U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 AM

334 posts, read 198,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Thanks. So would you say it's about being an American living in the equivalent of a Vancouver suburb? Is that the primary benefit?

Yes. And that it is safe and cheap to live here.

You can read our monthly newspaper online at All Point Bulletin | The Community Newspaper of Point Roberts, Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 02:18 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,007,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Yes. And that it is safe and cheap to live here.

You can read our monthly newspaper online at All Point Bulletin | The Community Newspaper of Point Roberts, Washington
I would definitely agree with Profnot. The main benefit for most people is that they're living virtually in a Vancouver suburb and can enjoy all that Vancouver has by way of culture, etc., without actually being a Canadian. The normal border restrictions apply, of course - no prohibited food, no bringing cash over a certain amount across, passports required at the crossing, and an occasional trip in to the border office for a going-over (figurative, not literal) by either side to satisfy themselves that you're not up to no good. So it's not a situation where you think, "Oh, the concert starts at 8:00. It's 7:45 now. Plenty of time to drive there." Not. You have to allow for possible delays at the border.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:19 PM

33 posts, read 26,465 times
I'm moving to the area in 4 weeks and looking at becoming permanent there or possibly Bellingham. I wondered what American locals do for medical care in an emergency. Do locals get to purchase additional medical coverage in Canada for just in case?

Old 09-03-2016, 01:54 AM

Hi 3hour,
If you are a retiree, your Medicare benefit will cover you in an emergency if they have to take you to a hospital in Canada for emergency services. If not, you should check your insurance to see if it will do the same. Our EMT ambulance personnel are trained more highly then normal EMT people just because of the isolation of the Point; therefore, you can feel safer in their hands as they can treat many things on an emergency basis. If you have to be taken to hospital, the Point Roberts EMT will take you to a transfer point in Canada just north of the border, and the Bellingham ambulance people meet them there and do a transfer to a Bellingham ambulance, which will take you to the Bellingham hospital. The whole trip takes about an hour. There is also an airlift service one can subscribe to, for a yearly fee; and you can be airlifted to Bellingham in an emergency. Point Roberts has a health clinic open three days a week and serves many of the normal needs of people.

In answer to your last question, it is not possible to buy medical coverage in Canada, since they have province-wide coverage that is paid from taxes. However, you can BUY services in Canada on a private one-at-a-time basis, and many people do that for dental, eye, and other minor things because of the distance to drive to Blaine or Bellingham.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:29 PM

23 posts, read 32,699 times
What do residents do for internet connection? DSL? Cable? Speed?

Is there a veterinarian?

And what are the marina facilities like? Would PR be a good place to berth a boat and cruise the islands and the Inside Passage?

Old 09-12-2016, 01:47 AM

There are two main options for internet (that I know of, other residents may correct me). One is the local phone service, Whidbey Telecom, quite fast and trouble-free, in my opinion. The other is through the cable service, Delta Cable (Eastlink) that comes from Canada. We changed from this service which we had for years to the local service so I'm not sure what their internet is like anymore. If you are not in a woodsy area but more out in the open, you can get satellite service from Dish or Direct, with all the advantages that these options allow. This option was not available to us because we're surrounded by tall trees.

The marina is a great one; many Vancouverites use it because it is slightly cheaper than the marinas in the Vancouver area. A picture is shown on their site: About Point Roberts Marina - Point Roberts Marina | Point Roberts Marina Boating is one of the main hobbies of residents.

There are horses on the Point, and it seems nearly everyone has a dog. Where they take these animals I have no idea.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 AM

18 posts, read 39,440 times
When I moved to Washington state from overseas, I thought it would be unique to live at Point Roberts. I wanted to be in close contact with Vancouver. Also, the idea of having to go into Canada from the US to get to Point Roberts made it seem unique.

I instead settled on Blaine. The time to travel to Vancouver from Blaine, using Nexus, is less than traveling from Point Roberts. Also, Blaine gets you easy access to White Rock, Langley, or Bellingham. Finally, he number of tourists entering Point Roberts at certain times of the year, even with a Nexus, overwhelms the CBP, and there are long lines. I have no regrets living in Blaine.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 946 times
Hi everybody,

I wonder if someone is still looking for the info about living/moving to Point Roberts. We've been the tiny place since 2015. If you like peaceful and quite place, this is the place.
Here's the introduction about it:
Location and transportation: less than 30 minutes drive to Vancouver, 1 hour to Bellingham, WA with our Nexus. We both work in Richmond BC, pretty much go across the border every day. Sometimes the border officer calls me by name. We still claim that we have vegi, meat, etc when we buy grocery from Canada.
Tele-communication: Like "ndcairngorm" said, there's a telephone company in PR who serves landline and DSL. Another solution for wifi is a Delta BC based cable company. Cell phones are covered by most of Canadian cell phone companies.
Medical: $50 out of your pocket for walk-in in most of Canadian clinics. BC MSP is only for those people who "LIVE" in BC, once you are not living in BC for longer than 6 months, the program will enlist you name.

We found that most residences in the Points are somewhat connected with Canada, families or jobs (as it's hard to find one in the Points). And most of them are dual, including us.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,780 times
Thinking of Pt Roberts for retirement but there are so many unknown factors. For example:

If you buy foods in Bellingham that are not allowed if purchased in Canada, do you need to declare them crossing either border? Do the same rules apply even if you are just transporting food from US to US? I'd like be able to make a weekly trip to the co-op and Trader Joe.

I've searched a lot and cannot find a definitive list of foods, only vague language about possible restrictions, and that the rules change frequently. Any advice?

I have an ATT wireless account and they said I could buy a desktop personal cell tower that would extend my range to Blaine and would give me 3G service in Pt Roberts. Has anyone tried this?

Old 04-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Lots of people drive down to Bellingham to shop at Costco, Walmart, and other places - the Coop, Trader Joe's, etc., Just save your receipts to show the border people at each border (Canadian, and then again at Point Roberts' US border). Foods purchased in the USA are allowed through the borders. Buying groceries in Canada is another thing, and you have to be able to show your receipts, plus not have any "not allowed" foods. The list changes from time to time, so in general I just avoid fresh vegetables and meat (seafood is allowed) and figure I'm pretty good. Someone else may like to chime in with a definitive list.

Naturally, liquor is in its usual separate category, and there are limits on what you can bring where - going both ways.

I don't know about the ATT cell tower - sounds interesting. Because of all the trees, I'd like to hear from someone who actually has something like that to see how well it would work. I don't know where their towers are on the "mainland." I do remember one time calling 999 because someone fell down on the beach, and instead of Point Roberts, I got Victoria, BC (the signal went across the water instead of heading inland about 500 meters).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington