U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM

22 posts, read 57,934 times
Default Looking for apartments in Mukilteo or nearby

Hello all!

My husband is being transferred to Boeing (Everett) for 2-3 years so we are looking for a 3 bedroom apartment or home to rent. Schools and safety are a huge concern as we have 2 daughters ages 11 and 15. Right now, we're seriously looking at Mukilteo thanks to all the posts I've read. However, it seems that the "nicer" apartment complexes are rated rather poorly as far as safety goes. Right now, I'm considering Archstone of Harbour Point. Any areas nearby within 20 minute commute for my husband could be considered. I've read that there are some nice areas in Everett. As I am a teacher, I know that "excellent" schools are tied in with involved, caring parents so that's the type of community we are looking for. I would so appreciate any input you all could share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,206,198 times
Hi, cassjho. Have you looked up the Mukilteo Beacon, the Everett Herald, and Craigslist? They should give you a pretty full picture for Mukilteo.

Have you considered the towns of Snohomish, and Lake Stevens? Googling will give you lots of info. Snohomish is a lovely community with good schools, and the commute for your husband would be within your time frame. There are also Mill Creek and Bothell, both of which would be away from Interstate-5 and are largely family-oriented communities also. The Everett Herald would basically cover all of these areas.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 AM

143 posts, read 540,812 times
I agree with allforcats. We used to live in Snohomish, near Mill Creek and Bothell. Many of our neighbors worked for Boeing and it was an easy commute. Look into the neighborhoods off of 128th, such as Silver Firs, The Falls, and Gold Creek. There are some others right around there as well. The fairly new Willis Tucker Park is fantastic. Our kids went to Totem Falls Elementary and Valley View Middle School before we moved, and we were very pleased. Friends still there are happy with Snohomish High, and then there is a brand new high school opening nearby this fall.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Thank you both for your quick replies. You've given me a better understanding of which places are actually "near-by" as far as driving, not distance. Even after reading and rereading pertinent posts, I'm a bit confused by highways and such. Some areas seem close mile-wise and yet suffer terrible traffic congestion while others seem to have easier-to- commute back roads. I did check out Lake Stevens but other posts have talked down the schools. I will now look into Snohomish; for some reason I thought it would be too long a commute. Again, thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Hello again. I've been looking up info on these areas and I do like both Snohomish (town) and Silver Firs. I believe Gateway Middle serves Silver Firs, but is the high school Henry M. Jackson? Both are highly rated with GreatSchools but parent reviews are dated. Are these good schools?? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 PM

143 posts, read 540,812 times
Yes, Gateway is right in Silver Firs. I don't know anyone that goes there, but the "word" around my old neighborhood is that it is good. The high school, Jackson, is good.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,206,198 times
I used to own a home in Silver Firs. Parts of that area are still quite rural and wonderful. Wait'll you see the Beefalo farm!! There's also a sheep ranch with sheep the size of VW Beetles!

Both Snohomish and Silver Firs are very family-oriented.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Thank you both for your info and sugggestions. Things are moving quickly here and my husband may be heading for Boeing in March or April. As we currently live in Spain, it is impossible to check out the area in advance. All my family live in the south so I am depending on word of mouth of those who truly know. I know what I like but in this case I won't be able to join hubby until end of current school year. I'll have him check out rental houses in Silver Fir or Snohomish first. If nothing pans out, we will then have to consider apartment complexes in Mukilteo. Does anyone know anything about Archstone of Harbour Pointe? Apartment ratings are 50/50-either it's fantastic or it's horrible. Again, thanks for the prompt, useful advice!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassjho View Post
Thank you both for your info and sugggestions. Things are moving quickly here and my husband may be heading for Boeing in March or April. As we currently live in Spain, it is impossible to check out the area in advance. All my family live in the south so I am depending on word of mouth of those who truly know. I know what I like but in this case I won't be able to join hubby until end of current school year. I'll have him check out rental houses in Silver Fir or Snohomish first. If nothing pans out, we will then have to consider apartment complexes in Mukilteo. Does anyone know anything about Archstone of Harbour Pointe? Apartment ratings are 50/50-either it's fantastic or it's horrible. Again, thanks for the prompt, useful advice!
Hi! My wfe and I own a townhouse in Mukilteo on Harbour Pointe Blvd at the Nantucket condos. We both work at boeing (I'm direct and she's a contractor) so we commute the short 3 miles to work and get a "carpool" parking pass to park inside the gates. Mukilteo still has TONS of growth opportunity. The city is going to be spending millions of dollars developing a new town center. In the old town center they are creating a huge park. In addition, they are putting in a train stop that goes straight to Seattle. You might not know this, but Seattle has no public trasit (other than the bus system). They have already started this project, which I exect to increase my property value exponentially in the next few years. By car, we can be sitting under the space needle in 30 minutes (only about 13 minuts from northgate, which is the northern parts of seatle).

Ok, so.....back on track. You want to know about appartments. I have two friends that have lived in the Bella Terra; they seem to really like it. I also have friends that live at Millington At Merrill Creek; they really like it too. Search for them on google. Both are very close to Boeing. Let me know if you need any help.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Thank you yjeep93! It sounds like Mukilteo is going "European" with all its upgrades. I have found public transport in most places in the U.S. to be quite difficult (I've never lived in huge cities but still Atlanta, Orlando to name a few) so we are planning on purchasing second-hand cars. Since traffic appears to be a real mess, I've been seriously considering Mukilteo. It sounds lovely but so out of our budget since I can't job search until this summer when I join hubby. Bella Terra seems gorgeous but too pricey for now. Archstone and Baycourt in Harbour Pointe both are within price range but reviews are iffy especially for Baycourt. The schools are fantastic and location too but ... I'll check out Millington again since your friends recommend it. We can't even consider buying anything as we're keeping our house in Spain. Oh well. Everything in Seattle area is dreadfully overpriced right now, just like Madrid. Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington