into two camps - either they love it and cannot imagine anywhere else, or else they want to leave. My husband, for instance, can't imagine living anywhere where they don't have an everlastingly green tree every foot or where it doesn't rain much of the year. I think he ought to move out to the WA coastal areas. Me, I am trying to figure out how to go to Nevada. Getting out of debt would of course help all of that.
Is flooding still considered a natural disaster? Last I heard there are about 7 counties looking to get disaster relief because their houses and businesses have washed away. Is this correct, or am I thinking of another WA?

Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 AM

38 posts, read 35,319 times
Washington's not all that expensive. Tying up loose ends, orchestrating job transfers, and selling their houses could be reasons why people aren't impulsively buying airline tickets to somewhere else. It takes some time to plan a move, and moving itself isn't free.

I think many of the complainers are on their way out and are just griping up until the u-haul pulls into the driveway.

Also, the polemics brought up on this city forum get ridiculous, with exaggerations on both sides. Shades of gray, folks, just like our skies.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 AM

No, am well aware of the flooding as I don't live too far from some of the flooded areas and know a young couple who lost it all. I didn't mention the floods because they are not supposed to happen on a regular basis. I read that over in Vernonia they were suggesting it was a once every 105 year-type flood. Outside of the occasional earthquake, the flooding here is about as bad as it gets in Washington as far as natural disasters. Tornados and hurricanes do happen every year. And wildfires. That is why they rate higher to me on the disaster scale when I consider places to move to. Is the lack of those things in WA (and the moderate marine temps) incentives to stay in WA? No, not for me.

And I suspect that it will happen again on the same scale in the Centralia/Chehalis area, for example, because I understand that the government plan they had to improve that situation kept losing the necessary funding to do so, due largely in part I think to the fact that it doesn't happen every year and government figured that there were higher priority items to spend that money on. The newspaper article that I read on that was not hopeful either regarding the government taking action to improve future flood situations.

I think that those of us who are complaining are hopefully planning to make some changes in our lives. I know one reason I come here is to see how the same things that I find wearing are of great interest to others, especially newcomers, and try to see things from their viewpoint. It helps to give me a reality check and keeps me on track with my priorities as far as to stay or to move. Everyone's experience being unique, it is of continuing interest to me. I think it all evens out in the long run and is a matter of personal perspective. So far, I keep thinking about moving, but I re-checking that decision because life keeps changing all the time and what may sound like a plan today may not tomorrow. And I try to weigh it all against what I know about where I want to go, based in large part on the other forums on this site.

One wonderful WA memory that I treasure, although I was a very young teen at the time, was the last days of when Seattle was a blue-collar town. I seem to recall a billboard that said something like 'Will the last person to leave Seattle turn out the lights?' There was a working waterfront, the Rainier Brewery, and only ONE coffee stand (that I knew of) - the Under The Monorail. Which actually was at that time. And back then it was not thinkable that the Bon Marche would be a Macy's, either. The one completely negative thing that I remember from those days was all of the uproar that the Green River killer caused then. Of course, it is a whole new town now, a far cry from what it was not that many years ago.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Was just over on one of the Idaho boards and somebody's handle there is 'YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY' which I found absolutely funny when I think of my financial situation and Washington!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,216 times
True, but you can sure breathe it in a lot better than you can breathe in the air in a lot of other places!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
About the only way I've seen people successfully move to get out of debt was when they sold property in an expensive State and moved to a State with cheaper housing costs. In effect they were cashing out.

Other than cashing out, it would seem easier to get out of debt without the added expense of relocating to another State.

Something to think about...

Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 PM

91 posts, read 372,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
About the only way I've seen people successfully move to get out of debt was when they sold property in an expensive State and moved to a State with cheaper housing costs. In effect they were cashing out.

Other than cashing out, it would seem easier to get out of debt without the added expense of relocating to another State.

Something to think about...
That is true for me,,When I get into washington it will knock about 40% off my monthly expenses verses what i currently pay,until then I just pray my Condo closes escrow next month...

Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:

But I have 6 kids, which makes it difficult to move. I don't have savings and will have to rely on a tax refund if I want to make it to Texas.

If I had been smart, I would've up and moved out of state and went to college at 18 instead of having a kid. LOL Although I probably wouldn't have had the guts to move away at that age since most of my family is here.

At any rate, my circumstances at this point just don't make it easy to do what I want.
Unfortunately, I believe with your circumstances, unless you hit the lottery or are already rich, a move is not in the near future. Heck I am getting old as heck and a move is not anywhere close in my future! Dealing with your six kids will be foremost in your life and means that your paychecks will more or less go towards that then trying to get out of Washington.

I hve to commend you on your ability to maintain what you do have and deal with your kids. Maybe one day we will see you in Texas!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcjmom View Post
Was just over on one of the Idaho boards and somebody's handle there is 'YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY' which I found absolutely funny when I think of my financial situation and Washington!
Actually, we are "eating the scenery"--some of it anyway! Our freezer is well-stocked with produce from our very scenic backyard: apples (6 varieties), peaches, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, pears, figs, plums, rhubarb, and asparagus. We also had green seedless grapes and hardy kiwi, but they couldn't be frozen. We shared our summer bounty with family, friends and neighbors, and yet sill had plenty to freeze for later. This was our first summer here, so we had no idea how large of a crop to expect from the variety of trees and bushes in our yard. Maybe this was just an over-achieving growing season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Croix to Seattle View Post
That is true for me,,When I get into washington it will knock about 40% off my monthly expenses verses what i currently pay,until then I just pray my Condo closes escrow next month...
Overall, it's less expensive here for us too. Western Washington has higher gas prices than we had in central FL, but auto insurance is half what we paid there! My husband thought the car insurance statement was mistaken, but happily it was correct. No state tax in either place, and property tax seems about the same. Heating costs here are higher naturally, but electricity costs much less--it was a killer to run AC for 9 months a year in FL. Our electric bills were often over $400 per month there. We're thrilled to be rid of our neighborhood association fees too (not to mention their overzealous control tactics)! We love living in an older intown neighborhood. Food is higher up here, but that's probably because I'm spoiled by Central Market now and shop mostly there. Good thing the backyard bounty filled the freezer!

Good luck with your condo closing, St. Croix!

Lynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington