Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 AM

13 posts, read 15,085 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I want to move soon after I graduate to either Oregon or Washington. I want to escape the hellish frozen wasteland that is Wisconsin.

Does anyone know if Oregon or Washington would be a better move, price wise, for a poor English grad? I'm ideally looking for low to moderate living costs and mild temps so I can bike all year round. An area without snow would be amazing. I love the outdoors so I'm looking for biking and hiking paths.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 06:45 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit-biker View Post
Hey all,

I want to move soon after I graduate to either Oregon or Washington. I want to escape the hellish frozen wasteland that is Wisconsin.

Does anyone know if Oregon or Washington would be a better move, price wise, for a poor English grad? I'm ideally looking for low to moderate living costs and mild temps so I can bike all year round. An area without snow would be amazing. I love the outdoors so I'm looking for biking and hiking paths.

Thanks.
English grad.. Why do you do that?!! I got two English grad nephews, one left the USA and wanders the dark recesses of 3rd world countries teaching English and writting.

The other escaped the right wing hellish frozen wasteland of Wisconsin and ended up in Portland, working the farm market world. I know several other intelligent young folks with no set path that landed in Portland and are happy.

Climate.wise for biking it is all good west of the cascades.

Sooo, I am going to say Oregon first. Check out Portland, good networking options for cheap housing. Lots of folks.just like you.

Seattle is more successful/professional.. Uptight/competitive. Though Smaller towns in western Washington would.work. But cheap shared housing and work would.be harder to find but not impossible.

In Washington Bellingham comes to mind.

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 02-15-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 AM

44 posts, read 73,511 times
Portland, buddy! That's where I'd be if I were young and starting out. Active, energetic, entertaining, diverse, lots of 20s and 30s, dog-friendly, great public transportation, and everybody's on a bicycle. My son lives there, he's 33 and in start-up mode. If you can get out there for a visit let me know, and I'll ask him to show you around. JM

Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
IF you can get a job here... Vancouver, WA (cheaper digs / no taxes on your income earned in WA, bike to Portland often.)

I would try to get a 'writer / research' position at Fisher Investments.
https://jobs-fishercareers.icims.com...50-14000-Camas

Look to live near Ft Vancouver Historical site (east side, variety of affordable housing and very close to EZ portland commute (Off Hours). I-5 is not the desirable commute route.

or... an inexpensive apartment in SE Portland (look in north Milwaukee (OREGON)) Can take a bus / train into Portland central

The international 'ESL' is not a bad tract. I have a friend who did it in 4 countries now does international business contracts and is based in Singapore. He draws about $250k salary as an English major, (that is unusual).

Find the job, then decide on residence (OR or WA). But I would look to Portland region (Bike friendly and mild temps).

Old 02-15-2015, 09:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Having lived in both states, I echo oregon, especially portland. although tacoma and olympia have a more working-class vibe than seattle - and are easier to bike around in.

But it seems to me that you wouldn't be unhappy in any of the larger left-coast cities, from eugene on north.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
English degree? That will qualify you to sit in coffee kiosk and sell cups of coffee to the drive through coffee drinking crowd. That doesn't pay enough to cover the expensive rent in Portland, or any other of the larger cities in Oregon.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I really appreciate the honesty and the information.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Another thought - I know portland has a youth hostel, if you need a very cheap place to stay while you explore. It's in a great neighborhood, too.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
English degree? That will qualify you to sit in coffee kiosk and sell cups of coffee to the drive through coffee drinking crowd. That doesn't pay enough to cover the expensive rent in Portland, or any other of the larger cities in Oregon.
Right now, I'm living in Madison, WI. Living isn't exactly cheap here either. However, I would consider a smaller town anywhere on the coast if I could find a job. Thanks for your honesty though.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
I'd say for your position, Portland is the better of the two evils.

As far as Seattle/Western Washington (but mostly Seattle):

IF you don't own a home here, or don't plan to, you will find it frustrating.
If you don't make at least $90k/year as a single person with no kids or $200k as a couple with no kids, or don't plan to, you will find it frustrating.
If you are a car owner, you will find it frustrating.
If you have kids you will find it frustrating.
If you have or plan to get pets you will find it frustrating.
If you like football but don't like the Seahawks or don't care that much about them, OR you're not so into football like a cult, you will find it frustrating.
If you don't smoke weed, you will find it frustrating.
If you don't like rain, you will find it frustrating.
If you don't like the sight of homeless, you will find it frustrating.
If you don't have TSA PreCheck, you will find the airport frustrating.
If you don't like Alaska Airlines, you will find the airport frustrating.
If you don't like tolls you will find it frustrating.
If you bank at a credit union other than BECU you will find it frustrating.
If you actually like walking into your credit union to perform transactions you will find it frustrating.
If you dislike ATMs that swallow your debit card while you use it rather than the insert and remove type, you will find it frustrating.
If you like real Greek food you will find it frustrating.
If you like real Italian food you will find it frustrating.
If you like real Mexican food you will find it frustrating.
If you like to stargaze you will find it frustrating.
If you hate potholes you will find it frustrating.

Other than that, it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington