Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 12,329 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Ft. Lewis soon. So I have been doing some reading on where to live and everyone seems to complain about traffic in the Seattle area. I suppose I won't really know until I get there and see for myself, but I was wondering if people could give me an idea of how long it really takes to get to Ft. Lewis?

I have friends and family who live in Seattle, so I'm hoping to find a place that's between Ft. Lewis and Seattle so that I will be closer them. I'm looking into the following areas:

- Puyallup
- North Tacoma
- South Tacoma
- Federal Way (is this out of the question?)

I would just look up the travel times on Mapquest but that doesn't take traffic into account, and with everyone saying that the traffic in the area being beyond comparison, I'd like to hear from people who actually live there.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 03:23 PM

392 posts, read 1,556,346 times
Lacey and Yelm are on the other side of Ft Lewis from Seattle. They're both South of Ft Lewis, and Seattle is well north. I think Federal Way would be a longer commute to Ft Lewis than you'd like. Traffic wouldn't be terrible, though. Realistically, normal traffic, Ft Lewis to Seattle is 40-45 min. (to downtown Seattle). Puyallup would be a decent option, but I've found their traffic to be pretty bad, and pretty limiting as there's only one way from Puyallup to Seattle and only one way from Puyallup to Ft. Lewis.
N Tacoma or Central Tacoma would be my choices. Nice neighborhoods, easy freeway access, short drive to Seattle and to Ft. Lewis.
South Tacoma is closer to Ft Lewis, further from Seattle, and tougher to find the nice neighborhoods. There are some nice ones, but there are some rough ones as well.
I think you'd be happy with North or Central Tacoma.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:15 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,472 times
Armypianist,
From Ft. Lewis to Tacoma will take you between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on how far you venture into town and away from I-5. From Ft. Lewis to Federal Way will be around 40-45 minutes and from Ft. Lewis to Puyallup is anywhere from 20-45 minutes, depending on the time of day. You might ant to consider the town of Fife if you're looking to live halfway between Seattle and Ft. Lewis. There are plenty of apartments, condos and new single family construction and it's an easy hop unto I-5.
Good luck with your move.
Sandy

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM

107 posts, read 402,566 times
Definitely take a look at north Tacoma. You can hop on SH 16 and take that down to 5. We live in University Place and can take a back route to the west gate (along the Steilacoom/Dupont Rd.) and it takes me 20 minutes to get to the gate. Depending on where your work is located, you'd be another 5-10 minutes away once you get in the gate.

Federal Way is not a terrible commute. But downtown Tacoma is always a snarl (both ways) during the rush hours. If your goal is to be closer to work than Seattle, I'd live in Tacoma. The saved time on the daily commute more than justifies the extra 15-20 (non-rush hour) minutes you get living farther north.

No matter what, keep in mind that I-5 is a disaster most days both ways.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times
Yea, the less I-5 you can do, the better....

Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 PM

86 posts, read 402,985 times
My husband made the daily commute from North Tacoma/ West end neighborhood to Fort Lewis when we lived there. We still have the house there in North Tacoma that we are selling or renting. All I can tell you is that we fell in love with the area since we had Point Defiance so close. We would go for runs there often. It was great..

I hope you stick with the North End...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM

17 posts, read 111,599 times
We live in Puyallup. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the Madigan gate from where we live. That is using the back roads. You never know what traffic will be like on Hwy 512 or I-5, so we avoid those.
Good luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 21,822 times
try dupont and lakewood areas

Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 35,583 times
I would surely stick with the southern direction. I'm not even sure Dupont has a "downtown" but it looks like something happening zooming by on I-5. Lacy is very nice and still has a small town feel, so far. South of Olympia is starting to develop so maybe Lacy won't get to crowded
Who wants to go through Tacoma and/or Seattle in rush hour? Everyday?

Gina

Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,129 times
If you are going to do Puyallup, stay close to the freeway and away from South Hill as the traffic can get really bad. I reccomend Olympia/Lacey or possibly Du Pont. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington