U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,451,135 times

Advertisements

What about wawa lol ^^
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 PM

13 posts, read 13,916 times
haha that also, actually theres not really many gas station food marts. I mean you have AM/PM but nothing like a Wawa or Sheetz. There's 7/11s out here , but NO Dunkin Donuts! But have no fear, most coffee places here are so much better and go get some fresh donuts form top pot! Overall I will say food is better on the east coast, but peaceful living is better here.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:18 PM

I actually rarely go to dunkin donuts for coffee. It's good and all but I usually go to wawa as it's closer and when I was in NYC I just went to the corner store. Anyway yeah at this point I'm all for more peaceful living and cheaper rent lol

Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 PM

12,801 posts, read 11,939,462 times
Great answers. For the record, I lived in NYC for 7 years, and northern NJ for 3. I don't live in Tacoma proper, but I am not terribly far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I have many reasons I don't like NJ. The cost of living here is ridiculous. To live in a decent area in north jersey area outside of the NYC area you are basically paying NYC apartment costs and in some cases even more.
True. NJ is expensive, and comparable in many cases to NYC pricing. Land taxes are exorbitant, and commuting costs into the city are painful. Plus, state income taxes, and commuter taxes if you work in the city, are quite high. WA state has no income tax. Sales taxes are a wash. If you are sick of NJ because of the cost, then Washington is a good option, but you will need a car.

Quote:
I was paying less than that in NYC and my apartment was bigger and of course it's NYC so way more stuff to do, better public transportation etc etc. I get that Tacoma is basically a suburb but the apartment prices seem reasonable and they look way better than what I'm paying for now.
If you are going to stick with price, I agree. NYC has way more to do than NJ, but also more to do than Seattle and Tacoma combined. NYC public transit is way better than Tacoma.

Quote:
Also, I'm going to go ahead and assume the bad areas in Tacoma are nothing compared to what we have out in the NJ/NYC/Philly area. Never actually been there just going by what I've read online.
I would agree with you. I have seen seedy in Washington, but nothing like Newark

Quote:
Also Tacoma is within close proximity to many different parks that is better than anything you will see out here (goes without saying).
Mmmmm, northern Jersey has some great parks. Tacoma is nothing special in that regard. If you drive an hour or two outside of Tacoma you get great areas in the cascades or Olympic mountains, so WA state has the definite advantage there.

Quote:
Driving here is terrible. I'm not talking about traffic I'm talking how you have to make circles everywhere to get to your destination.
Traffic in WA can be pretty bad, and I speak as a guy who commuted across the GW bridge or took NJ transit for years. Circles in NJ? Maybe a bit, but the GCP and I-280 seemed pretty efficient to me.

Quote:
In terms of outdoor activities there isn't much unless you want to drive a few hours away I guess? I mean ya there are some parks but the ones I've been to are all terrible. I have one down the street it's just a man made pond surrounded by a busy street with oil slicks and trash floating in it. Not much to look at. That is just a couple things off the top of my head that annoy me.
Again, I differ. NJ has some great regional parks. South Mountain Reservation is quite nice for a suburban park.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensley13 View Post
Hey Fluffydelisions,

I actually moved here from NJ (Hoboken) in July. I am currently living in Bothell (about 30 minutes north east of Seattle). I grew up in NJ and lived their all my life (except for 4 years of college). When my wife and I landed here our first reaction was "it's hot! but not humid!" The nice thing is even this past summer which was supposed to be abnormal by PNW standards, temp drops around 30 degrees at night. I will bike to work at times and when I bike in it will be around 50-60 degrees, and i'll leave to come home around 80. That was Late August early September.

Now it's becoming typical Seattle weather and rainy. If you are ok with dampness and the grayness than this place is fantastic .

The traffic here, is horrendous. It is way worst than NYC/NJ traffic. Even on weekends you can expect some major backups . I have not visited Tacoma yet so I can't tell you what to expect there. One town I love out here that's a lot of fun is Woodinville. It's suburban, has a town center with a grocery store, target, movie theater, Chipotle, some breweries, and access to the trails.

I will say very quickly you will miss the following things :
-Bagels
-Pizza
-Good Bread

BUT you gain INCREDIBLE beer, seafood, and the people here are way more friendly. I still love my home state of NJ, but I don't think I'm moving back.

Bagels. I miss them. Try Blazing Bagels in Redmond. Best bagels I have found in the area.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:09 PM

7,949 posts, read 7,507,225 times
Here's a 2bd/2ba apt, 934 sq/ft, with living/dining area, deck, in-unit w/d, parking, right in downtown Tacoma (near free light rail line), for $1,295. The same unit in Seattle would be $2,500-3,000.

APT: Toscana - Two Bedrooms, Two Baths - Villaggio Apartments in Tacoma, WA | Zillow

Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM

So did any of you guys who moved there drive over? That's what we are planning on doing. Make the cross country trip.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:47 PM

13 posts, read 13,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Bagels. I miss them. Try Blazing Bagels in Redmond. Best bagels I have found in the area.
Yeah i've tried them and they are good (LOVE a good Salt bagel!) probably the best in this region. I went home to visit family and pigged out on pork roll and bagels..ugh still nothing comes close

Old 11-04-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
So did any of you guys who moved there drive over? That's what we are planning on doing. Make the cross country trip.
Yes. Rented a 22,000 lb GVW truck and car trailer from Penske. I-80 through Nebraska, cut up to Yellowstone to stay a few days, then across Wyoming to Washington. It cost somewhere between $6,000-$7,000, which included vehicle rental, insurance, gas, lodging, packing supplies, unloading labor, and a per diem for meals.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 AM

7,949 posts, read 7,507,225 times
Much cheaper to sell everything and fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington