Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:06 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doickls View Post
Thank you all for the responses, I'm going to try and take them into consideration.

[cite]CrazyDonkey[/cite]

Man, that would be the smart thing to do? Wouldn't it? So, how would I go about that?
Is there a reason you couldn't get an AA degree at home, where you live? Why would you have to head out west to go to community college? If you leave your home state, you probably won't be able to attend community college for virtually free until you establish residency in WA. So you'd have to spend a year crashing in a shared household with roommates, working as a coffee barrista, or something. Which, in Seattle is a valid lifestyle for young people, but still--it could be very tight financially.

So, you need to figure out what kind of skills/trades you're interested in that are also in demand. Construction is something people fall back on, but it goes through boom and bust cycles, so it's no guarantee of employment UNLESS you take some engineering classes, as well. What about tech? Some friends of mine have kids who took 2 years of computer programming in community college, and immediately got very cushy jobs. One ended up doing the programming for the college he attended, as permanent staff!

Think about where your interests and talents like. Don't make any sudden moves. (I guess you have 1-1/2 years to go of HS, anyway, right? Lots of time to think this through.) Try spending the time you have left in HS exploring different fields. For example, take shop classes to see if you like construction/carpentry. You may find you don't have a knack for it at all. (It involves math.) Take whatever IT classes your school offers. Look for volunteer opportunities that would allow you to explore different fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:23 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doickls View Post
My plan for after I graduate from high school (I'm currently a Junior) is to move out to Washington, and join the workforce.
I assume that "join the workforce" is a code for "smoke all the weed I want".

Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 17,661 times
Landing a good job with only a HS diploma isn't impossible though. College education is a plus, but there comes a point when higher education becomes redundant without a clear career direction. Doickls, you haven't said what you'd like to do in the workforce. That would help determine what extra schooling you might need and where you might want to land in Washington.

If you're interested in being a farmer, then some schooling the agriculture and then moving to the Columbia basin in eastern WA would be a good bet. If you want to work in some techie job, then at least an associate's or better a bachelor's then move to the Bellevue-Redmond area. Bellevue is a nice city, but very expensive to live in. You will be renting at no less than $1,200 per month plus utilities.

Another possibility is getting a job at Boeing. They're currently hiring off the street with only a HS diploma as a requirement. Cost of living in the Everett area where they have their biggest plant is still expensive, but doable until you get a few years of seniority and build up a savings. Same thing with Microsoft, though they're not hiring at the same high rate that Boeing is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington