Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone: I am looking at job offers in Idaho and Eastern Washington...I am in the healthcare field and there is an opportunity in Pomeroy, Washington. I would have to live within 20 minutes of the area.

My question is, where are good places to live? My husband and I love the outdoors, hunting, biking, skiing, kayaking. We don't need Starbucks or Walmart, but we want a good quality of life. I would appreciate any advice. Also looking at jobs in Idaho, I can go pretty much anywhere, and he is retired and just wants a good outdoorsy life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Very quiet location and a bit of a drive for services (Walla Walla / Lewiston / Spokane). Nice farming community, close to Blue Mtns. Plenty to do for the person who can keep themselves occupied. (Hunting / fishing / water sports). good downhill Skiing will be quite a drive (Sandpoint or Big Sky, MT, or BC). X-C is available nearby.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,783 times
Thank you for the reply. Are the folks in the area friendly? Is there access to public land, ie lakes, rivers, hunting? I have looked at photos of Pomeroy and it is a bit barren. There is XC skiing close by? That would be great.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Having been through there a couple of times, I concur, it's barren. With only a bit more than 1,000 people, I'm surprised that there are jobs there. As I recall, the only body of water nearby is the Snake River.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Sometimes you will be able to XC the slopes (rolling hills) surrounding Pomeroy. Other wise the nearby Blue Mtns will have plenty of space, often snow, and NO people. Take a snowmobile and groom in some trails.

I am a 'dry-land farm kid'.. Living in Pomeroy would be heavenly! (for me... YMMV). My boss grew up there, she is of pretty good stock and VERY reasonable / smart with AG stuff and finance.

Give a call to some people in church home groups as well as civic interest groups and see if people are friendly to you. I would trust they will be.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:49 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
Most small towns in Eastern Washington are very conservative and boring. If you're OK with that then you'll do fine.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Most small towns in Eastern Washington are very conservative and boring. If you're OK with that then you'll do fine.
Most small towns in all of Washington and most of this country are very conservative and boring. Not limited to Eastern Washington.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
If you like small town Americana then Pomeroy would be it. Nested in a valley surrounds by hills covered in wheat it is very quiet. You are only 15 miles or so from the Clarkston-Lewiston area which has the box stores and other shopping areas.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Most small towns in all of Washington and most of this country are very conservative and boring. Not limited to Eastern Washington.
IF you BUY your entertainment small towns are boring. IF you MAKE your entertainment urban areas are boring.

Pomeroy is a very small town. We spend about 10 days every fall hunting upland birds in the area. There is a Forest Service Ranger Station in town with National Forest land just outside of town.

I would go and check it out.

Washington does not have an income tax so that really helps in living costs. Washington is also a CORPORATE state, that is it is totally owned and operated for and by the large corporations based in western Washington.

Idaho is more expensive on the tax side, but it is state that pretty much is still what America use to be. I do miss living in Idaho for that reason.

Living in Pomeroy you will end up a Idaho resident anyway. Years ago, the Seattle Times went around the state asking the people what they thought of the Governor.

In Clarkston and Pomeroy he was surprised to find that the left-wing Governor was fairly well respected and everybody thought he was doing a good job. Then he realized everybody was thinking he was asking about the Governor of Idaho!!

What parts of Idaho are you looking??

Old 06-18-2015, 02:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
IF you BUY your entertainment small towns are boring. IF you MAKE your entertainment urban areas are boring.
I agree 100%. I was responding to the jab at conservative towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington