Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:58 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times

Advertisements

If you plan on Bellingham, there is a tight rental market, especially around the WWU campus. Your skill set may not net you enough income to afford the rent unless you share a house/apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 03:52 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Portland sounds like your kind of place. Seattle would be pretty good too, but it may be a bit too urban-frenetic for you.

Tacoma reminds me a lot of Portland, which is a good thing, but it is part of the Puget Sound metropolis.

Oregon has pretty strict land-use laws, which tightly control suburban sprawl. Portland has the largest urban forest reserve in the nation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest...rtland,_Oregon)

Portland is also the gateway to the Columbia River Gorge, a hiker's paradise. And the Gorge is a world destination for windsurfing and related sports.

If you're not a member of Meetup, I recommend joining and looking at the meetup groups organized in any city you consider.
I agree with this one. My friend is in Portland and everyone seems to have mini farms... plus the added forest area would be great for the OP.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 3,759 times
LOL...Mini-farms are right up my alley! I'm a seed-planting addict!

Also great to know there is so much diversity within reach from Bellingham. A chance to visit the Lummi celebrations would be awesome. And Fairhaven has excellent reviews on trip advisor for its ambiance and variety of shops and restaurants. Looks like a great option if I choose the Bellingham area.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean that "costal" specifically was important, it is just one option to keep me close to nature. Forrests or cliffs or mountains or rivers or lakes would be just as nice.

About economics…tbh, finding a place with cheap housing isn't actually on my checklist. I prefer to tutor and teach, and I do it well, so it's most important that the people around me have the disposable income to hire me. And I've got extensive experience in finance, research, and writing so I've got plenty of other options to get started/fall back on as necessary…

So, at the moment, Portland and Bellingham are in the lead…I think Portland actually has the potential for greater financial stability, but Bellingham really takes the cake in regards to nature.

I'll check into Olympia, Ashland and Hood River as well…

Thanks again everyone. All the comments are a big help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington