Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,877 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in selling our current home in Vader, WA and buying 5+ acres somewhere at least somewhat close by where we can live off grid and be mostly self sufficient without a lot of building and living regulations.

Any insight, advise, properties for sale, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:01 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times
I had to use Google Maps to find Vader, WA, so I wouldn't know of anyplace nearby you. It doesn't sound you are "prepping", but you might find some helpful information in this thread:

Any advice from Preppers on future home in WA?

This thread is not about prepping and might be helpful to you:

Cabin without need for building permit?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
I also don't know much about Vader; I do know that it's a tiny little town, but it's certainly not isolated (if that's what you're looking for) - it's basically on the I-5 Corridor, or close to it- maybe a 5 minute drive to get on the freeway, and about 20 minutes from Centralia/Chehalis.

If you're looking to get away in Lewis County, I would look around Randall or Packwood - much more isolated than Vader.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
start here
Solar Washington | Advancing Solar Energy in Washington State
Current Incentives | Solar Washington

There are some real movers and shakers in the PUD industry who have done a lot to enable legislation in WA. I would head to one of their counties.!

WAC 458-20-273: Renewable energy system cost recovery.
Washington Solar | SEIA

Beware of the sharks (companies doing business to rape homeowners using 'tax credit / incentives'). They have been lurking since the 1970's. I was really surprised they all reappeared at the pig trough of the latest gov funded 'rebates'... (solar / alternative energy does not have to be expensive).

There is a national solar day every fall, where you can visit solar / earth friendly homes in your area of choice (Several in East and West WA and OR.)

Be sure to attend events here:
Washington Solar | SEIA
SolWest Fair - John Day — Solar Oregon

Been doing alternative energy since 1970...

Old 11-09-2015, 11:50 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
I've looked into this and basically it's illegal to do long term. Waste disposal, code, etc. I wanted an off grid cabin but in my other thread I was basically informed it was illegal. Yes, you can buy a home depot shed and put it on some land, but if you live in it you are breaking the law.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:47 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I've looked into this and basically it's illegal to do long term. Waste disposal, code, etc. I wanted an off grid cabin but in my other thread I was basically informed it was illegal. Yes, you can buy a home depot shed and put it on some land, but if you live in it you are breaking the law.
Best to get away from the metropolitan areas to live off grid.

My family and I lived off grid in Idaho for many years and I know people in eastern WA. And in OR who,live off grid and have for years. Our county in Idaho still has no building inspections, etc. You get inexpensive site location permits and a septic permit and get going.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:12 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
That means that you needed to find a place for sale where these "building codes" and such are just things that I read about on the Internet: looking to build a low impact home. Which county?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:03 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Stevens County is where you want to be.....for those of you in western Washington it is north of Spokane about 50 miles.

http://www.co.stevens.wa.us/landserv...gOrdinance.pdf

Old 11-10-2015, 12:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
I think you want to be in Boundary County, Idaho.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Stevens County is where you want to be.....for those of you in western Washington it is north of Spokane about 50 miles.

http://www.co.stevens.wa.us/landserv...gOrdinance.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I think you want to be in Boundary County, Idaho.
I have lived in both of those areas as well as Okanogan County - and although I have never lived "off the grid", I can tell you that Okanogan County has far more people doing this than either of those. I don't know if it has to do with the building regulations or just the remote-ness of some of the areas there, but if you really want a off-the-grid/hermitlive-off-the-land lifestyle in the PNW, I would suggest North East Okanogan County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington