Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,114 times

Advertisements

that racsim comment upsets me I am white married to ablack man with a mixedraced child we have not had to deal with raceism other than a few older people making oldschool comments the school my son attends has Many different races and mixed race kids there is Not much raceism there at all my sons own group of friends is white black hispanic and they are friends because of who they are they do NOt look at each other because of the color of their skin now grant it rasim happens everywhere but it is not that bad here at all I am sorry if you had to deal with it but dont tell people that it is so promenit here because YOU had a perrsonal problem with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 11,019 times
Default local government Hoquiam

My goodness so much negativity on here. I have lived all over the United States. I live in Hoquiam because its a small town which is what I prefer. Drugs are everywhere in this country and so are illegal aliens who do not speak english or if they do its very poor. I don't know of anywhere you can go that these problems do not exist. This is a depressed area for jobs, the market is not very good right now and I don't forsee it improving in the near or even distant future unless the State, County and City create some incentives for industry to come here. We have a few new residents who have come here from other larger areas who bring with them their views on how our county should be run and they express them loudly while the old timers and natives of the area are not paying attention. (The squeaky wheel gets the grease folks).
A lot of die hard environmentalists have moved here from other areas and are dead set on not seeing any new industry in this area. If any one out there would like to have their voices heard you can start by attending the local city council meetings every Monday evening 7:00 pm at city hall 8th street in Hoquiam. I wish more people would come and let their opinions and voices be heard pro and con. We need to do something about out of control local government spending its coming out of your pockets with promises of going up even more every year. Our incomes are not going up our budgets are very limited so I think it is way past time that our local government live with in a strictly controled budget also and stop the spending.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,019 times
Default local government Hoquiam

My goodness so much negativity on here. I have lived all over the United States. I live in Hoquiam because its a small town which is what I prefer. Drugs are everywhere in this country and so are illegal aliens who do not speak english or if they do its very poor. I don't know of anywhere you can go that these problems do not exist. This is a depressed area for jobs, the market is not very good right now and I don't forsee it improving in the near or even distant future unless the State, County and City create some incentives for industry to come here. We have a few new residents who have come here from other larger areas who bring with them their views on how our county should be run and they express them loudly while the old timers and natives of the area are not paying attention. (The squeaky wheel gets the grease folks).
A lot of die hard environmentalists have moved here from other areas and are dead set on not seeing any new industry in this area. If any one out there would like to have their voices heard you can start by attending the local city council meetings every Monday evening 7:00 pm at city hall 8th street in Hoquiam. I wish more people would come and let their opinions and voices be heard pro and con. We need to do something about out of control local government spending its coming out of your pockets with promises of going up even more every year. Our incomes are not going up our budgets are very limited so I think it is way past time that our local government live with in a strictly controled budget also and stop the spending.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 786 times
For the men are going to move to Aberdeen I want she has black obviously my children 2 boys are mixed are we going to have any problems with people there I hear I won't have any problems but read there will be is Aberdeen racist or are we going to have a good life there

Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbb93 View Post
For the men are going to move to Aberdeen I want she has black obviously my children 2 boys are mixed are we going to have any problems with people there I hear I won't have any problems but read there will be is Aberdeen racist or are we going to have a good life there
I can’t answer your question because it is unintelligible. Please try again.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 AM

672 posts, read 442,779 times
Ebonics, I'll translate= this is my first post under this username and I'm going to try and stir things up a bit while sitting in class.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
I grew up in Aberdeen-Hoquiam in the 1950's, when there was no shortages of trees, fish, clams, and, um, whores (another story, see below). Like any place, there are good and bad parts. Much of the crime and cheap houses are in the flats (floodplain). Much Better houses and less crime are on "the hill" to the north. Also look at Bel-Aire and Pilgrim Heights (north), Central Park (east), and Cosmopolis (south). Living at the South Beaches (Westport, Cohassett Beach, Grayland, North Cove, Tokeland) and the North Beaches (Ocean ttShores, Copalis Beach, Pacific Beach, Moclips) is also possible.

You're about 20 miles from Westport and Ocean Shores and less than 30 miles to most of the other beaches, about 45 miles to Lake Quinault, 75 miles from Kalaloch. 55 miles to Olympia, making commuting there possible. Grays Harbor has an excellent transit system that goes to all of the beaches, Lake Quinault, Montesano, Elma, and Olympia, making living without a car possible.

In the 1950's, Aberdeen had more whores than any other place on the West Coast, other than in Nevada. It was tolerated by the "city fathers", who owned and profited from the brothels and joints that catered to the "trade". One of the biggest buildings downtown was a whorehouse. It came about because of the large number of single men working in logging, milling, and fishing, as well as drawing from military bases (Pacific Beach, Westport, and even Fort Lewis) during and after WWII. Everyone pretended it wasn't there, although it was hard to not notice the "working girls" (wigged-out, rouged-out, blood-red lips/nails) - they and the town "housewives" even had separate shopping hours, so they wouldn't have to run into each other. It was all brought to a halt, however, when the mayor and the chief of police (both on the take) happened to be out of town at the same time (1958/59, I believe) - the deputy chief took it upon himself to raid the whorehouses, after which there was no more pretending. Economically, it was all downhill for the area from that point on, although downturns in the logging, milling, and fishing industries certainly also contributed.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 02-25-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-25-2018, 02:48 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Hoquiam Castle:

Lytle House (next door):

Aberdeen:

Old 02-25-2018, 05:12 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
I think I recognize the bottom one that was/is a bed and breakfast I stayed at once.

Also went to a neat Italian restaurant... tiny place, only a few tables. Don't remember the name. A local told us to go there... said "The sign will say it's closed, that's just to keep out the tourists so they don't get too busy... they're open!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington