U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM
 
Location: SC
8,382 posts, read 5,005,867 times
Reputation: 12014

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and Nestle (compliments of Cascade Locks, OR) (swapping 'city well water' to the hatchery for 'Spring water') This should play with their spawning instinct! (any old well should do!)
Cascade Locks Presses Forward With Nestle Spring Water Deal . News | OPB
Even if you choose to sell your water rights - why in the world would you make it PERMANENT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
That is SUCH A BAD idea! Nestle, a French company, has been sucking water out of the San Bernardino Mtns. in SoCal, for years, to bottle as Arrowhead brand. They also took it from Palomar Mountain in San Diego Co. in SoCal, maybe still do...both of those areas were verdant & are now scorched by drought & frequently ravaged by fires.. and CA, especially SoCal, is in a crippling drought! Nestle also has a bottling plant on the Morongo Indian Reservation, which is in the middle of the SoCal desert...ironic? Wake up, Cascade Locks. Washington, dont sell water!
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody is getting a pretty big payout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM
 
Location: West Coast - Best Coast!
1,978 posts, read 2,707,306 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
That is SUCH A BAD idea! Nestle, a French company...
Just a correction: Nestle is a Swiss company, not French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 PM
 
5,165 posts, read 2,378,778 times
Reputation: 8192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Just a correction: Nestle is a Swiss company, not French.

Thank you, you are correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 PM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,516,379 times
Reputation: 1195
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 09:26 AM
 
226 posts, read 185,340 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I first realized that the possibility wasn't just a straw man when I flew over the Colorado River Aqueduct one day. If that were possible, other things might be, though I agree that there would be daunting obstacles. It would probably involve a lot of eminent domain, which I see as increasingly possible in an authoritarian country.
Possible? Yes. Likely? Hardly. As you say, too many obstacles.

This is CA's problem to solve and no doubt they will. But the solution will require some massive changes in how the state uses water. The ag sector will have to make sacrifices as it uses 80% of the state's water (the CA gov's current mandate only covers residential users). Those will affect not just farmers, but also folks who buy CA's ag output, which is just about everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Aloverton
6,564 posts, read 11,865,228 times
Reputation: 9953
Indeed. It's a good thing I won't miss almonds, since it appears as if the water problem can almost be solved if they nail that industry to the cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2015, 10:27 AM
 
77 posts, read 63,573 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not only CA that can't control illegal immigration. No state can. The federal government can't, or chooses not to. There is no border state that has been able to control illegal immigration. In any case, that has nothing to do with your topic.
It does. And CA could control illegal immigration, if not Big Ag mafia lobbying their cronies in Sacramento.

Illegal immigration is what Big Ag lives off. Also, how about deporting illegals from CA so that they can't suck off welfare checks and use the water for their personal needs? Less Big Ag, less illegals using water, more locals living by "eat local, eat seasonal", limiting their consumption -- less destruction of environment and the State of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2015, 10:30 AM
 
77 posts, read 63,573 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It's not our water... (or Oregon's either)
But the land surrounding it is. Good luck delivering water by drones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 AM
 
77 posts, read 63,573 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
Possible? Yes. Likely? Hardly. As you say, too many obstacles.

This is CA's problem to solve and no doubt they will. But the solution will require some massive changes in how the state uses water. The ag sector will have to make sacrifices as it uses 80% of the state's water (the CA gov's current mandate only covers residential users). Those will affect not just farmers, but also folks who buy CA's ag output, which is just about everyone.
Perhaps the entitlement to "eat bueberries and whatever, year round" will end, finally (and the entitlement to poison land with pesticides).
The funny thing is that all that non-organic crap that's grown en-masse (and wasted en-masse as well) is doing more bad than good to health when it's eaten.
Have you been to Central CA recently? Just driving through that filthy dump (what Big Ag turned it into) is a disgusting experience. The stench of chemicals in the air, etc. (people with asthma would know what I'm talking about). High violent crime. When you drive down from the mountains, first you notice the stench and you see the haze of pollusion over giant Big Ag ghetto--time to the shut car windows--next you see the entire wast space cloaked with yellowish toxic smog veil, a surreal, nasty picture and you have to remind yourself that "driving rules" do not exist there, so better watch that driver in the next lane, who may not have a license. (my experience with Central CA is not limited to driving; I had lived there--no place there is safe, largely due to illegals)

Big Ag is not just water waste. It's poisoning the air, land and water. It enforces one-race-only employment in agricultural sector. It'll be either a mega-drought or a big quake but something got to send a "sustainability" message, finally--better sooner than later. This includes rethinking delusional, hedonistic lifestyle that warrants giant golf courses, lawns in the desert, etc. OR and WA refusing to send water would only help CA to wake up and look in the mirror and see the destruction they're inflicting on selves. Having no water is good for CA.

Last edited by opossum1; 04-16-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 10:16 AM
 
226 posts, read 185,340 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Perhaps the entitlement to "eat bueberries and whatever, year round" will end, finally (and the entitlement to poison land with pesticides).
The funny thing is that all that non-organic crap that's grown en-masse (and wasted en-masse as well) is doing more bad than good to health when it's eaten.
Have you been to Central CA recently? Just driving through that filthy dump (what Big Ag turned it into) is a disgusting experience. The stench of chemicals in the air, etc. (people with asthma would know what I'm talking about). High violent crime. When you drive down from the mountains, first you notice the stench and you see the haze of pollusion over giant Big Ag ghetto--time to the shut car windows--next you see the entire wast space cloaked with yellowish toxic smog veil, a surreal, nasty picture and you have to remind yourself that "driving rules" do not exist there, so better watch that driver in the next lane, who may not have a license. (my experience with Central CA is not limited to driving; I had lived there--no place there is safe, largely due to illegals)

Big Ag is not just water waste. It's poisoning the air, land and water. It enforces one-race-only employment in agricultural sector. It'll be either a mega-drought or a big quake but something got to send a "sustainability" message, finally--better sooner than later. This includes rethinking delusional, hedonistic lifestyle that warrants giant golf courses, lawns in the desert, etc. OR and WA refusing to send water would only help CA to wake up and look in the mirror and see the destruction they're inflicting on selves. Having no water is good for CA.
The Central Valley may be everything you describe but the fact remains is that it accounts for a sizable portion of the nation's agricultural output. And if it didn't exist, the effects would be felt in almost everyone's pocketbook.

The reason Big Ag (and not just in CA) hasn't gone organic in a big way is the same reason we aren't all riding solar-powered bicycles instead of driving cars: making the change would cost a hell of a lot of money both during the transition and going forward.

As for your apparent desire to see CA dry up and blow away or be destroyed by a giant quake, be careful what you wish for. Where do you think the survivors will go? Iowa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top