Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,076 times

Advertisements

So, I wanted to make people aware of what happened to me with a house I purchased for investment, so that you don't make the same mistake. The moral of the story is do your homework, and if it seems to good to be true it probably is.
I decided to buy my first investment property in my Hometown of Tacoma, WA. 1410 S. 56th Street. The process was easy enough and I got it for a song! I bought the house, only having viewed it from the outside, as a foreclosure from the bank, but given the low price I was sure I had make a good choice even if the inside was in bad shape. A few short weeks later we closed escrow, I went to the house I found an entire small community of squatters living in it. I told them get they hell out, and they called the cops on ME! Turns out you can just squat in any abandoned house and you all of the sudden have a ton of rights to stay there. It cost me thousands of dollars to get them evicted some time later. They took out their anger on the house, and cut into the supporting beams before they left. The ceiling was sagging and the plumbing had some type of glue in it. I got three estimates for repair, all of which were over $100K!!. The crazy thing is that the house is barely worth $100k even if it was in great shape. I quit paying the mortgage because I couldn't afford to have it fixed. The same bank that sold it to me was carrying the note, and they foreclosed in a short time because I wasn't living thier. On top of all of this they are trying to sue me for damages.
In the end I am out almost $50,000, I am being sued, and I have nothing to show for it. You have to love America. Knowing the underhanded bank they will try to resell the property, hell the squatters probably work for the bank now that I think about it. 1410 S 56th Street Tacoma, WA I will not miss you one bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Squatter Nightmare-toilet.jpg   Squatter Nightmare-ceiling.jpg   Squatter Nightmare-ceiling-2.jpg   Squatter Nightmare-0000_1564520600_large.jpg   Squatter Nightmare-hole-joist-cracked.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:16 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
And folks wonder why no one goes around fixing up blighted properties.

Sorry you had to learn such a tough lesson, OP.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:40 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, I can't believe you bought a house without EVER having seen the inside.

Perhaps that was your (first) mistake?

Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Funny cause I just saw it on trulia lol
1410 South 56th Street, Tacoma, WA For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 AM

420 posts, read 704,105 times
What a horrible story! So sorry, OP, a harsh lesson learned. What are you doing to repair your credit?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I can't believe you bought a house without EVER having seen the inside.

Perhaps that was your (first) mistake?
In my state, the buyer of a foreclosure isn't usually allowed access to the property until all paperwork is signed. One can only drive by and assess the situation.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
In my state, the buyer of a foreclosure isn't usually allowed access to the property until all paperwork is signed. One can only drive by and assess the situation.
Seriously? I had no idea! (And I apologize to the OP for my misconception, if this is the case in his state too.)

I am flabbergasted that you would be expected to buy something without actually looking at it first (other than the outside walls)? I know that's done with storage units, but that's not quite comparable to buying a house.

Wow. Again, I'm flabbergasted.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan Cannon View Post
I bought the house, only having viewed it from the outside
Betcha won't do THAT again.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:32 AM

634 posts, read 896,767 times
Now I know why a friend back in Kansas City that flips houses always had to have an army of goons with him.

Sorry that happened OP.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:22 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan Cannon View Post
A few short weeks later we closed escrow, I went to the house I found an entire small community of squatters living in it. I told them get they hell out, and they called the cops on ME! Turns out you can just squat in any abandoned house and you all of the sudden have a ton of rights to stay there. .
Wow, so sorry about your experience!
When the people squatting called the police, did a cop actually show up and stick up for the squatters??
Did you get an explanation as to WHY they would have rights to the property you bought?
Why couldn't you press charges when so much damage was done after closing escrow, or did they just disappear into the night never to be seen again? I know you wouldn't be able to get monetary justice from them, but they should be arrested... if not, they'll just do it to someone else and get away with it. They shouldn't get away with it!!
How awful for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: