Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:52 AM

104 posts, read 133,324 times

Advertisements

"Your son is eligible for Running Start because he is a WA State public schooled student"

I thought that's what I was trying to say... If the OP is considering the option to homeschool again and wants RS they may not be able to... I was providing an option to both homeschool and a traditional brick & mortar school with the PUBLIC online school(s). I stated my son's school is a public online school and not considered homeschool, thus enabling him to participate in RS.

No sure if you were correcting something I said or what the point was, but the info you've provided should be helpful to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,695 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4evr View Post
Actually, some more clarification is needed...
... attend the online school we chose - ...
MOST online schools are not WA public schools. (private academy or online school sponsored by a state other than WA)

If you choose ANY online school that is not a WA Public School, you will not be eligible for Running Start. (unless you ALSO are enrolled in a WA Public School (online or brick and mortar))

Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Our daughter went to Eastmont School District until sixth grade and was then in the Wenatchee School District through high school.

HALF the students in the Wenatchee Valley are Mexican immigrants. Many of which do NOT speak English when they enter the school systems. Also their parents routinely pull their kids out of school for several months in the winter so the kids can go back to visit in Mexico. Frankly, it is a culture that does not value education.

Now take those students and give them a "standardized test" and I think you can see why the test scores are so low.

We did move to Wenatchee School District since Eastmont was turning down bond issues. I retrospect it was a mistake for our daughter. As you note, involved teachers are the key (kind and caring without passion is nothing). We found the Wenatchee School District (particularly the high school) way to large to get any kind of quality education.

I don't know if it was no child left behind or what but the focus was on helping the lagging students rather than the bright students which were left to fend for themselves.

The most successful outcomes that we saw in the valley were the kids that went through the Catholic or Cascade Christian schools for the first six grades. We did appreciate Eastmont schools for letting us pick our daughters teachers. Not sure that Wenatchee would be that accomodating.

The best schools in the valley are probably in Cascade School District which includes Leavenworth. The school district issues with a migrant population are much less. In Washington, you can send your kids to another school district and the state money follows. It is only 30 minute drive.

IF your kids education is important I would look up valley and commute to Wenatchee.
Wow, is this really true. I am shocked. The United States of Mexico...

Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Wow, is this really true. I am shocked. The United States of Mexico...
It is similar to what happened during the depression when the Wenatchee Valley had a mass migration of folks from Arkansas. Those folks are now the community leaders. The only difference is the language and culture are different.

Pretty much everything you wanted to know about Wenatchee School District by the numbers is here:

https://k12.niche.com/d/wenatchee-school-district-wa/

If your shocked I take it you have not spent much time in eastern Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington