Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 AM

527 posts, read 422,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
The Central Valley may be everything you describe but the fact remains is that it accounts for a sizable portion of the nation's agricultural output. And if it didn't exist, the effects would be felt in almost everyone's pocketbook.

The reason Big Ag (and not just in CA) hasn't gone organic in a big way is the same reason we aren't all riding solar-powered bicycles instead of driving cars: making the change would cost a hell of a lot of money both during the transition and going forward.

As for your apparent desire to see CA dry up and blow away or be destroyed by a giant quake, be careful what you wish for. Where do you think the survivors will go? Iowa?
Wherver they go... I can care less really: it's a free market capitalism.

As to Central Valley's agricultural output and "hitting someone's pockets"-- cry me a river.

It's NOT an excuse to poison and destrly Central CA land, airl and water and turn it into a giant dumpster.

How about those "wanna blueberies every day" consumers STOP eating pesticide-laden crap (which will make them a public health burden a few years down the road) and learn to live by the means, aka eating seasonal/accepting limitations -- beacause the Earth HAS the limitations? Just because another entitled American wants to stuff their piehole with spinach all day it's not an excuse to permanently destroy the land.

Big Ag has nothing to do with "cars". Yes, my car doesn't run on ethanol.

Oh by the way, about those American consumers and their pocketbooks....most water-intensive culture in CA is almonds, and this stuff gets shipped straight to China.

Got no water? Adjust your diet. Overfilled shelves of US supermarkets, filled with plastic-tasting pesticide-filled fake "produce" are hideous, plus lot of produce gets destroyed for "imperfections". But US produce doesn't taste anything remotely like real fruit and veggies should taste like, due to abusive ways it's grown. Learn to live by the means.

Like they say in some Skandinavian countries: "fruit is candy". And the kiddie got to learn that eating candy every day is just ain't going to happen sometimes, no matter how much they cry and demand. Learn to cultivate plants appropriate for the climate zone/natural water availaibility. Learn to encourage (rather than discourage, as done now) individual-scale vegetable gardens in the climates where irrigation need is minimal, give tax insentives.

Sorry pal, you can't ride 200K sports car all day...and everyone can't have strawberries every day. Want to eat more fruit? Move to a tropical country where it's raining and warm every day. Diets natural to US climate zones did not involve eating what people think they're entitled to eat daily. Another example of entitlements, akin to living off a giant debt bubble and filling the country with Chinese plastic junk, thinking it's the only way to live. ("my kids wil pay off my giant debts and fake lifestyle...some day, they won't have money for retirement but it's OK as soon as I'm rolling now")

What do ya know about my "apprent desires" for an earthquake? Don't put words in my mouth. My family has a property in CA (in the area where you wouldn't afford to buy anything ) Have a nice rest of the year, hope you find more conersational partners on the forums, I'm a little busy.

Last edited by opossum1; 04-18-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:52 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
When I was stationed in Saudi Arabia I saw these huge desalination plants by the Persian Gulf built to supply the bone dry desert kingdom water for it's citizens.
California may have to go this route, even if it means sticking plants along the shore affecting the oceans views. In fact San Diego has already been going ahead with that:
Nation's largest ocean desalination plant goes up near San Diego; Future of the California coast? - San Jose Mercury News

Getting water from the Pac NW only kicks the can down the road.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Watch out for William Shatner
William Shatner: Solve California drought with Washington water | The Seattle Times

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/exclusive...672789084.html

Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
The funny thing is that all that non-organic crap that's grown en-masse (and wasted en-masse as well) is doing more bad than good to health when it's eaten.
Quote:
How about those "wanna blueberies every day" consumers STOP eating pesticide-laden crap (which will make them a public health burden a few years down the road) and learn to live by the means, aka eating seasonal/accepting limitations -- beacause the Earth HAS the limitations? Just because another entitled American wants to stuff their piehole with spinach all day it's not an excuse to permanently destroy the land.
I've just now read through this thread, and of course, someone always goes off-topic on their own crusade.

At BEST, the organic industry is un-proven to be healthier. At worst, the industry as a whole is a bunch of scam-artists that use the "organic" label to jack up prices FAR more than the increased cost of organic farming warrants.

Recent citations (inconclusive at best):

Nutritional quality of organic foods: a systematic review.
Dangour AD, Dodhia SK, Hayter A, Allen E, Lock K, Uauy R.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Sep;90(3):680-5. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2009.28041. Epub 2009 Jul 29. Review.

Nutrition-related health effects of organic foods: a systematic review
By: Dangour, A. D., K. Lock, A. Hayter, A. Aikenhead, E. Allen, and R. Uauy.
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2010

Are organic foods safer or healthier than conventional alternatives?: a systematic review.
Smith-Spangler C, Brandeau ML, Hunter GE, Bavinger JC, Pearson M, Eschbach PJ, Sundaram V, Liu H, Schirmer P, Stave C, Olkin I, Bravata DM.
Ann Intern Med. 2012 Sep 4;157(5):348-66. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-157-5-201209040-00007. Review. Erratum in: Ann Intern Med. 2012 Nov 6;157(9):680. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Oct 2;157(7):532.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Blueberries. Spinach. Two of my favorite piehole stuffings.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:53 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Blackberries and cherries. YUM!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Scotty, please beam him up.

BTW, the Olympic Mtn. snow pack this year is only 3% of normal...

Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

Yeppa, a few weeks ago at work I wished I was on the top of Mt. Carrie, in an enclosure-cave and/or travel tent. The Olympic Range is a gem for Washington, a gem and a marvelous thing!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 AM

33 posts, read 44,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
When I was stationed in Saudi Arabia I saw these huge desalination plants by the Persian Gulf built to supply the bone dry desert kingdom water for it's citizens.
California may have to go this route, even if it means sticking plants along the shore affecting the oceans views. In fact San Diego has already been going ahead with that:
Nation's largest ocean desalination plant goes up near San Diego; Future of the California coast? - San Jose Mercury News

Getting water from the Pac NW only kicks the can down the road.
More desalination plants is an idea that has been floated about recently, but certain state officials have deemed the $63Billion hi-speed rail project, that won't get much use, as more important!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Scotty, please beam him up.

Exactly what I thought.

A friend of mine posted pictures of Snoqualmie Falls on fb awhile back and I was stunned to see how low the water was. The waterfall looked so pitiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington