Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:28 PM

10 posts, read 12,352 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Beautiful forum here. Over several years I've refered to city-data forums on various issues as they figure so prominently in Google searches.

But I am posting now because I need some specific help.

I am a brown man in my 30s. I've been wanting to move to the Pacific Northwest for some time now, but strangely I've never visited the place. So I am taking a 7-10 day trip around the area to check it out.

What draws me to the PNW specifically is it's lush nature (from what I've seen on photos and video). I also need to unwind and relax for some time due to burn out from work. (although I am not going to stop working, Just moving to a less stressful place). I don't think I'd mind the rain. As for job, I work online, so all I need is an internet connection.

I don't want to live in a bustling city– I want to live close to nature in a quiet place.

I am looking for a liberal town. This is important.

I'd like to live in a Single Family Home or a cottage or something so ideally away from downtown and any busy/noisy roads.

I live in NJ right now, and I am not too thrilled about the cost of living here. Something cheaper would be good, but not necessary.

My plans are to fly to Portland from NJ, spend some time in and around Portland. Then drive up to Olympia and check it out. Then visit the towns north on the Olympic Peninsula, Sequim and Port Townsend. I'd also like to hike in the Hoh Rainforest, if possible. Then drive back to Portland and fly out unless I can get a return flight from Seattle.

Could you comment on these towns in relation to my needs and do you know of any other places that match what I am looking for?

Last edited by TestUser11; 08-24-2014 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
If you've got 10 days, I'd spend a day on the Oregon coast (Seaside, etc.), before running up to Seattle. For "liberal" towns, you might want to check out Olympia and Bellingham, along with Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles.

If you're going to visit the Hoh rainforest, also consider visiting Rialto Beach near La Push.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If you've got 10 days, I'd spend a day on the Oregon coast (Seaside, etc.), before running up to Seattle. For "liberal" towns, you might want to check out Olympia and Bellingham, along with Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles.

If you're going to visit the Hoh rainforest, also consider visiting Rialto Beach near La Push.
Sorta doubt most would classify Sequim as liberal. But there are others here way more familiar with the political flavor of Sequim than I am so maybe they will post. All the rest, yes.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I forgot to mention, it's a plus if it has a hippy-ish vibe.

I now also have Eugene, OR down on my list.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser11 View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I forgot to mention, it's a plus if it has a hippy-ish vibe.

I now also have Eugene, OR down on my list.
Bellingham...

Old 08-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Sorta doubt most would classify Sequim as liberal. But there are others here way more familiar with the political flavor of Sequim than I am so maybe they will post. All the rest, yes.
Port Townsend is definitely liberal. Sequim is more conservative due to the number of retirees who've moved there. The general area (Port Townsend to Port Angeles) still tends to vote Demoicratic, I believe.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Port Townsend is definitely liberal. Sequim is more conservative due to the number of retirees who've moved there. The general area (Port Townsend to Port Angeles) still tends to vote Demoicratic, I believe.
You know, there is such a thing as liberal retirees. In fact, aren't the Baby Boomers predominantly liberal? I'm wondering if Sequim is really as stodgy as people say. One of the posters here, Rabbit somebody, said there are a lot of scientists there due to the presence of a national lab (?), and he said they're fun and very interesting.

I'd really like to get the real scoop on Sequim.

As for the OP-- One of the best places for quiet and proximity to nature is the San Juan Islands. People really fall in love with some of those islands. Very rural, forested, lots of natural beauty. There are other brown guys here and there, around there, too. There are some very liberal enclaves. Peaceful and rural, with neighborly people.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks Ruth, noted. I like your location.

BTW How do you pronounce Sequim?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser11 View Post
Thanks Ruth, noted. I like your location.

BTW How do you pronounce Sequim?
Skwim. Like the word "squid" with an M instead of a D.

My husband and I spent a week or so there a few years ago to see if we might want to retire there. We loved the abundant natural beauty of area and the people we met were super nice, but we felt there was probably going to be some unbridled growth in the future and there was a lot of highway noise where we were staying that put us off (near John Wayne Marina) so we took it off our list.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Ahh thanks irootoo... glad I asked.

This is a bit off topic, maybe not, but as I plan my trip... should I take any specific gear for the PNW with me? I am taking my raincoat and my usual hoodies. I plan to wear some casual slip on shoes (that double as hiking shoes for short hikes here in NJ), do I need something more rain proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington