Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,303 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the area in the near future and I was wondering about the most convenient area to live in. I have been looking at the Poulsbo/Silverdale area and obviously distance wise they seem to be the best choices. Is the commute real bad from the Port Orchard area? I have been there a few times and it seems like a nice place. Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:37 PM

301 posts, read 516,051 times
Default Commute Options

Yes, Poulsbo and Silverdale are the closest to the base, so that may be preferable. Any chance you can get base housing?

Port Orchard is further out, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend commuting by car due to the length of time of the commute (about 40 minutes without traffic) and the gas/miles you would have to expend. Assuming you'd work day shift (6 a.m.-ish to 3 p.m.-ish), you might hit traffic at the bottleneck in Gorst, and the timing of it would be just as the day shift leaves PSNS and is trying to get through the same bottleneck.

Kitsap Transit offers day shift busing (free for Federal employees) from both Bremerton and South Kitsap so that is probably a more viable option:

Worker/Driver Buses | Kitsap Transit

South Kitsap/Bangor | Kitsap Transit. Park and rides are available at most locations.

Let us know of any lifestyle requirements (e.g. schools, budget, activities, etc.) and we can steer you to specific locations in the Kitsap area that will work for you.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,067 posts, read 80,118,318 times
Poulsbo is great if you want a quaint, quiet little city. It's also very reasonable in housing costs compared to Seattle and the eastside, but Bremerton is the least expensive plce with a reasonable commute. Silverdale has lot of businesses and restaurants, and some really great homes in the hills overlooking the Hood Canal, still for under $500k. Other inland parts of Silverdale you can still rent a nice 4 bedroom house on an acre for under $2,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington