Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

Well, at least I now know that there are still some real, live people lurking on this forum! Yay, Washington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
The things I have trouble with is not consuming alcohol, not lusting after women(like really?I'm a man...) and other little dont do's and do's. Its irritating.
Just an FYI...the Bible doesn't forbid drinking alcohol. It forbids getting drunk. And cautions that alcohol can easily become a problem for some folks. What does the Bible say about ALCOHOL or WINE?

There is scripture that can be found to support many restrictions but also scripture to refute them. The key is to understand scripture in the context it was written...not an easy task and one that can easily take a lifetime of study and reflection.

And aren't we fortunate that His mercies start fresh every morning?

Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.
Lamentations 3:23

Old 03-31-2015, 06:22 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
One of the many reasons I moved to Western Washington from Tennessee was to get away from people who want to force their religious beliefs on everyone else. So far, the few religious people I've met here have been awesome about their beliefs and we've been able to have some very level-headed and understanding conversations. It's nice to finally get to be myself around people.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
You're in one beautiful spot of Washington state to worship the One who made everything, Lamplight. Your pictures are awesome!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 PM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
One of the many reasons I moved to Western Washington from Tennessee was to get away from people who want to force their religious beliefs on everyone else. So far, the few religious people I've met here have been awesome about their beliefs and we've been able to have some very level-headed and understanding conversations. It's nice to finally get to be myself around people.

I've heard about the culture in the bible belt. "The devil will get you if you do this or that". Wow, what a way to win someone over to your beliefs...by telling them that the devil will get them. That must be about as effective as telling a child to clean their room or the boogey monster under their bed will eat all their toys...

Old 03-31-2015, 07:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Another of the 30%.

If someone brings up the bible to me, as the compelling reason to do or not do something, they will get short shrift.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:07 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Or, they'll be forced ta listen to one hour of Mariah Carey music at number 10 volume. Now that would truly be tortuous.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I've heard about the culture in the bible belt. "The devil will get you if you do this or that". Wow, what a way to win someone over to your beliefs...by telling them that the devil will get them. That must be about as effective as telling a child to clean their room or the boogey monster under their bed will eat all their toys...
Yep, it kind of turns you off...for the rest of your life! (shudders from the memories...)

Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 PM

590 posts, read 714,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Yep, it kind of turns you off...for the rest of your life! (shudders from the memories...)
I mean I do believe in god and the bible and so forth, but I dont think its an automatic death sentence if you aren't religious your whole life. The entire christian faith is based around the fact that jesus christ died on the cross for our sins..and forgiveness is available, all you gotta do is ask. I've never been exposed to the while idea of the "devil coming after me". That is a very extremist ideology. I'm not one to push my beliefs on people, however If I do bring it up to someone and they express interest I will continue talking about it, if they dont want to hear about it, I'll be quiet. I mean I don't want to hear about something I have no interest in. I understand the feeling can be mutual. I worst thing to do when trying to "win" someone over to your beliefs is to be forceful, that has the opposite of effect.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:15 AM

292 posts, read 1,448,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post

"6 Let beer be for those who are perishing,
wine for those who are in anguish!
7 Let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more."
I love this verse. People don't realize that the concept of eat, drink and be merry is right in the book of Ecclesiastes 8:15

So, OP, yes, I go to church and follow Jesus. My favorite verses are Micah 6:8:
"what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

And Matthew 22:36-40: "Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I love how Jesus had a way of cutting through the b.s. and getting to the point.

So yeah, I follow Jesus all the way to compassion, forgiveness, grace, mercy, and love. Especially for the groups Jesus kept mentioning, like the oppressed, the poor, the immigrant, the minority and the marginalized who don't quite fit in. I pray for peace, equality and justice for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington