Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 36,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Are there parts of western WA that get less rain than the Seattle/Tacoma areas? I also like rain but don't know about sixty inches a year of it. We like southern Oregon but miss the ocean. In a year or two we may move further north and now is as good a time as any to start looking.

We've been to Sequim and didn't think living there would work for us; too cookie-cutter. Port Townsend is intriguing; which of the San Juan Island is nearest to civilization? I love the look of Gig Harbor but it surrrrrre gets a lotta rain...
Bellingham 33.37in. of rain in the last 365.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Yumyumyum
Maybe for you. It must get real boring working indoors 8 hours a day then spending the other 16 in the house.

I wonder how much the auto parts stores rape people for windshield wipers up there. I think I bought my first pair ever this year for less then $5. I hear the same ones cost $25 in the northwest.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Maybe for you. It must get real boring working indoors 8 hours a day then spending the other 16 in the house.

I wonder how much the auto parts stores rape people for windshield wipers up there. I think I bought my first pair ever this year for less then $5. I hear the same ones cost $25 in the northwest.
If I buy them online?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
It's not the amount of rainfall per year that's the problem---certainly other places get more rainfall than Seattle. It's the WAY in which it falls. Many other places have a hard rainfall or a good day of rain or so. In Seattle and W WA, the rain is a fine, cold, clammy, mist that lingers for days, sometimes weeks on end. Sure maybe only 36 inches of rain but when it's spread out over a longer period....that's the problem.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:44 PM

Being a UPS Man it's much better having the rain spread out over a longer period. When it rains heavy that just stinks. Having the fine, cold, clammy, mist that lingers is better, makes my job much easier. Although, it also makes it more slippery. Overcast and cold is still the best for me.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
I have decided to just turn the tables and go out whenever it is raining and stay in whenever the sun comes out. Just do a total flip-flop!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Thumbs up You're too funny!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I have decided to just turn the tables and go out whenever it is raining and stay in whenever the sun comes out. Just do a total flip-flop!

You're too funny!!! LOL

Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM

57 posts, read 238,536 times
Well, I think rain in and of itself may be beautiful to look at but I don't like to be in it or the grey skies or the coldness that usually comes with it.

The posting about the top ten rain cities got my attention because I lived for a year in Port Arthur, TX. They get their rain inches in a few hours. They have huge drainholes in the street as compared to WA just to accomodate that fact.

They, however, do have a lot less grey sky, endless wetness coming down, and so forth. So yes, as far as rain amount goes, I prefer it there, rather than here. Even though they actually get more rain. What they also have, however, is tremendous humidity in the summer with no breezes, mosquitos that poke you through clothing layers (my hubby rarely got bit, wearing long johns at 70 degrees down there helped with that, although he wore them because he would get cold less than that) and flying cockroaches. And of course, summer is storm season, with hurricane possibilities. So personally I found the rain better there but not other things. Would I go back there? Probably not, although still have a friend or two there. Do I prefer the rain there? Yes.

I guess one either gets used to it here or not. Likes it or not. Me, not adjusted after over 40 years and not really liking it either. One reason we moved to PA to begin with. So now, back with family and friends and really taking some time to think and plan before leaping out of state again.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Default "the WAY in which it falls..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
It's not the amount of rainfall per year that's the problem---certainly other places get more rainfall than Seattle. It's the WAY in which it falls. Many other places have a hard rainfall or a good day of rain or so. In Seattle and W WA, the rain is a fine, cold, clammy, mist that lingers for days, sometimes weeks on end. Sure maybe only 36 inches of rain but when it's spread out over a longer period....that's the problem.
I totally agree! I am from Texas. We get some severe major crazy kind of granddaddy of all rainstorms there... we say "it's dumping on us"... but the worst of it will last maybe an hour, maybe slightly longer... and then it's MAGIC. The storm passes... you can watch the storms come in and leave - it's so cool.... and then the sky! You can see rainbows... the sky... the sun... have stick races!

The sun.... oh how I miss the sun...

Here it is so grey, so cold, so chilly, so dark.... being closer to the north pole, we get less daylight hours here than I'm used to in Texas and even California...

It takes some getting used to. Even an hour more of light would make a difference.... the kids come home from school at 3... by 4 it's dark. It's awful. No time to play outside. Even in the rain...

And it mists here, and it's as if the hills and mountains and perhaps even all the trees sort of trap the storms, the pollution, the grey, the mist, the dark...

You can't watch storms come and go here unless you're on the coast. it's pretty cool to do on the coast, actually... but being on the coast during a storm is either extremely cool or kinda scary depending on the severity of the storm...

Anyway - I'm rambling. I am feeling this stretch of long, dark, cold, chilly, wet, dark, did I say dark? Did I say cold? I need a trip to Hawaii... or maybe a tanning bed - that won't give me freckles and wrinkles and leathery skin and cancer. Is there such a thing?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 PM

392 posts, read 1,556,462 times
How about the summers when it's still light at 9:45?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington