U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure which town I should move to, though I have narrowed it down as far as the western half of Washington. Do you have any suggestions that fit my requirements?

1.) Rarely sunny. I don't care how often it rains or snows (I like rain and snow, but can live without), as long as it is cloudy a majority of the time. I have bad sunlight sensitivities. Arizona is killing me, quite possibly literally.

2.) No more than an hour away from a large body of water (lake, river, ocean, whatever) that allows dogs.

3.) I show my dogs in Conformation shows. I'd prefer to be no more than an hour away from popular show grounds. Pretty much any large city I can find some shows. If the town is relatively dog friendly, that would be great. Dog parks, pet businesses, etc.

4.) I am going to school to be a veterinary technician (animal nurse basically). I'd like a place that is animal friendly enough that multiple vets can keep their doors open, giving me options. My Fiance is a computer technician, but is a bit easier to find towns that cater to that, as technology now rules people's lives.

5.) I don't want to live in a huge city, nor do I want a small town. Size doesn't matter too much to me, but its more of the heavy traffic and complicated navigation I want to avoid. I am currently in a town that is 30 square miles with 60,000 people. I am comfortable with that size. Smaller is fine, just maybe keeping that ratio of people per space?

6.) I am an equestrian. A horse-less equestrian until I move and get settled. I'd like a place with boarding options and riding lesson options, maybe even show grounds (preferably show jumping, hunter jumping, and dressage). I do not want "farm country" though. Perfect way to compare it is West Sacramento. You have nice houses not zoned for horses, but the next block over, you have farms zoned for them.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,864 posts, read 37,577,330 times
look at Battleground and Camas WA as an option to be near Portland, OR. (Very commute friendly / ez to bypass traffic in off hours). 1/2 hr to anywhere in metro area, including 20+ colleges. Lots of high tech (w/ 9% income tax for OR jobs)

Where are you doing Vet School? That could limit your options in the near term (Corvallis, OR or Pullman, WA)?

For least sunlight... Consider Aberdeen / Gray's Harbor area (quite economically depressed, but cheap living), You will be driving a LOT (to dog shows / high tech jobs)

Old 06-01-2015, 03:42 PM

6,170 posts, read 4,395,216 times
Somewhere within reach of Long Beach and Portland.

Back Country Horse Rides - Tours - Long Beach, WA - Yelp

Or, for cheap house rentals, Grays Harbor is hard to beat:

Rental Listings in Grays Harbor County WA - 13 Rentals | Zillow

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grays...73274606080009

Grays Harbor County, Washington Horse Boarding Stables & Livery Yards Directory - O Horse!

Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 PM

249 posts, read 253,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanalter View Post
Do you have any suggestions that fit my requirements?
First, welcome to the forum!

1.) There are no guarantees, but most of Western Washington would not be considered sunny during "wet season" which is roughly October into March. While there are "more cloudy areas", they tend to be smaller and lacking in economic activity.

2.) I would suggest that you look at a map and find bodies of water that might interest you. I mean, do you just want to take your dog to water and play in the water? I assume so. In that case, I haven't seen any dog bans on state or Federally owned lakes, rivers, and ocean access points.

3.) I suggest Internet searching for "dog conformation shows WA" to help narrow down your search for the right place for you in Washington because that seems to be a niche interest.

4.) Needing a veterinary school nearby narrows down your search significantly: 10 Accredited Veterinary Schools in Washington State (That list may not be complete, but I did take the time to start searching for you.)

5.) With the exception of the Olympia area, a population of around 60,000 means that I am not personally familiar with where you want to move.

6.) As with dog conformations, "equestrian needs" seems like a niche interest.

So based upon your weather and city size preferences along with your vet school needs, the only city in Washington that matches is Bellingham, WA: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bellin...ashington.html It even has lots of water nearby.

Quote:
Thank you
I hope that I was helpful. You didn't mention the most important factor, which is of course money. That URL has housing costs statistics too. The only other lead that I came across which might fit your needs is Longview, WA: http://www.city-data.com/city/Longview-Washington.html I would guess that Longview is sunnier than Bellingham, but it is closer to a major US city - Portland - than Bellingham is to Seattle. I am not familiar with either of my relocation suggestions, but other forum members are. So after reviewing those two URLs, try searching the forum and then ask questions if you think either of those two leads are promising.

Last edited by Olympian2; 06-04-2015 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,097,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
4.) Needing a veterinary school nearby narrows down your search significantly: 10 Accredited Veterinary Schools in Washington State (That list may not be complete, but I did take the time to start searching for you.)
This comment is completely off-topic (sorry), but that website you cited has to be the least accurate thing I have ever looked at.

As far as the schools available to receive a veterinary TECHNICIAN degree, I think that is accurate, but the webpage doesn't specifically state the TECHNICIAN part, and the rest of that site is complete crap.

First, "veterinary professional" is not a job category. Are their listings for employment prospects and average salary based on technicians, assistants, or actual veterinarians? Because each of those jobs have vastly different requirements and starting salaries. If the website is lumping them all together, then it's basically worthless. That would be like putting an orderly and a doctor together and calling them both "medical professionals".

Second, what is this listing for BS, MS, or PhD's as a "veterinary professional"? Some veterinarians (mostly researchers at WSU) have Master's degrees or PhD's in addition to their DVM degrees, but those degrees in and of themselves mean nothing as far as being called a "veterinary professional". So, the graph at the bottom of the page called "Educational Trends" makes absolutely no sense.

Finally, (this always bugs me) the state we live in is called Washington, not Washington State. In the first text section of the webpage, under "Professional Trends", it actually calls our state "Washington State state"...

Okay, I'm done. Sorry, this is my personal pet peeve. We need to be referencing websites that do actual research on their subject, not relying on worthless crap just because we happen to find it on the interwebzz.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
This comment is completely off-topic (sorry), but that website you cited has to be the least accurate thing I have ever looked at.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry, this is my personal pet peeve. We need to be referencing websites that do actual research on their subject, not relying on worthless crap just because we happen to find it on the interwebzz.
I volunteered my time to help someone about a subject on which I am ignorant. And I did add "That list may not be complete, but I did take the time to start searching for you." which was a hint that the OP should obviously select his / her own veterinary school. To satisfy your pet peeve, I shall amend that to "That list may not be complete or necessarily applicable to your professional goals, but I started the search for you." Additionally I will add that by "search" I do not necessarily mean an Internet search, but a "search" in general which might include creating a topic titled "Veterinary school recommendations in Washington" in which someone knowledgeable about veterinary education might reply and provide much better information and references.

Oh, PS: I was likely the first person to ever use the word "InterWeb". Certainly, I independently coined the word and began using and sharing it frequently once the WWW protocols were developed and implemented and became commercialized. The first time that I ever heard it used beyond my technical circles was on "Babylon 5", but that show didn't use it in the bitingly derisive manner that I did.

Quote:
Finally, (this always bugs me) the state we live in is called Washington, not Washington State.
You know, that annoys me too, but I am managing to cope with my distress (so far, at least). Depending upon the reference used, the proper way to address Washington is either "The State of Washington" or else "the state of Washington". Personally, I use the second variant.

Now if you want to be critical of a website because it does not address the state of Washington the way "we" do, I'll start with:

Washington State Department of Revenue

I am furious , and I am just getting started!

Ayyyyyyyyy!!Y!Y!Y!: WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application The Department of Licensing where we get our tabs and titles takes our money and throws this rancid garbage at us!:

(Damn, I think that I fractured a bone in hand by pounding so hard on my desk, and there is blood everywhere!)

// towel and duct tape break ...

And we both know what's coming next - King County complete with its downtown Seattle metro and huge stinking buses and bike lanes and all except a parking spot: General Name Change Information - King County ":

Panic attack, can't breathe, IT'S ON OUR DAMNED GOVERNOR JAY INSLEE'S home page!!!!!!!!: Governor Jay Inslee | Washington State who then really torques my screws by following that with

And THAT is why I voted for Rob McKenna (who also would have let me drive at more appropriate speeds).

But IT GETS WORSE!!!! IT'S ON JAY INSLEE'S FACEBOOK PAGE!!!!!@%!%!% : https://www.facebook.com/WaStateGov :

This conspiracy is deep, dark, twisted, and convoluted, and now we know that Mark Zuckerberg is involved!!! Whoever the plotters are, at least now we have enough dirt on Inslee to have him removed from office.

And I know who is behind this conspiracy - furryners. It's that simple. Whether they be from California or Timbuktu, they are trying to secretly and silently corrupt our state's name. And I know why. They want our precious stately fluids.

Now besides you and me, I can find but a few who have not become covert perverted agents acting on behalf of the enemies of the state of Washington.

Access Washington - "Welcome to the State of Washington" - I don't know what it is, but I know that it's our friend.

While I am surprised to learn that the Federal government has somehow ceded authority to the state of Washington to negotiate pot sales with tribes from India : HB 2000 - 2015-16 , our state legislature has NOT BEEN COMPLETELY CORRUPTED IN THIS WATER CONSPIRACY!!!!!

And as broken and insolvent as it ... I can't believe this: Washington Healthplanfinder | Washington Healthplanfinder :

The health benefit exchange of "The State of Washington" is apparently on my side despite the days, weeks, and months of struggling with broken high school coders and their weekly automated policy cancellations notices for unpaid bills of $0.00. But now I know that they don't want my water.

And finally my friend and ally, I must share that Google is obviously part of this water conspiracy. When searching with "quotes" around "state of washington", GOOGLE PERVERTS THE SEARCH into "washington state". With Facebook and Google plotting against us, WE CAN'T FIND NEW FRIENDS!!!!

Quote:
In the first text section of the webpage, under "Professional Trends", it actually calls our state "Washington State state"...
That was obviously caused by human error (at some level) when filling in a template.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:13 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,097,378 times
Sorry, Olympian. Didn't mean to suggest that you are somehow responsible for that website's content. Just that website has been used in the past and it's clearly not very accurate. My rant was genuine, however, not sarcastic...

Old 06-07-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Olympian. Didn't mean to suggest that you are somehow responsible for that website's content. Just that website has been used in the past and it's clearly not very accurate.
Oh, OK. But anyway, I ended up being eventually pleased that you posted.

Quote:
My rant was genuine, however, not sarcastic...
But I was not trying to be sarcastic to you! My post was comprised of three parts: 1) a serious reply 2) the comedic section 3) a neutral ending to "smooth out things".

While it really would nice if there was some way of starting a national campaign to rename Washington, D.C., to just "D.C.", or a state campaign to educate the residents of the state of Washington about the name of our state (funded by a combination of taxes on candy, bottled water, and plastic shopping bags along with more increased taxes on gasoline, cigarettes, and liquor), or certainly a "zero tolerance" law for elected state officials who refer to the state of Washington as "Washington state", I was personally close to giving up on that matter. I pleased to learn that you are annoyed by that too.

I "researched" and composed the comedic section with spare time due to it simply being too hot to go outside. With the exception of the implied insane paranoia about "foreigners plotting to steal our precious stately fluids", the comedic section mostly accurately reflects my personal thoughts and opinions along with my experiences.

When I began composing the comedic section, I did not know where I was going with it. I later realized that the "water fixation" theme was developed subconsciously due to an untreated medical problem which makes me want to drink lots of water. That got linked into my memories of the character "Gen. Jack Ripper" from the early 1960's film with the truncated title of "Dr. Strangelove" and was then seasoned with William Shatner's vision of a water pipeline from Seattle to the swimming pools of California.

Those screen captures are genuine. I originally used cut and pasted text, but besides the post looking like a visually unattractive long rant of words which no one would want to read, I felt that I should document the state of Washington's elected employees' ignorance of the state that employs them. The gem of my searching was current Governor Jay Inslee either not seeming to know much about the state that he is governing, or else he is certainly not a micro-manager who bothers to read his own website or Facebook page. While the font was a bit small, I found Inslee's Facebook summary of:

"Jay Inslee, Governor of Washington state. Focused on jobs, education, clean energy, and building a Washington that works for everyone."

Besides someone not knowing the proper name of the state that Inslee is governing, notice the two lame attempts at constructing a grammatically correct English sentence. It seems that Governor Inslee needs to refocus on "education", perhaps his own.

I'll finish my seemingly off-topic posting by noting that I regret two editorial mistakes in my previous post. "bitingly" needs to be removed from the "serious section"; it was a last second unnecessary prelude to the foreshadowing that I used at the beginning of the comedic section. "furryners" should be reverted back to the original "foreigners". "foreigners" can be viewed as racist, but I briefly forgot that I was pretending to be "insanely paranoid about foreigners stealing our precious stately fluids."

Last edited by Olympian2; 06-07-2015 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: I make typos too, but I am not being paid to post.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:16 AM

jordanalter, please don't let my off-topic discussions and such discourage you from participating in your topic.

The history behind "thisplacesucks" post is that it is not unusual to for a poster considering moving to Washington to create a list of requirements, which are often demanding. And then some posters end with something like "And my housing budget along with utilities is $850 / month."

I had some spare time for my first reply. Since you didn't end with a budget at all, after only skimming through your post initially, I addressed your goals by number. Once I came across the need for a veterinary school, well that really narrows it down since you don't seem to want to move to the more densely populated Seattle-Tacoma and suburbs area. Unless you have general questions about Washington / Western Washington, I don't think that I can help you much more, but someone else might be able to.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,065,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanalter View Post
I'm not sure which town I should move to, though I have narrowed it down as far as the western half of Washington. Do you have any suggestions that fit my requirements?

1.) Rarely sunny. I don't care how often it rains or snows (I like rain and snow, but can live without), as long as it is cloudy a majority of the time. I have bad sunlight sensitivities. Arizona is killing me, quite possibly literally.

2.) No more than an hour away from a large body of water (lake, river, ocean, whatever) that allows dogs.

3.) I show my dogs in Conformation shows. I'd prefer to be no more than an hour away from popular show grounds. Pretty much any large city I can find some shows. If the town is relatively dog friendly, that would be great. Dog parks, pet businesses, etc.

4.) I am going to school to be a veterinary technician (animal nurse basically). I'd like a place that is animal friendly enough that multiple vets can keep their doors open, giving me options. My Fiance is a computer technician, but is a bit easier to find towns that cater to that, as technology now rules people's lives.

5.) I don't want to live in a huge city, nor do I want a small town. Size doesn't matter too much to me, but its more of the heavy traffic and complicated navigation I want to avoid. I am currently in a town that is 30 square miles with 60,000 people. I am comfortable with that size. Smaller is fine, just maybe keeping that ratio of people per space?

6.) I am an equestrian. A horse-less equestrian until I move and get settled. I'd like a place with boarding options and riding lesson options, maybe even show grounds (preferably show jumping, hunter jumping, and dressage). I do not want "farm country" though. Perfect way to compare it is West Sacramento. You have nice houses not zoned for horses, but the next block over, you have farms zoned for them.

Thank you
Aberdeen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or