Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,116 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving from Casper, WY to Washington and I'm looking in the Everett/Marysville area. My concern is being able to find a job. I work for the State of WY and make good money and have good benefits. I do not have a bachelors degree, and don't want to really start out in an entry level position. I have a medical background. What are the chances of finding a good job around this area?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
The answer to this question depends enormously on what it is that you actually do for a living.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 AM

735 posts, read 871,497 times
OP's stats are:

"1 posts, read 2 times"

I wonder if it's worth replying to people like this.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,116 times
Well thank you for the responses. New to this, so not exactly sure how it works, so rudeness is not needed. I am a Claims Analyst, but have experience in the medical field.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Look online for positions you are qualified for in that area. It's not deprived and doesn't have massive unemployment. Plenty of health centers and insurance companies.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:55 PM

450 posts, read 550,156 times
sounds like you have a good position in WY, could you stay there and look at job opportunities before moving out?

Old 12-04-2015, 07:44 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Why don't you look for a similar position with the State of Washington? Look on WorkSource.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:29 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Washington has one of the highest education levels in the country. You'll be competing against people with bachelors for entry level jobs and masters for higher paying positions.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
With our metro area population being so much larger, there is a lot more medical facilities hiring. There are however, many people moving here every day looking for jobs, with education ad experience, so the competition is fierce. You would be better off finding work before coming, but if you decide to take the plunge, please consider bring enough to live on for 5-6 months while looking for a job. I'd recommend $10,000 since motel rentals are expensive and no one will rent an apartment to someone with no job. The Everett/Marysville area is one of the more affordable, but for good reasons, so do the research before deciding on a place to live just based on the low rent.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 AM

8 posts, read 19,193 times
I would argue that the Everett/Marysville is more affordable for the simple fact that it is not Seattle, nor on the east side. yes, it is that simple. Having lived in Seattle and being essentially priced out as a home buyer, I can tell you that there are much better real estate options northward. In Seattle you literally purchase the dirt, even if it isn't feasible for a foundation and littered with malt liquor bottles. There are garbage homes in need of a wrecking balls going for $600,000. You can get a much better home in Everett, Marysville, or Lake Stevens in comparable or better neighborhoods. Out of the 3, I would go with Everett for convenience, food, and a nice, growing downtown, but if you are working from home or the commute isn't problematic, Lake Stevens gets major points for being a beautiful suburbia. Throw Snohomish in there too. Marysville is... meh....

Regarding jobs, the economy here is very strong. If you are looking in the Everett area, much of it revolves around Boeing and medical services but the area is growing considerably. You will, however, be facing a very high level of competition in most fields, so be sure you have secured a position or at least have a sizable nest egg to tide you over before making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington