Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,246,516 times

Advertisements

Gov. Inslee puts brakes on 75 mph speed limit

I can see the prudence in wanting more studies done to prove the safety of increasing speed, but it's not as if this is a first-in-the-nation kind of law. There are plenty of other states that have much higher speed limits than WA:

Speed limit laws

It would seem like many of those states with higher speed limit laws have already done some kind of safety studies (I will have to search for them when I have time) - can't Inslee just look those up?

Or does he think that Washingtonians need to be baby-sat more than citizens of other states?

P.S. Interestingly, Oregon has the second-slowest speed limits in the country. Maybe that's part of Inslee's motivation - since WA and OR have recently been as monkey-see-monkey-do as any two states can be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM

576 posts, read 2,251,630 times
Oh well, there's always Idaho or Utah:
Attached Thumbnails
Governor Inslee partially vetoes increasing speed limits-26452326.sf.jpg  

Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Here are a couple of articles, maybe biased, I don't know:

Foundation Study Shows: Safe To Raise Freeway Speed Limits

The Effects of Raising and Lowering the Speed Limit | NMA

But I found those with a 5-second Google search. I'm sure Inslee's cronies could have looked for studies that have already been done before just vetoing the whole bill.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,482,357 times
Well, if the speed limit is raised in the rural counties, what are all those poor, lurking State Patrol persons going to have left to do???

Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Well, if the speed limit is raised in the rural counties, what are all those poor, lurking State Patrol persons going to have left to do???
Yeah. I think it's an unfounded rumor, but I've heard conspiracy theories that the reason they reneged on the unlimited speed limits in the daytime in Montana a few years back, was because the state was losing speeding-ticket income, not because they were worried about lack of safety.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,395,303 times
I myself have never been comfortable with Idaho's 75 limit, but since it doesn't apply through the Boise area, I rarely get to step on it to that degree. That said, I don't think it does harm in more lightly traveled areas. While it irritates me that the limit on the Oregon side in the Gorge is 65, I wouldn't want it raised. Between Ontario and Hermiston, though, and even partway to The Dalles, I could see it.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Or does he think that Washingtonians need to be baby-sat more than citizens of other states?
It seems that way. I'm surprised we aren't required to wear helmets while driving our cars.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:02 PM

576 posts, read 2,251,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I myself have never been comfortable with Idaho's 75 limit
Which was increased to 80 in various parts of the state last summer.

Speed limit now 80 mph on some Idaho interstates

We'll see how that all goes for ID but I'm not holding my breath for an increase in WA speed limits...

Old 04-30-2015, 06:56 AM

22 posts, read 26,017 times
I currently live in Michigan where the speed limit is 70. Realistically, traffic rarely moves below 80, even during higher volume traffic times. It can be downright scary, and I'm not a timid driver. About a year ago, I sold my motorcycle because I wasn't comfortable mixing it up with inattentive drivers, minimally-regulated commercial trucks, and less than ideally maintained cars. Before moving here, I commuted by motorcycle daily in Los Angeles - El Segundo (LAX area) to near Pomona (inland). That felt safer to me than it did here. When we visit Washington, especially Seattle, I love the 60 MPH speed limit, especially on a bike.

Just take a look at the number of traffic related deaths between Michigan and Washington - I wonder if the difference is speed related?

Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 AM

768 posts, read 713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
It seems that way. I'm surprised we aren't required to wear helmets while driving our cars.
angelinogirl~ You know the most nanny/police state is California. For the 2014 year, California passed over 800 new laws. Washington enacted 11, I believe.

It's difficult going 60 mph on the freeways here in Washington, at least it is if you're used to driving in so California.

If you go over 65, you stand out because everyone is doing 60. Easy for the State Troopers to pick you off.

Where the speed limit in so cal is 65, most people drive at 75. Some faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington