Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:08 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,311,932 times

Advertisements

Although, the map does confirm that a lot of liberals have piled into Winthrop, Twisp, and Omak areas.

Here is 4.5 acres near Omak, land (no house), barn, irrigation, for $90,000. No trees, however.

50 Duck Lake Rd, Omak, WA 98841 is For Sale - Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwssMiss View Post
CrazyDonkey thank you for taking the time to look up these properties. I have been spending so much time doing just that. What I have been looking at lately is mostly acreage with a barn, or just acreage. The old farmhouse would be wonderful, but it's very had to find a home cheap enough and not a total tear down. The land is the expensive part so most of our $ are going to go for that.

TrueTimbers talking like a pro, there are so many variables..my head is hurting! I am new at this with no prior experience except for the 3 hens I kept in my backyard (they went to a good home as we had to list our home, I had to "fix" my backyard prior to the sale. Plus it's not legal where I live yet, so not a selling point). There is so much to learn. I am reading about permaculture and hollistic practices for farming and raising my livestock. It is all so exciting and confusing. For one thing I grab I have 10 more questions popping up. And I have to figure out how to make money too...

I had read that the ratio is 1 animal unit/2 acres. So about 400 chickens (at roughly 5 lbs/chicken). I also read that you cannot expect to lower your grain consumption (or theirs more accurately) by more than 25-30% for pasture raised birds. Apparently they need the commercially prepared stuff for optimum production. Now when you mention 10 acres/400 birds, you mean that they are fully pasture raised, correct?

This is the rub...all my (very limited and newly acquired) knowledge is theoretical so I apologize if I am jumping at what you said like a starving tick

I agree about the vibes. I have been looking for that perfect, affordable, piece of land for a while now, but only trips to the area give you the full picture. Good land, yep, south facing, you bet, 10 acres, I hope! Golden toilets..not my thing.
Yo swiss.. Yet another direction to.wander.. Yes some.grains, but few needed. I have been mixing my own for 9 years. Go ask the swiss, go research humanity.for.the last several thousand years that did good.without "Purina"

Anyway, done right pasture with.lots of.bugs and kale one can do.chicken right. The meat.will be bright yellow with omega.3's. Eggs cadium orange.

Whole big world of rebellion against the system.

More.chickens per acre if the ground is good, and managed.well..

Read.some.of the.alternative stuff.. Good ole right winger Joe Salitins book. Is a good.primer.
http://www.amazon.com/Pastured-Poult.../dp/0963810901

Anyway..lots to learn..take your time..

Old 01-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Have you considered making goat cheese. Your Swiss, right? Goats will pretty much eat anything.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:34 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,255,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Although, the map does confirm that a lot of liberals have piled into Winthrop, Twisp, and Omak areas.

Here is 4.5 acres near Omak, land (no house), barn, irrigation, for $90,000. No trees, however.

CrazyDonkey, have you ever been to Omak? I will give you Twisp and Winthrop (my hometown, BTW) as sadly and slowly evolving to liberal, but Omak/Okanogan and the rest of eastern Okanogan County are easily some of the most conservative places in the state.

Just as Seattleites are moving to, and liberalizing, the "trendy" parts of Eastern WA like Twisp and Leavenworth, the "old hippy" contingent in places like Tonasket is slowly dying off - making it even more conservative.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Have you considered making goat cheese. Your Swiss, right? Goats will pretty much eat anything.
Ah....but remember garbage in equals garbage out! So sure goats can Survive on just about anything but the milk will be horrible. ( I know, I grew up with horrible goats milk, can not stand the stuff the smell of goat sends me running.) Lol

Sheep cheese is a pretty hot commodity. But I am biased. The eggs and sausage angle is a sweetheart. Especially since eggs that come from chickens that are actually pastured is a rare. Commodity..

Old 01-19-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Wow $$? For that?.. Looks like a view property with. CC &Rs and all. Even with cheap electricity I would not want to irrigate pasture . Quick way to go broke.. Also cheap land on the dry side will not have irrigation. No green grass and then you are buying food.

One idea for dry side orchard country would be to run chicken tractors in other peoples orchards. You provide free fertilizer, they provide the land..

IMO wet side is a.better fit.
Better off finding some acreage with areas that have zoning restrictions because they are lowlands. Wetlands, 100 year flood plains can be had cheap and make great pasture.

Oh, by the way chickens pasture well in forested areas that have an open floor. Lots of good bugs.

Here is cheaper in Laconner. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14...23352367_zpid/

Tons of this stuff too on the Olympic peninsula too.

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 01-19-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
4+ irrigated acres, Okanogan Irrigation District, Duck Lake Water Association for domestic, power on property, flat building area with barn.
So, it has irrigation, domestic water, power, and a barn. Yes, without the irrigation it would probably be worthless (shrubs, no trees). No septic. As to the suitability of the soil and what could be grown and/or raised on it, I'm no expert. Winthrop, Twisp, and Omak, and possibly Bellingham, would be the markets.

$90,000 is pretty much rock bottom - there is a cheaper property ($50,000/3.43 acres) with a barn in Appleton (near the Columbia Gorge and the Dalles), but there is no mention of water or power (or septic). It does have trees (evergreens). See: 5 Frontier Rd, Appleton, WA 98602 is For Sale - Zillow

The "cheaper" property in LaConner is actually $60,000 more expensive. While it has water, power, and septic, it looks to be inside the Swinomish Indian Reservation. No telling what was previously "cooked" in the trailer (I'd be a bit suspicious of the potted plants neatly arrayed in front).

Which merely underlines that finding land with a barn, no house, and services is a stretch. Even a teardown increases the chances that services will be available.

As to the conservatism of Omak, the census tract, which looks to include Omak, voted for gay marriage. Population has increased 25% since 1990 (4,000 to 5,000), which is probably due to in-migration, rather than natural increase. The largest minorities are Native Americans and Hispanics. The annual Art in the Park event attracted some 70 vendors this year. The notion that Omak is just farmers and cowboys seems a little outdated to me - most riders in the Stampede's controversial Suicide Race have been Native Americans.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,255,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Not really. Look at this map for the gay marriage bill R74. The darker the pink, the more who voted against it.

It was only the Seattle area and random pockets here and there that voted for it with a majority.
Quote:
As to the conservatism of Omak, the census tract, which looks to include Omak, voted for gay marriage. Population has increased 25% since 1990 (4,000 to 5,000), which is probably due to in-migration, rather than natural increase. The largest minorities are Native Americans and Hispanics. The annual Art in the Park event attracted some 70 vendors this year. The notion that Omak is just farmers and cowboys seems a little outdated to me - most riders in the Stampede's controversial Suicide Race have been Native Americans.
According to xboxmas' graph, that little strip of the "brightest pink" (i.e. most votes against gay marriage) in the middle of Okanogan county is the Okanogan Valley - which includes Omak. (If we're using that as a political yardstick, although I'm not sure that's a realistic way to measure political viewpoints. Seems a little simplistic to me.)

BTW, Omak has a rich history of Native American culture. Anyone who thinks that Omak is "just farmers and cowboys" knows nothing about that area.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently the map doesn't show up when quoted. But it's on page 3 of this thread.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 AM

34 posts, read 70,882 times
Salatin ...got "People this ain't normal" and am getting the pastured poultry one.

There is a gentleman from Quebec who is practicing permaculture in his orchard it's called Les Fermes Miracle by Stefan Sobkowiak. It's a wonderful (in the true meaning of the term) expression of a pure symbiotic relationship between plants, animal and insects. For a girl raised on the 7th floor of high rise building (yep Switzerland is not all snow capped mountains, idyllic pastures and yodeling) it is pure magic!

I am definitly getting goats, being Swiss it's practically a given. The only problem is that I cannot gag down either goat milk, cheese or anything produced by a goat (dead or alive). But they look so cute and they are such endearing animals.

I have noticed that properties in flood plains are definintly cheaper. However, I think it must be quite stressful to have the worry of taking care of your livestock with the risk of flooding hanging over you at the sight of heavy rain and all the debris that flooding brings. if anybody is dealing with this, I would be very interested to hear it.

Although there seem to be enough pockets of "liberalism" on the East of the Cascades, I think the West side offers a wider spread and more possibilities to be close to markets for our products.

One last thing, if I may, I have been considering counties close to the border as I am hoping to catch some French Canadian radio and TV stations. I am sure not too many of you have had this concern, but just in case, would any of you know if it's true or if I am kidding myself?

I cannot say enough how amazed I am at the feedback I am getting. There is so much info, again thank you very much. Got to check on all these links now ...

Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 AM

I would assume the capitol of BC would have some programs in French Canadian.

I can tell you for sure it is very easy to get stations out of Victoria. Nothing but 20 or 30 miles of water between the north shore of the Olympic peninsula and Vancouver island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington