Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Advertisements

No word from Aberdeen on the job - no other job is coming through - so I verbally accepted an offer for a job over in Dodge City, KS. Great pay and benefits with all of the things like life insurance, 401K with matching funds, etc. Sign-on bonus and moving money is part of the deal - they really need someone with my training and experience. I flew over and spent a few days with them, had lunch out with my Director, etc., and the place started growing on me.

Don't want to wait out of work with my skillset - need ta keep practicing it - so I haven't signed on the dotted line just yet because housing is tight there, we asked for 3 months of hospital-supplied housing as part of the deal. That stopped negotiations since Monday, but the head of HR was gone at a Conference, too. We are prepared ta just drop that demand if it gets right down ta brass tacks, yes.

I tried like the dickens ta get one here in Washington but we're glad ta have this one, though. I'll come over to the Washington forum on city data now and a then, still. Take care everyone, for now, gonna get real busy over here in Moses Lake now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
That's too bad about Aberdeen...stay in touch, Elko, wherever you go! Maybe retirement in WA is an option? Positive vibes your way!

Old 06-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks, thisplacesucks! Haven't actually signed yet but I'm about 90% on board with it. Once HR lady returns on Monday the offer will be wrote up and e-mailed to us. Probably not fair to ask for 3 months paid hospital-supplied housing (probably an apartment) but for some reason Dodge City, KS, is almost devoid of rental house housing. Apartments are aplenty but we have those 2 dogs and 2 cats and getting rid of them is about as probable as the Sonic's winning the 2016 NBA Title. But the overall offer is very, very nice. And I will be the only one in my skillset...just need to answer to my Supervisor and Director. So it's a bit too hard to refuse at this point. Positive vibes back at ya!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:35 AM

I'm just about done with Orientation at the hospital in Dodge City. This town is small but does have a drive-in movie theater, zoo, movie theater, decent mall with a great J.C.Penney, YMCA, etc. It has several new car dealers including a Kia dealer, which will come in handy.

The people at the hospital seem hospitable (tee-hee) and our 2BD, 1 BA apartment is working out and saving us some money. There is a promotional DVD I picked up at the hospital that explains that Dodge City escapes the recession because, for one reason, "everybody's got ta eat." There are two large slaughterhouses and lots of vegetable farming all around the area. After all, this is Kansas.

Our spiritual connection has been made here and it is a good one. That is the most important thing to us as this old world continues ta spiral downward and out-of-control. I just wanted ta make an appearance and update everyone on here. My wife will be hopping on an Amtrak train here in Dodge City fairly soon and heading to Chicago ta see her Mom and stepdad and brothers there. It's about 800 miles away.

There are oodles and skaboodles of historical sites here in Dodge City as it was the playland of Bat Masterson, Doc Holliday, etc. The TV series 'Gunsmoke' was filmed here and Dennis Weaver was in the series. That's where he got his acting career off the ground. Dennis Hopper was born here. His favorite memories of Dodge City were hearing the train whistles so they put his statue over by the Santa Fe train depot. They've freshened and remodeled many of the old brick buildings in town so they look pretty good.

So things are moving along fine here. I could easily think of worse places ta live and work. I will be back here ta check on thigs going on around here.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:15 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'm just about done with Orientation at the hospital in Dodge City. This town is small but does have a drive-in movie theater, zoo, movie theater, decent mall with a great J.C.Penney, YMCA, etc. It has several new car dealers including a Kia dealer, which will come in handy.

The people at the hospital seem hospitable (tee-hee) and our 2BD, 1 BA apartment is working out and saving us some money. There is a promotional DVD I picked up at the hospital that explains that Dodge City escapes the recession because, for one reason, "everybody's got ta eat." There are two large slaughterhouses and lots of vegetable farming all around the area. After all, this is Kansas.

Our spiritual connection has been made here and it is a good one. That is the most important thing to us as this old world continues ta spiral downward and out-of-control. I just wanted ta make an appearance and update everyone on here. My wife will be hopping on an Amtrak train here in Dodge City fairly soon and heading to Chicago ta see her Mom and stepdad and brothers there. It's about 800 miles away.

There are oodles and skaboodles of historical sites here in Dodge City as it was the playland of Bat Masterson, Doc Holliday, etc. The TV series 'Gunsmoke' was filmed here and Dennis Weaver was in the series. That's where he got his acting career off the ground. Dennis Hopper was born here. His favorite memories of Dodge City were hearing the train whistles so they put his statue over by the Santa Fe train depot. They've freshened and remodeled many of the old brick buildings in town so they look pretty good.

So things are moving along fine here. I could easily think of worse places ta live and work. I will be back here ta check on thigs going on around here.
Glad things are settling down and working out for you!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 PM

Glad things are settling down and working out for you!

Thanks, mistyriver. I will do my best at this job and from what it looks like I think this should be a good fit. I can give them the skillset they need to revive this small department to where studies will be had weekly in here again. That makes them happy and if they're happy, I'm happy. So I'm glad ta be here. I'll be checking in here pert-near daily ta keep up with all things Pacific Northwesterly, for sure.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:08 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Good luck, Elko, stay in touch...I haven't been to Kansas in a long time, would like to know how it goes...

Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 PM

It was only a high of 73 degrees today under partly cloudy skies here in Dodge City, KS. Not bad at all! Gotta put in the 2010 Jesse Stone DVD 'No Remorse' and see the end of it. I was not really a Tom Selleck fan much until the Jesse Stone series.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 AM

Tonight at Wireless Arena in Dodge City, KS, there's this 70's rock and roll band out of Boston, MA, called Boston playing. My wife and I are thinking of going. Listening to 'Foreplay/Long Time' right now at fairly high volume on YouTube. Probably gonna have ta go party tonight in SW Kansas! Whoo-hooooooo!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Whoo - what a good coupla rock bands, Blue Oyster Cult and Boston. BOC I would call a really good road band that plays mostly blues music. My favorite of the bunch would have ta be Godzilla.

Boston is more of a spectacle of a band. Loud, in your face and full of Tom Schultz guitar bursts that just scream towards you with such a ferocity you've got ta take notice. There's a girl in the band now, too, she plays keyboards and harmony vocals. She also sings a song herself, it reminded me of country music.

But I've always wanted ta see Boston, they were one of my 70's favorites, and now I have. And it was in Dodge City, KS, my new home, of all places. United Wireless Arena was abuzz with locals out for a good time. The capacity of the Arena is around 5,000. There were a good 4,500 there last night ready for a rockin' good time. It was a rockin' good time and much fun, too. Mrs. elkotronics and I are a bit slow outta sleepy mode this morning in the Midwest, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington