Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,374 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a 30 year-old single guy from Atlanta, wanting to visit WA soon and eventually move there. I've always felt drawn to the region, and I've spent a few too many years here sticking around for no reason. I'm an experienced veterinary technician, so that would be the easiest way to find employment (although I'm just as interested in finding work doing other things). From what I gather, I would make in the neighborhood of about 30k as a tech there.

Coming from Atlanta, I would actually prefer living in a smaller city, and places like Bellingham, Olympia, Everett, Bremerton, Aberdeen, Port Angeles, Ellensburg, and Wenatchee have caught my eye. Obviously these towns are kinda all over the state, which is why I need help! Can't possibly visit them all. Just wanting some opinions on places like these, or if there are any really great mid-size or small cities I missed. The cheaper (cost of living) the better really, although I have a general sense of how that works up there (I've been poring over this site/forum for months).

I guess what I'm looking for are local opinions and expectations of what a guy like me might think of it (sorry if that's a lot to ask!). I guess my most realistic plan would be to visit a few towns up and down the I5 interstate? Or should I move there to live someplace temporarily and spend more time looking around? Obviously any trip on my salary would be a huge sacrifice monetarily when I would be better off using the money to move. I'm pretty dead-set on living there after narrowing it down to this one state over the past few months.

I'm not super into the nightlife/social scene, not that I avoid meeting people or don't love to go out to eat.
Liberal/Conservative leanings are not so important.
I'm really looking forward to exploring the outdoors, national parks of WA.
Would probably need to rent something in the 500-800 range.
I do own a car.
I am ready for the rain.

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone would be willing to give! I've searched around here a good bit, and I am really impressed at how helpful everyone is with this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,282,617 times
Why not apply for some jobs and see if you can snag one:

Healthcare Veterinary Technician Jobs in Washington

Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,893,083 times
You might want to consider the Spokane area as well for a lower cost of living. There's still a ton of nature and outside activities here, just not as much rain (except for this week!)

Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 PM

I am intrigued by Spokane for those same reasons, I guess I just want to be able to potentially visit places on the coast more frequently from less than a couple of hours away (Seattle, cascades, beaches). From here in GA, most good beach towns are at least a 5 hour drive away from the city, so I'm excited about being closer.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
With the exception of Aberdeen, all the places you mention are pretty decent places to live, economically and socially.

Aberdeen is, overall, a depressed and struggling town. Be sure to visit before you say yes to a job there. That said, it has some beautiful old buildings downtown and some beautiful neighborhoods. Definite possibilities, and you are young enough that you could take advantage of a town that has nowhere much to go except up.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
1) Why WA? (you will be asking yourself that a lot, so might as well pencil it out here for a reality check BEFORE the investment).
2) mid term goals? $30k is not gonna cut it for a family in WA if that is in your near future,

Vet tech for WHAT beasts???

cats / gerbils / cows / horses / kangaroos?

If large animals... Moses Lake area (center of state) Wenatchee is another great choice (I prefer to Ellenburg due to MUCH closer to Mtns and many more diverse activities).

Dairy cows and close to Canada... Lynden, WA (good choice, but not liberal, though would be a good 'training ground to understand the 'other' WA.

Like it warm? Walla Walla is a very nice community. Like a smaller place?... Waitsburg,

Small animal tech? (Pets), then go to a rich neighborhood (Work in Camas, WA and live 5 minutes away in MUCH lower cost Washougal). All the culture you need and tax free shopping 15 min away in Portland, Oregon. Lots of brew pubs. Wonderful Oregon Coast (100% public access) is 1 hr away. https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...w=1141&bih=682

If you prefer coffee brewers and high strung people, go north to Seattle metro. The tiny bit of accessible WA ocean coast is not at all close to Seattle.

A $200 preview trip might be money well spent. Buy a One Way on SWA and bring enough stuff to stay. You can always get enough stuff to live on Freecycle, and save $100 for a return ticket if the plan doesn't work out.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 PM

One of the issues is if you're focused on small to medium sized cities outside the central Puget Sound is that jobs are harder to come by and pay is lower, although the cost of living is also lower. Get a job offer first, then decide if you want to live there.

Aberdeen and Hoquiam are very close to the ocean beaches (about 20 miles to Westport or Ocean Shores). The economy is very depressed and there is a major meth problem there, however - more property than violent crime. It also gets a LOT of rain (over 80 inches). Still, the area is beautiful and you're not far from Long Beach, Lake Quinault, Kalaloch, the Hoh River, La Push, etc. The rent is CHEAP. I grew up in Aberdeen (5 to 13), so have a soft spot for the place.

Most of the jobs are going to be in the Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma, and Everett areas. Rents in the Tacoma and Everett areas are much LOWER than in the Seattle and Bellevue areas. There are beaches on Puget Sound, plus you're only an hour or two from a wide selection of wilderness trails (even from central Seattle) in the Cascades or Olympics.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 03-17-2015 at 10:20 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the great responses, and so quickly! This is already very helpful. I work only with dogs and cats, so you make a good point about "pet-friendly" neighborhoods, I should take that into consideration, although I am willing to live on the cheap to gain experience in other fields, I've done some retail work too, and I have experience as a manager in small business type-stuff. Honestly, I would like to move away from the veterinary field at some point soon, but until I find that opportunity, it is something for me to fall back on while relocating. Starting a family is not high on my list right now as a priority.

I also like what I've heard about Bellevue, except I got the impression it would be a little more expensive. I'm not looking to live extravagantly, I would only need a small place. I'm sure it's a good neighborhood for pets though, right? I don't mind living in a small apartment, but I like older, downtown-ish, more unique style places, not big apartment communities with pools and 6 parking lots and such.

Thank you again for your help!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:36 PM

For the cheapest digs in the Seattle-Bellevue area, there are micro-apartments in the International District (in downtown Seattle) available for $600 and under. They are converted hotel rooms, with living/sleeping room, bathroom/shower, refrigerator, sink, microwave, and cook-top (some have small stoves). You'll be a couple blocks from the ID/Pioneer Square light rail station. Being centrally located, you should be able to work anywhere in Seattle, as well as in many areas of Bellevue, without having a car. A new streetcar line will link you with Capitol Hill later this year, and light rail will be expand to Capitol Hill and the U District next year.

seattle apts/housing for rent "international district" - craigslist

Definitely fits your desire for "a small apartment...older, downtown-ish, more unique style places". If I were moving to Seattle on a shoestring, that's what I'd do - sell or dump everything I couldn't carry on my back (including the car), fly out, and stay at a hostel for a few days until I could nab an ID hotel/apt.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broylesw View Post
Hi all, I am a 30 year-old single guy from Atlanta, wanting to visit WA soon and eventually move there....
Coming from Atlanta, I would actually prefer living in a smaller city, and places like Bellingham, Olympia, Everett, Bremerton, Aberdeen, Port Angeles, Ellensburg, and Wenatchee have caught my eye. Obviously these towns are kinda all over the state, which is why I need help! Can't possibly visit them all. Just wanting some opinions on places like these, or if there are any really great mid-size or small cities I missed. The cheaper (cost of living) the better really, ...
I'm really looking forward to exploring the outdoors, national parks of WA.
Would probably need to rent something in the 500-800 range.
I do own a car.
Stick with the towns in bold. (to meet your objectives) Add Vancouver, WA Your choice is very dependent on your weather / access to coast / jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broylesw View Post
I also like what I've heard about Bellevue, except I got the impression it would be a little more expensive. ...

Bellevue is very nice, but contrary to your objectives (Small town, close to outdoor recreation / National Parks and inexpensive). Anything in Seattle metro is very expensive (due to wages / desire to live in city).

Since you are coming from BIG metro... give a try on the smaller towns above. Now is opportune time for you determine some preferences. It doesn't get easier as you age / gain responsibility. Most of us were STUCK by age 30 and nose to the grindstone to make ends meet and keep family happy & fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington