Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 AM
mev

154 posts, read 295,580 times

Advertisements

Port Townsend also has a drive-in theater!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:38 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Port Townsend also has a drive-in theater!

Awesome - I'm not aware of that. That automatically improves the area, then!

Old 03-05-2016, 02:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
Not so sure about the "drug Haven". LOL...

But yes natural areas up in the bunkers on top of the bluff, not alot of paved parking lots..

That's exactly what I love about Fort Worden. Exploring the woods and the old bunkers, make one feel like you are the first person to ever discover them!

That's cool to me..

I personally am NOT a "Disneyland" kind of person...

The unattended kid thing... Little kids are not going to wonder off that far from below.. It takes effort to walk up on the bluff.

But yes indeed parents should attend their children!

Their are park Warden's... I know, because they keep my kids in line when jumping off pilings, or other hooligan activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Comparison: Fort Worden is in a natural run down over grown site. Its actually kind of unsafe for unattended children with and some what a drug haven in the bunkers. No supervision of any kind..you are on your own.
Actually there two sets of bunkers at Fort Worden and a lot of people don't realize that. The lower bunkers along the water near the Light house and the upper bunkers on top of the hill. The Upper bunkers are a walk up hill (no signs as far as I remember) and when you get to the top its the same kind of unkempt cement bunkers, only more of them. But actually a little more interesting as you can get a decent view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the shipping lanes which you can't get from below.

Fort Casey: is a well kept park...mowed lawns and picnic areas and still has a couple well kept guns and emplacement on site. There are railing around the top of the bunkers to keep people safe. Paved parking lots.... Fort Worden has none of those features.

There is another park on the other side of Port Townsend on Marrowstone Island called Fort Flagler that has bunkers that are kept up I believe by the state parks department, but not sure.
There are a lot of military barracks and support facilities for the garrison that was stationed there. I believe there are at least one gun emplacement still there...but again I haven't been there since the 90's.
On a side note there is one of the best clamming beaches on the tip of Marrowstone across from Indian Island. They had a class to show people how to clam and clean them. Great fun for all ages.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:18 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
I love the vastness & the relative "wildness" of Fort Worden! I would hate to see it all artificially groomed & homogenized!

Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,405,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I love the vastness & the relative "wildness" of Fort Worden! I would hate to see it all artificially groomed & homogenized!
What? Fort Worden when you first enter the park is what you hate, artificially groomed and you differently would not like Fort Casey or for that matter....Fort Flagler.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Not so sure about the "drug Haven". LOL....
We are talking about Port Townsend....right?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
What? Fort Worden when you first enter the park is what you hate, artificially groomed and you differently would not like Fort Casey or for that matter....Fort Flagler.
Have you done anything at Fort Warden besides wander around the buildings? I have been to Fort Flagler often & like it fine, can't speak to Fort Casey.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Have you done anything at Fort Warden besides wander around the buildings? I have been to Fort Flagler often & like it fine, can't speak to Fort Casey.
Interesting post...but very contradictory.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Interesting post...but very contradictory.
I suppose the same could be said for your posts...

Old 03-08-2016, 03:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
The contrast/diversity of Fort Worden is what I too like. Like 3 different parks in one.

Neat and groomed.. Barracks
Planned activity.. Marine science/lighthouse/Beach area
Wild and untamed.. Bunkers and woods on the bluff.

Something for everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington