Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the proposed re-structure?
I support having the WA state forum divided into sub-forums as outlined. 40 80.00%
I don't believe that there will be enough traffic to support having so many new sub-forums created at once. 6 12.00%
I have a better idea which I will explain in a post in this thread. 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 44,073 times

Advertisements

Clearly there's going to be some measure of arbitrary boundaries here.

May I suggest labelling the areas as "zones", and dividing them by area codes or zip codes? By grouping the areas this way, we may still have some towns divided into two different zones, but searches could be easier; search for your zip or area code, and if it's not in one zone, it's in an adjacent one. Wouldn't take much to write a few lines of XML to direct readers to the correct posts if they search by city name, regardless of the zone the town is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,056,523 times
Chinook, I like your ideas of zones. Geographical zones using place or area names seems feasible, and it seems most people posting about this subject are in favor of your idea, in one way or another.

But since City-Data forums provide out-of-staters with relocation information, how could they begin to sort through the maze of zip codes? Or want to? I don't think out-of-staters have the slightest knowledge of, or interest in, our zip codes, and I myself don't have the time or interest to memorize and retain dozens of zip codes for the state of Washington. But regional zones sounds doable.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 18,998,909 times
No, I don't think ZIP codes is going to work. It's a bit too micromanaging for this forum.

At one time I did consider dividing the fourm by telephone Area Codes, though.

206, 425, 253 = Seattle Metropolitan Area Forum

509 = Eastern Washington Forum

360 = General Washington Forum

Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 AM

470 posts, read 1,702,789 times
When is this restructuring likely to take place?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I know, but you said this

<snip> ...So you say Seattle area includes King/Snohomish/Pierce Counties but you are not sure about the suburbs of Everett and Tacoma?? That's why I tried this on the map. Edmonds and Lynnwood are much closer to Seattle than Skykomish, North Bend and even Issaquah.

Yes, and that's why I've said that we can eventually consider the southern Snohomish county towns and possibly some northern Pierce county areas as part of the Seattle Area sub-forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post

Good question, Suzer. Our esteemed Adminstrator makes the decision. From past experience, I don't believe he holds Washington state high on his list of priorities.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:01 PM

3,172 posts, read 2,730,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
These sub-forums will be added within the next couple weeks.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,597 posts, read 57,556,690 times
I support minimal divisions to keep thread activity to one page per 24 hrs.

I find I am less apt to post on forums that have too many divisions, as you have to browse them all to find out is you are double posting. (unless you have VERY specific discussions) Many strong contributors have a broad knowledge and I will miss their input, and being able to get a state wide "snapshot".

I would not have a East/West division, as I feel the cross-mountain discussion aids in uniting our already politically, and weather divided state. I would divide by posting activity level. Having grown up in little dinky towns... I feel the East West division would be cause the 'east' side to be slighted, and it might wither and die (as a forum). Tho the tough Eastside residents are the backbone and stability of our diverse state. ...(and tolerant... of Olympia and the bone-head 'westside' laws that make it so hard for them to farm and operate businesses)

Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM

As we've already pointed out, there will be no "east" division. It was suggested to me sometime last year and had much support from those I asked if the idea was credible. I thought it might be workable because all the major population centers east of the Cascades would be grouped into that "division," such as Spokane, Tri-Cities, Yakima, Wenatchee, etc. However, the Administrator has told me many times that he doesn't want to split a large geographical area into having a sub-forum of its own.

Even if there was a sub-forum that defined the area east of the Cascades, discussions pertaining to cross-mountain comparisons could still take place in the general forum. My observation tells me that because of the vast differences in terrain and climate, not to mention the political leanings, there are very few threads that directly compare Walla Walla to Port Angeles for instance.

I don't feel that even if an "east of the Cascades" forum was to be formed, that it would wither and die. There is enough traffic in threads pertaining to Spokane and the Tri-Cities alone to sustain the traffic in such a sub-forum, in my opinion.

You're absolutely correct, janb, when saying that having too many divisions hinders the traffic. However, the sub-forums proposed are distinct from each other and are major population centers. Yes, I'm a bit worried that if such a division as proposed were to take place, that there in fact will be enough traffic to justify the move. I think there will be eventually.

I'm ok with whatever the Administrator sees fit to do. I only proposed such a division because of input from others over the past year. They have noted having a difficult time sifting through the main forum looking for posts on specific areas and expressed to me that they thought it was a good idea to consider having sub-forums for those areas.

For the moderator that takes over the forum, it will definitely be more work to watch more forums. So from that standpoint, I wish that person luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington