Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 5,338 times

Advertisements

Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster here. I've heard so much about how high the property crime rate is in WA, and how the police really don't care, etc. I want to hear directly from you guys what your experience has been, if any, with property crime. Is it really as common as I'm led to believe?

I ask because I have been considering a possible move to the state, but would probably not want to because of this. Where I live currently, the property crime rate is very low, and when it happens it's taken seriously by the authorities.

Just want to hear from you guys. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 AM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Disclaimer: I am not native to Spokane. However my father's family have been in Eastern Washington for at least 4 generations (can't remember if it was my great-great grandpa or 3 greats that moved there) before my father moved to Texas in the 80s. My father and his family have lived in or near Spokane for a long time. He almost of all of his siblings went to Gonzaga. My cousin was a teacher in Spokane for several years. All of them shop there on a regular basis. We have several family friends in Spokane, etc. So this information is anecdotal and 2nd hand.

That said, it's my opinion that property crime in the Spokane area is largely localized to certain areas. None of my numerous contacts has ever said anything about their property being vandalized or stolen. None of them have moved away from the city due to crime. When talking specifically about this issue, they say they've not had any problems and feel like it's only certain neighborhoods that make up the majority of the reported incidents.

I'm from a much larger city with much larger problems. I've been to some seedy areas of San Antonio and Dallas and nothing in Spokane comes close to that. I've never felt unsafe in Spokane the many times I've been there (even Downtown at night) and I think the rate is much higher in certain areas and much lower in others. If you select your neighborhood right, I doubt you'll have any issues.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:12 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Disclaimer: I am not native to Spokane. However my father's family have been in Eastern Washington for at least 4 generations (can't remember if it was my great-great grandpa or 3 greats that moved there) before my father moved to Texas in the 80s. My father and his family have lived in or near Spokane for a long time. He almost of all of his siblings went to Gonzaga. My cousin was a teacher in Spokane for several years. All of them shop there on a regular basis. We have several family friends in Spokane, etc. So this information is anecdotal and 2nd hand.

That said, it's my opinion that property crime in the Spokane area is largely localized to certain areas. None of my numerous contacts has ever said anything about their property being vandalized or stolen. None of them have moved away from the city due to crime. When talking specifically about this issue, they say they've not had any problems and feel like it's only certain neighborhoods that make up the majority of the reported incidents.

I'm from a much larger city with much larger problems. I've been to some seedy areas of San Antonio and Dallas and nothing in Spokane comes close to that. I've never felt unsafe in Spokane the many times I've been there (even Downtown at night) and I think the rate is much higher in certain areas and much lower in others. If you select your neighborhood right, I doubt you'll have any issues.
Thanks for this great post! Considering how many people complain about this kind of thing all across the state (Spokane in particular) you would think that everybody and his brother are continuously getting stuff stolen right out from under them, and that their wife's purses are always being pulled off their shoulders as they walk down the street.

I'm not sure what it is (meth problems, liberal policing policies, etc?) that leads to such a high rate of property crime rate, but it's not as if we are living in a crime-ridden hell. You just have to be careful, lock your doors, and be especially wary if you live in specific towns/neighborhoods with exceptional (but unusual) crime problems.

Personally, in 40+ years of living in Washington - I had a vacant house (that I was trying to sell) broken-into for the copper wire in Onalaska (tweakers, in this case, according to the police), and a car window smashed back in the 80's in Wenatchee. IMO, that's not much in 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington