Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:01 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times

Advertisements

A little story about an electric car as reported by the PDN. Witnessed a while back on 3rd street north an electric car not able to climb the hill and had to run an extension cord to a near by house to make it up the hill.

The technology leaves a little to be desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 12:43 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
A little story about an electric car as reported by the PDN. Witnessed a while back on 3rd street north an electric car not able to climb the hill and had to run an extension cord to a near by house to make it up the hill.

Good to know. I've researched Teslas, and the battery charge gets depleted when the weather gets outside of a narrow temperate zone. 80+ heat? Freezing temps? Fuggetabout it. To say nothing of the effect of climbing hills and mountains. It's a great idea for flat areas around the west coast if you can avoid extreme temps, which is getting more difficult with global warming.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:45 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I think if Fort Warden wanted to up grade their tourism they should take some advise from the people who takes care of Fort Warden sister fortification, Fort Casey on Whidbey Island. I would rather go to Fort Casey than Fort Warden.
Oh? What's Fort Casey like? I've never heard of it.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good to know. I've researched Teslas, and the battery charge gets depleted when the weather gets outside of a narrow temperate zone. 80+ heat? Freezing temps? Fuggetabout it. To say nothing of the effect of climbing hills and mountains. It's a great idea for flat areas around the west coast if you can avoid extreme temps, which is getting more difficult with global warming.
That's why I rely almost entirely on human-powered transportation: walking, bicycling and kayaking. When my health has deteriorated so much that I can't transport myself, that's when it will be time for me to leave this mortal coil and return the non-existence from which I emerged...

Old 03-03-2016, 05:16 PM

Check out Fort Casey on the west side, mid-Island if you're ever on the Island. It is fun to poke around there and get some exercise climbing on the concrete supporting the gun turrets. Nice views from there, too. It is a trip down history lane.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:41 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Hasn't there been a restaurant in Fort Warden for years now. I remember one when I used to camp there in the 90's.

There has been a summer cantina at the beach, which a new operator managed last year, with added and better offerings. It is still a beach stand, however, not a dinner-type restaurant. Nice lunch stop if you have been swimming or paddling or hiking nearby.

The food service inside The Commons also expanded its menu and hours. At one time there was talk of keeping it open later for dinner, but that has since been removed from consideration. It is open for breakfast and lunch, mostly sandwiches, coffee, pastries, and other light fare. They had daily hot specials last summer that were very good. I am under the impression those might not be featured again. They probably want to shift customers toward the liquor-selling place instead, not considering that there might not be a shift.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:

Fort Casey is a day-use park right at the Coupeville ferry terminal. It might be a little overlooked because Fort Ebey is also on Whidbey a few miles north. Both are beautiful sites. Heck, all the old seaside forts are beautiful.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Comparison: Fort Worden is in a natural run down over grown site. Its actually kind of unsafe for unattended children with and some what a drug haven in the bunkers. No supervision of any kind..you are on your own.
Actually there two sets of bunkers at Fort Worden and a lot of people don't realize that. The lower bunkers along the water near the Light house and the upper bunkers on top of the hill. The Upper bunkers are a walk up hill (no signs as far as I remember) and when you get to the top its the same kind of unkempt cement bunkers, only more of them. But actually a little more interesting as you can get a decent view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the shipping lanes which you can't get from below.

Fort Casey: is a well kept park...mowed lawns and picnic areas and still has a couple well kept guns and emplacement on site. There are railing around the top of the bunkers to keep people safe. Paved parking lots.... Fort Worden has none of those features.

There is another park on the other side of Port Townsend on Marrowstone Island called Fort Flagler that has bunkers that are kept up I believe by the state parks department, but not sure.
There are a lot of military barracks and support facilities for the garrison that was stationed there. I believe there are at least one gun emplacement still there...but again I haven't been there since the 90's.
On a side note there is one of the best clamming beaches on the tip of Marrowstone across from Indian Island. They had a class to show people how to clam and clean them. Great fun for all ages.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:01 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
There has been a summer cantina at the beach, which a new operator managed last year, with added and better offerings. It is still a beach stand, however, not a dinner-type restaurant. Nice lunch stop if you have been swimming or paddling or hiking nearby.

The food service inside The Commons also expanded its menu and hours. At one time there was talk of keeping it open later for dinner, but that has since been removed from consideration. It is open for breakfast and lunch, mostly sandwiches, coffee, pastries, and other light fare. They had daily hot specials last summer that were very good. I am under the impression those might not be featured again. They probably want to shift customers toward the liquor-selling place instead, not considering that there might not be a shift.
Oh yeah..I now remember that cantina/store..it was across the road from the docks at the lower entrance to the camp ground. Great place to buy ice cream on a hot summer day.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 AM

Both Whidbey and Camano Islands are beautiful islands and though off-topic from here a bit, Anacortes and Fidalgo Island are beautiful connected by the Deception Pass Bridge on the north end of Whidbey Island. Incidentally, on Whidbey Island you can find an example of one of America's mostly-disappearing treasures, a drive-in theater. It is called the Blue Fox Drive-In Theater and they do have their own website. They have go-karts, video games and your standard snack bar there. Nice facility and lots of good memories from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington