Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 8,410 times

Advertisements

Hello there! My husband and I have both always been drawn to the PNW, especially western Washington. The dreary, moist climate with not too hot summers and not too cold winters (we have both extremes where we are now). The proximity of the cascade mountains and non-beachy ocean mixed with the lush greenery is perfect! We have been trying to move out there for a few years now, but life has been a roller coaster and kept us grounded in the midwest Things are finally on the upswing and we're pretty sure the time is right! We're hoping to spend the next 9-12 months padding our savings and then pick up and go in the late summer/early fall of 2015. We are having some trouble deciding one where exactly to move though... That's where you come in!!! Any and all input is appreciated.

Ok, so here's the breakdown on us... We're in our mid-twenties with a soon-to-be four year old and and a 90lb Great Pyrenees (he's small for his breed). My husband LOVES mountains and backpacking. Right now the closest mountain is about 6 hrs away. Needless to say he's pretty unhappy about that. So, the closer the mountains are, the better. I, on the other hand, am a city girl at heart! while I also love hiking and the occasional weekend backpacking trip, I much prefer wandering the city seeing what new stuff I can get into. Also, my two best friends are living in Seattle, so I don't want to be more than 1-2 hrs away (would move to Seattle if we could afford the housing!). That way we can still visit fairly often and I can get my city fix. haha. My husband is a welder and I am a stay at home mom. we plan on homeschooling our daughter, so schools are not an issue. We are living downtown in a small city right now (50,000 pop.) about 45 min. from the state capital (roughly same size as Seattle). Ideally, we would like to find something similar in that way. I love being able to walk all kinds of places (library, local shops, post office, grocery store, park, etc.) from my house and feel safe doing it. We are looking to rent, not buy, and don't want to pay more than $800 a month. Not looking for something big, but a garage/shop is a must so my husband can use his tools and welding equipment.

So, now that you have a bit of a background on us, any input you have on where we should relocate would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,798 times
You got some decent advice in your other post about moving to West WA...cost is still going to be a major factor in where you can live here. I would really suggest your husband secure employment and then make your decision of where to live based on his wages and location of job.

Welder, wife, and child moving to Seattle next year? Can we afford it?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:11 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,575 times
For under $800 a month, it will be difficult to find a nice place in a downtown with walkability to many locations. The suggestions below are maybe unorthodox to some, but they are all located within 2 hours of Seattle and have walkable downtowns with various things to do and see, and close to mountains.

EVERETT
Everett, Washington

Everett is a port city with lots of job opportunities being right by Boeing, and tons of aerospace jobs. The city appears to be on the verge of a boom, with downtown experiencing tons of new condo developments. The downtown is easily walkable, with grocery stores on the edges of the downtown core, plus tons of restaurants and little shops in downtown. There is a performing arts theater and Xfinity Arena which holds sporting events, other events and concerts throughout the year. The weather is mild year round, and depending on your place you buy, you could have great water views. The downtown waterfront is being converted into a more park-like setting with condos coming soon as well. A summer Farmers Market and various events throughout the year make Everett a nice alternative to downtown Seattle, and much cheaper. Jetty Island is a great sandy beach that you get to by a free ferry, there are over 100 parks in Everett, and you are within 30 minutes of the Cascade Mountains. Lots of recreation here whether water or land. WSU is building a campus in Everett within a few years too for higher education.

A negative for Everett is the crime and types of people you may see downtown, but most of the time you will be fine. It would be worth a visit to check out before you move here of course.

BELLINGHAM
Bellingham, Washington

Located about 2 hours from Seattle, Bellingham is a smaller city of 85,000, and is the hub unto itself. A slower pace of life and a real "green" city filled to the brim with locals at the local cafes and markets. The city is really about the environmental movement and buying local. You can certainly feel it from the local grocery stores that dot the city. Downtown streets are alive and easily walkable along Railroad Avenue with many places to eat and small shops. Grocery stores are located all around the city. A new waterfront is in the works and there are many great walking trails around the city including at Lake Padden, or the city marina. Weather is harsher in Bellingham, with more clouds, more wind, and what feels like more rain. There isn't the traffic you get from other cities on my list either, heck there isn't really traffic. City has a good hospital and is a safe city to walk around in. Is home to Western Washington University.

Check out condos in Bellingham, or the neighborhood of Fairhaven which is like a Victorian downtown core away from downtown Bellingham, with it's own list of quirky shops and places to eat. Also a grocery store right in their city center.

TACOMA
Tacoma, Washington

While not as alive as the other town cores listed here, it is working on it. Crime is a problem in Tacoma, but there is a huge push to clean up the city, with many new condos being built. Downtown isn't known for it's catering to people living downtown, but that could start happening within the next decade or so as more developers choose to do condos downtown. Quirky neighborhoods are starting to sprout up such as Hilltop and the Stadium District.

Weather is slightly warmer here then Seattle, but still mild.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:25 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
I'd say look at Snohomish County - Everett, Marysville, Lake Stevens, Arlington, Monroe, Sultan, etc. Be prepared to up your housing budget to $1,000-1,200, however.

Lots of hiking, camping, and climbing out Highway 2/Steven's Pass, off the Mountain Loop Highway, and in North Cascades Nat. Park. Ferries can take you to Olympic Nat. Park (mountains, rain forests, and wilderness beaches), San Juan Islands, and Vancouver Island.

Plus, you're still within an hour or so of central Seattle for girl-pal get-togethers and city adventures.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 PM

15 posts, read 36,847 times
How about Olympia? Capital city, approximately the same size as the town you're in now. 1-2 hours from both Seattle & Portland. Short drive to Olympic National Park, a hiker's paradise. Probably one of the most affordable nice places to live in the PNW. Job market tends to be a little better too. My wife and I are in the midwest as well, and contemplating a move there in the next couple years.

See here for photos: Fall in downtown Olympia

Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times
I think outside of Olympia might have some lower cost rents, not so much in Olympia, Everett is my fav spot, but a nice apt, 2 bdrm, good area, will run over 1200 more or less. Tacoma would be the most affordable I think, but the rougher on the edges of all the choices. Bellingham is for the rich, but as far as renting, I don't know, but imagine it would not be cheap. Other possibilities are the Renton, Kent, Federal Way and Auburn areas, for lower rents.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 11-06-2014 at 09:24 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Like I said in your other post, the shipyards in Bremerton were hiring welders. You could try living in East Bremerton, Silverdale, Poulsbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington