Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 AM

735 posts, read 866,394 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting in my western WA home and watching snow flakes come floating down, after I've gone out and walked around my property several times just enjoying the weather and I'm really wondering if there is a town that gets reliable snow, is still on the western part of the Cascades and isn't too remote.

The last part is why I've ruled out Marblemount and Concrete. Leavenworth is more arid being on the other side of the mountains and I'm just now hearing about a town somewhere around Snoqualmie pass, but even though I've made the I90 trek a bunch of times I'm not recalling a town, though it could be one of those blink and miss it places.

Anyone know anything about those little towns along highway 2, like Gold Bar?

Schools are a non factor and as for jobs, just need internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 03:43 PM

175 posts, read 364,623 times
Roslyn is pretty near Snoqualmie pass, just east. Cle Elum too.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,226 posts, read 80,405,058 times
Even Gold Bar is only at 200' elevation. You could consider Easton, barely over Snoqualmie Pass, and a popular place for Seattle-area vacation cabins, but west of the mountains about the only area with reliable snow is on 410 going toward Crystal Mountain, Greenwater, WA. (75"/year). With about 100 people it's very small but very scenic along the river, and there is a great little coffee shop, and not far from shopping in Enumclaw.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks Yip and Hemlock!

I was in Roslyn not too long ago and I remembered seeing a lot of pines and lack of underbrush, which made it feel more arid then our wet western half of the state, though I really should go and check rainfall numbers. I got really excited at the idea of Greenwater, but then you said it wasn't far from Enumclaw......quick google search, yup it's likely in the path of a lahar, sure there are warning systems and we're all waiting for The Big One, so no place is truly safe, but as much as I love the snow, can't think of investing in an area with property value and resale problems.

Think I'm going to have to get my snow fix but taking mini vacations up to Easton and Roslyn during winter.

Rated your guy's posts and thanks again!

Old 01-05-2015, 04:18 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,259,728 times
I've been in Index, WA a bunch of times. It gets a lot of rain and snow there, and it's kind of beautiful, in a weird way. Over 100 inches of rain per year, over 50 inches of snow. Me? I'd take Roslyn over Index any day of the week. Sunshine in the winter is nice. Roslyn gets a lot more sunshine in the winter than Seattle, and way more than Index. But it doesn't get a lot of rain. It does get snowy. And it's a really fun town to hang out it.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM

I'm deep in the google search about Index, thanks Ira!

Yeah these gloomy winter days can be a bit much, which makes Roslyn seem all that much better, but I'm just worried about summer being too hot. Really I'm going to have spend time throughout the year in whatever area I'm thinking of relocating to (gotta love the micro climates that this state).

I really appreciate the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington