Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM

36 posts, read 140,277 times

Advertisements

i asked a realtor about everett. he told me some good areas to look at were

Marysville
Lynnwood
mukilteo
snohomish
lake stevens

i have also read on this forum that gold bar is very nice.

does anyone have any more info about any of these places? what would be a nice place for a family with 3 kids in elementary school to reside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,687,496 times
Either Mukilteo or Snohomish would be good all-around choices for a family.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM

255 posts, read 1,194,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNomad View Post
i asked a realtor about everett. he told me some good areas to look at were

Marysville
Lynnwood
mukilteo
snohomish
lake stevens

i have also read on this forum that gold bar is very nice.

does anyone have any more info about any of these places? what would be a nice place for a family with 3 kids in elementary school to reside?
It totally depends on where you've come from, what you're looking for where you're going, where you're going to be working, what you can afford and the kind of lifestyle you have in mind. I wouldn't look at Gold Bar if you're going to be working for Boeing. You may as well live at your jobsite. Gold Bar is further out from Monroe. Highway 2 through Monroe is a 2 lane road and horrible for commuting. On the other hand, if money is not an issue, then Mukilteo would work. If you want something a little further out, then Snohomish. Again, you're going to face that rush hour traffic. But if you're going to Snohomish, then you'll probably drive through Mill Creek and part of Bothell which are really nice areas if you're looking to live where it's reasonably big and busy. Part of East Everett abuts Lake Stevens which is also very nice. The further out you go from Everett, the quieter life becomes.

If you're thinking of anything east of I-5, i.e. Lake Stevens, Monroe, Gold Bar, Sultan etc. you have to think about the commute and the trestle (Highway 2) which comes to a stop in rush hour. If you move to Lake Stevens, I would suggest detouring via Marysville and avoid the trestle at all costs.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM

143 posts, read 808,938 times
We used to live in Snohomish and were very pleased. We were not in the downtown area, but rather up near Mill Creek and Bothell. Totem Falls Elementary was very good, and we thoroughly enjoyed the neighborhood right there. Very family friendly, nice homes, and good location with good schools.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:06 PM

22 posts, read 89,610 times
I'm also looking into these areas and was recommended to look into Snohomish near Mill Creek and Bothell as well. Would rush hour traffic be that awful for my husband as he will be working at Boeing? I, too, need good schools (middle, high school) and want a nice community feel. However, we would be renting, not buying. Are there nice apartments in this area? I will be checking out rental houses as well.
Thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM

143 posts, read 808,938 times
No, rush hour is not bad. My husband was stationed at the Everett base, which is nearby, so made a similar commute. The schools are very good. The Silver Firs schools are in the Everett district, but the Falls, Gold Creek, and the other neighborhoods are in the Snohomish district. Silver Firs has quite a few rental homes, the Falls has a couple, and there are very few in Gold Creek. There are not many apts in this area, but there are some condos that might be an option for you. I would definitely look for a rental home though since the neighborhoods are excellent.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM

22 posts, read 89,610 times
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely check out the areas you mentioned.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,669 times
Marysville has O.K. schools, lots of shopping, lots of "affordable" homes

Lynnwood has good schools, tons of shopping, lots of traffic, and some "affordable" homes

Mukilteo has good schools, a very nice downtown area with cute gift shops, etc., some gorgeous view of the Puget Sound & the Olympic Mountains

Snohomish has good schools, in addition to grocery stores, etc. also has a charming downtown area of antique shops. Out of town, there are subdivisions & homes on acreage.

Lake Stevens surrounds the large beautiful lake. The schools are pretty good. It is a short commute to Everett. Views of the lake & the mountains are pretty, but often obstructed by the many homes built around the lake.

Gold Bar is a growing community. A lot of people seem to be discovering it lately. I think that the low price of homes has a large part to do with this. However, it has gorgeous views of the mountains. It's still a small community in a small school district. There's pros & cons with smaller schools.

Good luck,
Barbara

Old 01-19-2008, 10:58 PM

11 posts, read 52,195 times
It seems like some of the areas you are thinking of are way out there. There is absolutely no reason to live in Gold Bar & work at Boeing, unless you want to spend several hours a day in a car, ugh. Check out Mill Creek Elementary, it's a wonderful school & the homes are affordable, can choose from new or used nearby. Quaint neighborhoods, good investment.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,040,442 times
Marysville
Lynnwood
mukilteo
snohomish
lake stevens

- Other than Mukilteo, and maybe Lake Stevens, I wouldn't put my kids in any of these other school districts, if I had another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington