U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:28 PM

2,583 posts, read 1,340,966 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Idaho about 50-55 years ago and if I remember right, the state only had a sales tax back then. After I left they created a state income tax with the idea/promise of repealing the sales tax, but I believe they never did. Also there was a state permanent building fund that was suppose to expire after a certain time...I believe it never went away.
California also has both a state income tax and a sale tax with very high property taxes.

Washington has pushed for a state income tax for years with the promise of reducing the sale tax..we all know how long that would last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:23 PM

6,564 posts, read 11,859,184 times
They definitely didn't repeal Idaho's sales tax; your belief is correct. Idaho has higher taxes than WA and OR, except where it comes to property tax, where the situation is very favorable to homeowners. I'm about to move to Aloverton, where my annual property tax bill will triple even though I'm only buying half again as much house dollarwise.

California's pretty much the poster child for tax and tax. I remember long ago, when Cooley took over Seafirst, how he basically sneered at WA and told it to grow up, it needed both sales and income taxes. He did not understand that 'this is the way we do it in California' was pretty much the least persuasive sentence ever in any part of ID, OR, or WA.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,732 posts, read 37,347,611 times
Washington State Income Tax

Consider one of the US Protectorates, That is where my friends with revenue generating internet businesses domicile.

Insular area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe after the 'Big Quake', WA can become an insular possession!
This would save making 10 zillion new 51 state flags and about than same number new 'gov jobs' required to sustain the hog trough of We_tern WA State workers. (presuming Eastern WA remains attached and part of the lower 48)

As mentioned... your actual tax rate @$50k gross should be much lower than 25%.

I am usually @ 5-7% Federal taxes when the 50 pages of my federal return are 'tweaked' for filing. It helps to SPEND $14,400 on WA property taxes (Spend $14k to save <10% on taxes...).

Same with mortgage deduction. THAT fallacy is only good for realtors, title insurance (?) companies, and bankers... they LOVE you to get saddled with Mortgage and property transfer obligations! It feeds their young (so we can have MORE realtors, politicians, lawyers, bankers... good gig!). Almost like getting tenure at a state U!!! (working (?) 8 month / yr)

Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,372,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Might be a dumb question, but I know Washington is among 7 states that don't have a state income tax. So does that mean that Washingtonians still need to pay federal income tax?
For example, if my salary was 50k a year, I would still need to pay 25% federal income tax in that bracket, but without any additional 8-10 percent state income tax?
I tried looking online but couldn't find a comfortable answer.
Thank you.
Don't worry, they stick it to you a lot of different ways in Washington, to make up for no state income tax. But, it still beats a lot of other places.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 PM

678 posts, read 614,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Don't worry, they stick it to you a lot of different ways in Washington, to make up for no state income tax. But, it still beats a lot of other places.
Good to know. I want to move to Seattle sooo bad after constantly hearing about how strong the job market is there, and how considering the fact that I already love the city itself, the strong job market is just the comfortable icing on the cake for me.
However, I'm still a little worried about all the competition.....
Ugh, exhausted thinking about it.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,075,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
If the Democrats have their way, Washington will be sticking to us in a lot of different ways AND with a state income tax soon enough.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 AM

2,583 posts, read 1,340,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
If the Democrats have their way, Washington will be sticking to us in a lot of different ways AND with a state income tax soon enough.
Not without a vote by the people they won't...I believe the democrats have tried to sugar coat this numerous times in the past and failed.

Government at all levels doesn't need more revenue they need to spend wisely what they get now.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:06 AM

726 posts, read 486,322 times
"Government at all levels doesn't need more revenue they need to spend wisely what they get now."

Yes rantiquity, I thoroughly agree!! Nothing irks me more than being forced to hand over my hard-earned money with which I am very careful, to a bunch of egotistic money grubbers who will waste it & do so very quickly!!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:30 AM

7,716 posts, read 7,500,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
"Government at all levels doesn't need more revenue they need to spend wisely what they get now."

Yes rantiquity, I thoroughly agree!! Nothing irks me more than being forced to hand over my hard-earned money with which I am very careful, to a bunch of egotistic money grubbers who will waste it & do so very quickly!!
Absolutely. I really hate all of the public roads, fire departments, education, police departments, and similar things. Much better to be in an inaccessible wood lot picking fleas off of my butt.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:52 AM

72,393 posts, read 63,844,050 times
Federal income tax is federal. It has nothing to do with the states, with where one resides. That's what "federal" means.

Strange question, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or