Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:54 PM

60 posts, read 86,870 times

Advertisements

Hi all, So my husband has been looking at this area to move to. He lived in WA when he was a child so he has been here and we believe we are prepared for the weather part of the whole thing ( we lived in WI and the winters are bone chilling and grey.) But we love rain Anyway here goes, He works in Insurance and is licensed there and has done some research, he seems to have found plenty of jobs and from what I have taken from my research is there are in fact jobs. LOL
But I would really appreciate some feedback from people there and can really give me some feedback.

Here's what you need to know. We need a house at least 4bdrms. a garage, or shed and a fenced back yard that allows pets is a necessity. We will have his parents and children with us and will need the room. I am opened to homes outside the city, actually expect it.
I would like to know the crime rate in said area's.
Price I should expect for homes large enough.
We are ok with renting for the time being so rentals are fine.

The breakdown,

Jobs
Distance to said jobs
Crime
Price of rentals in the Seattle/Renton/Tacoma or outside area's. Probably outside areas.
What's the humidity like there, is it uncomfortable during winter or summer?
How's the organic produce availability? I assume obtainable but I would like to know from locals.

We will of course need to visit the place but I thought I would get some input in the meantime.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:02 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
What's your housing budget (rent/buy)? That'll have a LOT to do with where. Where he and you work is also very important, in that traffic in the central Puget Sound region is murderous.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 PM

60 posts, read 86,870 times
Rent budget is around 2000$/mo
Also, food prices? And average gas price.

Last edited by Friesncatsup; 03-18-2015 at 12:23 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesncatsup View Post
Hi all, So my husband has been looking at this area to move to. He lived in WA when he was a child so he has been here and we believe we are prepared for the weather part of the whole thing ( we lived in WI and the winters are bone chilling and grey.) But we love rain
Definitely visit before you take the plunge. The Seattle/Tacoma metro area changed ALOT over the past 30 years. Between Microsoft, Amazon, etc. the area grew in population much faster than the infrastructure. If your husband grew up there in the '70s or '80s, he will not recognize it now.

Quote:
Here's what you need to know. We need a house at least 4bdrms. a garage, or shed and a fenced back yard that allows pets is a necessity. We will have his parents and children with us and will need the room. I am opened to homes outside the city, actually expect it.
You will have a VERY hard time finding that in the city unless you are wealthy. If you want a 4BR house with a fenced yard, expect to live in one of the distant suburbs or in the 'hood.

Quote:
I would like to know the crime rate in said area's.
Crime is bad. It's not Detroit or Miami bad, but it is bad. Street gangs and other organized crime elements moved to the area in force in the late '80s, and by the time law enforcement realized they had a serious problem on their hands, it was too late to do anything about it. Locals often refer to Tacoma as "Tacompton" for a reason. Large parts of Seattle are not much better.

We lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for about 10 years. We moved 4 times and could never find a decent neighborhood. Our first place, the college dropouts downstairs were dealing drugs in the building. Same deal at the next place, combined with a local "safe house" for the Russian mafia right next to the local playground. Weekend parties with naked prostitutes on the balconies, and they had management so scared that they wouldn't do anything about it. So then we got stupid and decided to try to buy a house in what we thought was a decent neighborhood. Sure looked like it by all appearances. But it turned out the lady across the street had a nephew in the Crips who used her place as a local drug emporium. Her kids had been kicked out of the local schools so hung out with the local gangbangers all day and night, with the frequent burglaries and occasional drive-bys.

In short: If you can afford to live in an affluent neighborhood, Seattle can be a great place to live. If you're trying to survive on a middle class to lower income, you'll be in the 'hood.

And if you're working in the city, you won't want to live too far out, or you'll be spending 3-4 hours commuting every day. Traffic is some of the worst in the nation. I had an 18 mile commute, and on a good day I could do it in 40 minutes one way. Most days it was closer to an hour one way. More than a few times, it was almost 2 hours one way. To go 18 miles. I was spending more of my life looking at tail lights than my kids.

Quote:
What's the humidity like there, is it uncomfortable during winter or summer?
Humidity is not an issue at all. That really surprised me, considering how coastal it is. But there is almost no muggy humidity like you have in the Midwest or the East Coast. And other than some truly gargantuan spiders, bugs aren't really an issue either. I was genuinely shocked at how few flies, mosquitoes, etc. there were in the area, considering the lush climate.

The Puget Sound area has basically 2 seasons. There is summer, which usually kicks in around late June or early July. It gets really hot and the rain goes away. Sounds nice at first, except you have to consider that very few homes have air conditioning, and in many neighborhoods it is unsafe to leave your windows open while you sleep, so it can be pretty miserable. Summer usually ends around early September, when it gets gray and rainy again.

The rest of the year, it is gray and wet. But rarely true heavy rain. Living in Seattle is more like living inside a really wet sneeze for 8 months of the year.

The area will OCCASIONALLY get snow. It is very rare, but when it does happen, it cripples the city. Literally. They just aren't prepared for it. Get 4 inches of snow, and consider all roads impassable for at least 3 days.

Quote:
How's the organic produce availability? I assume obtainable but I would like to know from locals.
Availability is great. But like everywhere else, more expensive.

I certainly don't know what you're looking for in terms of lifestyle. One person's paradise is another person's perdition. But as someone who lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for over 10 years and who has been to Wisconsin, I would advise you to stay in Wisconsin. It's a much more family-friendly place.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 8,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Definitely visit before you take the plunge. The Seattle/Tacoma metro area changed ALOT over the past 30 years. Between Microsoft, Amazon, etc. the area grew in population much faster than the infrastructure. If your husband grew up there in the '70s or '80s, he will not recognize it now.

You will have a VERY hard time finding that in the city unless you are wealthy. If you want a 4BR house with a fenced yard, expect to live in one of the distant suburbs or in the 'hood.

Crime is bad. It's not Detroit or Miami bad, but it is bad. Street gangs and other organized crime elements moved to the area in force in the late '80s, and by the time law enforcement realized they had a serious problem on their hands, it was too late to do anything about it. Locals often refer to Tacoma as "Tacompton" for a reason. Large parts of Seattle are not much better.

We lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for about 10 years. We moved 4 times and could never find a decent neighborhood. Our first place, the college dropouts downstairs were dealing drugs in the building. Same deal at the next place, combined with a local "safe house" for the Russian mafia right next to the local playground. Weekend parties with naked prostitutes on the balconies, and they had management so scared that they wouldn't do anything about it. So then we got stupid and decided to try to buy a house in what we thought was a decent neighborhood. Sure looked like it by all appearances. But it turned out the lady across the street had a nephew in the Crips who used her place as a local drug emporium. Her kids had been kicked out of the local schools so hung out with the local gangbangers all day and night, with the frequent burglaries and occasional drive-bys.

In short: If you can afford to live in an affluent neighborhood, Seattle can be a great place to live. If you're trying to survive on a middle class to lower income, you'll be in the 'hood.
Well, that's discouraging. My partner and I were hoping to buy a small house in Renton, but considering how close it is to SeaTac, Tacoma and these other bad/decling areas would you recommend against it? Working in Seattle is not a must, maybe Auburn or Kent.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas-thun View Post
Well, that's discouraging. My partner and I were hoping to buy a small house in Renton, but considering how close it is to SeaTac, Tacoma and these other bad/decling areas would you recommend against it? Working in Seattle is not a must, maybe Auburn or Kent.
I worked in Renton. I would never live there. Nor Kent. Kent is kind of the local joke of the entire region for being a skanky place. And it seems to pop up in the weirdest places. We used to joke around that if we were ever lost in a scary place, there was a 9 in 10 chance we were in Kent.

If you're looking in that basic area, I'd recommend Issaquah. It isn't without its problems, and it is more expensive, but it seems to be one of the more family-friendly suburbs.

If you're hoping to move to find a nice community to raise your kids, I really recommend you visit before taking the plunge. Having visited Wisconsin and lived in Washington, I think Wisconsin is a far better place to raise your kids. Seattle/Tacoma has basically become a wetter version of Oakland with more yuppies and hipsters.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM

590 posts, read 714,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I worked in Renton. I would never live there. Nor Kent. Kent is kind of the local joke of the entire region for being a skanky place. And it seems to pop up in the weirdest places. We used to joke around that if we were ever lost in a scary place, there was a 9 in 10 chance we were in Kent.

If you're looking in that basic area, I'd recommend Issaquah. It isn't without its problems, and it is more expensive, but it seems to be one of the more family-friendly suburbs.

If you're hoping to move to find a nice community to raise your kids, I really recommend you visit before taking the plunge. Having visited Wisconsin and lived in Washington, I think Wisconsin is a far better place to raise your kids. Seattle/Tacoma has basically become a wetter version of Oakland with more yuppies and hipsters.

YEP!!! this is very true. Which is why I am moving my wife and our 3 kids out in the middle of nowhere over in eastern WA. I live in Puyallup and the surrounding areas are full of trashy people. Nope not sorry for saying it, cause its true....straight up hood mentality around here. Were done with that

Old 03-31-2015, 06:45 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
crf450ish - you'll like eastern Washington. It's a whole different ballgame over here.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM

590 posts, read 714,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
crf450ish - you'll like eastern Washington. It's a whole different ballgame over here.
I know thats why Ive always wanted to move over there. better weather cooler people more laid back culture for the most part...its the vitamin D

Old 03-31-2015, 11:12 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Really pretty much straight-up the truth. Vitamin D and less webbiness of though feet, chap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington