Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

My sister used to live in Yakima. My impression was that the better neighborhoods were in west Yakima. It is no secret that there are Hispanic gangs there - S. 1st St. looks to be Nortenos turf, while 10th & Nob Hill looks to be in the middle of territory disputed by the Surenos and Nortenos:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...w.kjBMTtD7n47E

I'd say, if at all possible, avoid walking there alone at night. If cops are mistaking you for a prostitute or men in cars are trying to pick you up for a "date", you're probably on or near a "track".

If you occasionally miss the last bus, pay for a cab. If it happens more than occasionally, see if you can get your hours shifted, or find another job. Or see if you can get a ride home (contribute to the gas). If your family is keeping you there, see if they can help you finance a serviceable used car.

Carry pepper spray or mace in plain sight where you can quickly access it (key chain on your wrist, not on the bottom of your purse), if only to help you feel less vulnerable.

As to why, you answered the question yourself - "Wages low 32% poverty rate". Since Yakima is 50% white and 43% Hispanic, I'd guess that the poverty rate for Hispanics is much higher than 32%. Poverty breeds crime, drug-use, and violence. Income disparities cause racial enmity. You're from the area, so I'm not saying anything you don't already know. The "war on drugs" has only led to the expansion of the gangs, and the further economic decay of neighborhoods where they predominate.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-28-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Sad, I truly hope the OP can recover and find justice.

I live in Yakima briefly quite a while ago. Even back then, it seemed quite, ummmm, run down and is putting it mildly.

I have read that Yakima is a pretty big spot for gang-members......with that usually comes violence.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:07 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
I worked with someone who was from the tribe and said she moved from there for her kids & grandkids, but I did not know she was talking about the town, she lived on the rez.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:57 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
1. Not everyone knows about Yakima

2. The Washington forum, IMO, has very little useful & honest information & a strong anti-relocation vibe. People will move here, no matter what, so just share some info.

3. The forum is meant for personal, anecdotal info., but contributors get jumped. Why? People who read this can take it or leave it. It is not meant to be research-based.

4. I am transplant sensitive...so sorry I wasn't born here.

5. I am seriously in need of some sun.

6. There are posters on this forum who do not even live in this state (I can think of 2 off the top of my head) who contribute & do not have a clue what they are talking about. Live here before you advise.
I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with my post...

But if you're in need of some sun, Yakima bills itself as the "Palm Springs" of Washington. Perhaps a visit is in order.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Thanks for the heads up...a vacation traveler.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Whats your point? Do you want to try and fix it?
To give potential visitors or possible transplants a heads up. To get the word out.

If people keep quiet by injustices, crimes, and the like, they are questioned. "Why didn't you say something before?" If people do speak up, you get no shortage of people offended that someone shined a light on a negative aspect of a person, place, or thing. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with my post...

But if you're in need of some sun, Yakima bills itself as the "Palm Springs" of Washington. Perhaps a visit is in order.
Well, aren't you nice!!! WA native??

Old 01-29-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Well, aren't you nice!!! WA native??
One of the very few positives of Yakima is that they have better weather, good soil, it's an outdoor man's paradise and that its right in wine country. You probably could use a glass or two. Good stuff out there.

And nope, not a WA native and I am quite nice actually.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
To give potential visitors or possible transplants a heads up. To get the word out.

If people keep quiet by injustices, crimes, and the like, they are questioned. "Why didn't you say something before?" If people do speak up, you get no shortage of people offended that someone shined a light on a negative aspect of a person, place, or thing. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
Yakima is often referred as "Crackima", "Yaki-vegas", the "butt hole of WA", etc. It's not some down low secret that it's a dinky little town with serious problems and even on this forum, it's not as well regarded and people here advise either living in that small good sections or just outside of the town (like Selah).

Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

As to why, you answered the question yourself - "Wages low 32% poverty rate". Since Yakima is 50% white and 43% Hispanic, I'd guess that the poverty rate for Hispanics is much higher than 32%. Poverty breeds crime, drug-use, and violence. Income disparities cause racial enmity. You're from the area, so I'm not saying anything you don't already know. The "war on drugs" has only led to the expansion of the gangs, and the further economic decay of neighborhoods where they predominate.
Interesting, I always heard how the PNW was so "white". I live in So. Cal, and I'm used to a lot of hispanics. Has it always been very hispanic, or is there something that has attracted them there? Just wondering cause it's pretty far from the southern boarder.

To the OP, I'd move. I know probably easier said than done, but seriously, that place sounds pretty horrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington